Tips for changing from controller to wheel

• Thread starter stpatty
  • 13 comments
Scotland
Scotland
stpatty
A few months ago I made a thread about switching from automatic to manual transmission, asking for advice. It was very helpful, and I took to the change more quickly and effectively than I was expecting. In the short time I used that system I noticeably became better at car control, had the added bonus of being able to short shift when necessary, and I was generally forced to pay more attention when I race.

Now, after 1000+ races and 630+ hours of driving, I have a G29. I have it set up on a very awkward fold-up wooden table that moves if I steer too hard and a chair that's just too high for the pedals to feel fully comfortable, but that's the best I can manage. That's also not really the problem I've had, so I figured I'd make another thread.

With the wheel and pedals, I think I've taken to the pedals more easily than the wheel. I'm still getting used to having different pressures for throttle and brakes, but for the most part this had felt natural and easily controllable. I don't drive in real life, so I'm especially surprised by this.

My big problem, across the few cars I've driven, is the steering. There have been several occasions when I'm going round a corner, I'm turning, I wish that I was turning more sharply and then I realise I can turn the wheel more. Since it's easier to apply full steering lock with a joystick than a wheel (or at least quicker) I know this is going to be something that comes with time, but how do you balance turning the wheel enough to corner properly while still being smooth and not jerking the car around?

What cars are the best to learn with? The only cars I've driven properly online so far are the Mk I Golf in this week's race, and the Red Bull Junior and Gr.4 Nissan from last Saturday's FIA races. All of these are relatively slow (150mph tops with the two race cars), and they're all quite stable. I tried to drive the Gr.3 Nissan at Laguna Seca yesterday and it was a complete disaster. I had hoped a switch to a wheel would make it easier to drive without traction control, but this didn't seem to come easily even with me being careful with the throttle. Or if it did, it was at the expense of about 5 seconds a lap against DR C players. Is it better to go with TCS off as a default, or should I go on a car by car basis seeing where it's necessary?

And on that note, is it better to stick with slower or more easily controllable cars while I'm learning? As I type that out I realise how obvious it sounds, but there seems to be a much bigger difference between different kinds of cars. The Golf and the Red Bull are both easy to drive but in different ways, but when I tried one of the Porsche endurance events I couldn't string two corners together without going off. How difficult is it to control the more powerful road and race cars, really?

I know this is a better way of playing the game and will make me faster and better in the long run. I reset my DR when I switched to the wheel full time, so I also know that my DR has gone from ~8000 to ~41000 before, so it can again. I'm better at racing, I know the game better, and I'm not as jittery when I'm close to winning a race at this level as I used to be (even though I can see it in other people, the last minute blocks and dives are so desperate it's almost sad), so I'm also in a better position to improve than I was before. My problem is being able to translate that knowledge through my new control method.

Anyone been through a similar experience before? Any aliens like Danny Solis able to share how you can qualify for a live event exclusively on a controller then win races using a wheel?

tbh just driving is the only way to improve being able to make the transition. Don't loose confidence or anything and practise a lot in the beginning. You also don't need to apply full steering lock as that'll just make you understeer straight out of corners and usually 95% of corners can be take with a steering angle of <180° so you don't even have to get the hands off the wheel to make it turn more.

I am - however - not really the best person to give advice here since I made my transition from an actual joystick to the wheel ca. 15 years ago and do most of my driving with the wheel (only PS2-games, Wreckfest and GTA with controller). Driving GTS with the controller for me always feels weird and I cannot understand how people can be so quick with it :lol:

Yep at first it's a weird transition and quite similar to learning how to ride a bike.. at first you will fail and fail and fail but the more you keep attempting it you will eventually find the flow and before you know it you will be off and there will be no stopping you ;)👍 Don't give up and before you know it you will be driving the wheel as confidently as you did on the pad 👍

Practice makes perfect as they say!! Good luck with it mate :cheers:

My big problem, across the few cars I've driven, is the steering. There have been several occasions when I'm going round a corner, I'm turning, I wish that I was turning more sharply and then I realise I can turn the wheel more. Since it's easier to apply full steering lock with a joystick than a wheel (or at least quicker) I know this is going to be something that comes with time, but how do you balance turning the wheel enough to corner properly while still being smooth and not jerking the car around?
Let me know when you find the answer! For me, this is the number 1 skill the game requires, knowing exactly how much to turn the wheel, that and adjusting speed so you're going at the exact speed that matches the available steering ability. In a real car, you can feel the grip, but I can't feel anything in the game that tells me where peak grip is, so when I turn the wheel too far and get understeer, there doesn't seem to be any way to know you're just before that point. The sound of the tyres is the best guide I've found.

Incidentally, I don't think you're ever applying full lock with the controller stick, as far as I'm aware the game limits the steering input for you, so full movement of the stick isn't the same as applying full lock with the wheel. If you're going on a straight at high speed, and slam the wheel to full lock, you push the front wheels so far past peak grip that the car just goes straight on, i.e. with a wheel, once you're past peak grip, the car turns less and less the more you turn the wheel, and scrubs speed off.

@breeminator, I saw you in one of Kie's YT videos last night. Good job on the win. 👍

Back to @stpatty, I made the transition a couple of months ago as well. Nothing will replace practice. I also learned that in order to turn a car, you don't need as much steering input in the wheel as you do with the DS4 controller. As mentioned, many wheels will simulate a loss of traction from the front tires. I've interpreted this to mean that I have too much steering input & can release some of my input. Also check your settings in the GTS menu. If you find yourself getting a handful of steering feedback, turn down the force feedback setting. When I made my transition, I was getting aggressive resistance when I would drive over a curb or started to get oversteer. It was making this new experience an unpleasant one. I personally turned my FFB settings to 1. It helped, as did my DR/SR, since I won 5 daily races that week. But, I've also won 5 races in a week before on the controller, so that's not a good indicator of the wheel making anybody a better driver in the game. Personally, I enjoy the feeling of driving as if I was in the car. Trying to flip through the gears on the L2/R2 buttons is not the same as flipping the paddles behind the wheel. I fell in love with the wheel a few weeks ago when we had the SF19 cars at Catalunya. The little cars were so quick that I've had trouble controlling them on the DS4, but were a ton of fun on the wheel.

Ive jad my G29 for over a year now and wont look back, it was a good 3 month learning curve. Practice on the track you feel most comfortable on, start with a slow car i.e. the mazda mx5. Set a time with the DS4 than practice untill you beat it. You need to learn what the ffb is telling you with understeer. I was either turning too little or too much when i started. It just takes time. But the rewards of fast times, lower tyre wear, more immersion and fun definetly pay off in the end.

I notice you say you don't drive in real life. Maybe you should. If you did, most of these issues will disappear in the first 10km.

I've had this when I've stopped using a wheel for a while. First time I tackled Brands Hatch with a wheel in GTS this weekend, I ploughed straight off at Paddock Hill about 10 times in a row simply veacsue I wasn't turning the wheel enough!

Focus more on what the FFB is telling you. To begin with it's just like the wheel is tugging away but it can give you useful information about when you're around the grip limits.

I notice you say you don't drive in real life. Maybe you should. If you did, most of these issues will disappear in the first 10km.
This is easy to say, but what if the user is under the age of 17, or for whatever reason, can't apply for a theory test at the time?

Last edited:

This is easy to say, but what if the user is under the age of 17, or for whatever reason, can't apply for a theory test at the time?
Bit older than that, sadly.

When I made this thread I'd only really played GT Sport. I tried Project Cars and Assetto Corsa just to check everything worked properly. I played PCars for a bit on Monday driving a kart and a BMW of some sort (325?). The difference in feedback was amazing. The amount of effort I had to put in to keep the car on the road and physically turn the wheel was huge. Going back to GT Sport felt like I was playing with a toy. I know practice and familiarity are the big things I'm going to need, but based on my PCars experience I think playing a range of games is going to help.

My DR has improved significantly since I switched to the wheel and I can still be competitive (mostly) at the level I'm at. The main problem now is consistency. This was always a problem, but it's worse now I'm less certain about my inputs. I've also noticed it takes longer for me to be competitive with a car/track combo. Today's Manufacturer race is Gr.3 at Suzuka - I know I can drive the GT-R there and be really quick, but it'll take me longer to get there with the wheel.

If nothing else, I'm definitely improving. It'll just take a while before I feel genuinely comfortable.

Try turning the tire squeal up so you can hear what they're doing and you'll soon tune in to where you can push more or if you need to back off with your steering.

It'll just take a while before I feel genuinely comfortable.

A set position makes it much easier for your limbs to learn the inputs when they're constant every time so I'd look to improve on your set up. Your high chair with a low, wobbly table aren't doing you any favours while you're learning but your chiropractor will be happy.:P

A set position makes it much easier for your limbs to learn the inputs when they're constant every time so I'd look to improve on your set up. Your high chair with a low, wobbly table aren't doing you any favours while you're learning but your chiropractor will be happy.:P
I actually did manage to improve this. The only problem now is because I only use the middle and right pedal, I feel like my legs are slanted to the side. It's pretty much fine though.

The only problem now is because I only use the middle and right pedal, I feel like my legs are slanted to the side. It's pretty much fine though.

As long as your wheel is solidly mounted, you should be fine.

I've got Playseat Evo that had me sitting like that so I bought one of these. Together with the clutch spring, it added some much needed resistance to the brake and I could move my left leg away from the post. Might be worth a look to square you up.

Back