Tips for ds3 users ????

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lou14
  • 14 comments
  • 1,288 views
Messages
11
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I have being using a ds3 ever since I started playing gt but I have never been a good at cornering. My biggest problem is oversteer probably because of my throttle control any tips for improving throttle control or oversteer would be really appreciated.
 
Use L2/R2 for acceleration and braking our you can use the analog stick. It all can be changed in the options menu.
 
I'd advise you to configure your controller so that both throttle and brake can be implemented and moderated simultaneously and independently of each other because oversteer under throttle can be lessened by slight brake application and oversteer under braking can be lessened by slight throttle application. Also, any inputs you make with either of the analog sticks should be done so with your thumb on top of the stick rather than to the edges so that you don't need to reposition your thumb on the other side to correct the car or simply to continue driving fast on a technical track. Here's my configuration:
Gas/Brake = Right Stick
Aux Brake = L2 (for use simultaneously with gas)
Shift Up = R2
Shift Down = R1
Handbrake = L1
Reverse = Triangle
Steering = Left Stick
Nitrous = R3 (I rarely use it and only use it at full throttle)
 
L2 - Brake
R2 - Gas
R1 - Flash/Toggle High/Low Beam
L1 - Windscreen Wipers
Left Stick - Steering
Right Stick (Up/Down) - Gear Shifting
Right Stick (Left/Right) - Look Left/Right
Circle - Handbrake
Triangle - Reverse
D-pad (Down) - Nitro
L3 - Horn
R3 - Look Back

I have a wheel now but this worked very well for me. My other suggestion is get a steering wheel. Doesn't have to be a brand new Thrustmaster T500, just something that works, hope this helps.
 
I only use three buttons on my DS3. L2/R2/Left Stick.

But, get a wheel. Because, driving pro yo. :)
 
If you use manual, let off the gas before you shift. This helps tire spin on some tracks.

EDIT: Especially in high powered vehicles.
 
Last edited:
I have being using a ds3 ever since I started playing gt but I have never been a good at cornering. My biggest problem is oversteer probably because of my throttle control any tips for improving throttle control or oversteer would be really appreciated.

"Never been good at cornering"... that may cause you a problem.


Get yourself an Xbox controller with a cross over box, I'm amazed anyone can use those crappy Ds3's...

You need to practice more, thats the long and short of it, sorry.
 
in all honesty, i would save up some money and get a dfgt wheel, if you find yourself really liking the wheel, then there are much better, more expensive options available
 
Thanks for all the tips but I can't really buy a wheel at the moment as I've just bought a ps4
 
No matter what button settings, you'll have to learn to control throttle with your fingers so you can play on the range between flat and off as needed. It's mostly a matter of developing the necessary fine motor skills (is that term right?) and getting used to the progression of the controller. For practice you could maybe take a car to SSX and drive it consistently at a certain rpm or speed (lower than what the car could) and hold it there, both uphill and downhill the bridge. Next step could be to see how fast you can switch between different rpm's and so on. There are also some corners like Parabolica in Monza were it is very easy to practice starting gently and increasing throttle slowly.

Generally you should avoid being too hard on initial throttle application. "Step" on it soft and gentle and increase once the tyres found some grip and the car settled the change in weight transfer. With some practice this process can get very quick later on, but it remains important not to rush the button down as hard as possible but as soft as needed.
 
No matter what button settings, you'll have to learn to control throttle with your fingers so you can play on the range between flat and off as needed. It's mostly a matter of developing the necessary fine motor skills (is that term right?) and getting used to the progression of the controller. For practice you could maybe take a car to SSX and drive it consistently at a certain rpm or speed (lower than what the car could) and hold it there, both uphill and downhill the bridge. Next step could be to see how fast you can switch between different rpm's and so on. There are also some corners like Parabolica in Monza were it is very easy to practice starting gently and increasing throttle slowly.

Generally you should avoid being too hard on initial throttle application. "Step" on it soft and gentle and increase once the tyres found some grip and the car settled the change in weight transfer. With some practice this process can get very quick later on, but it remains important not to rush the button down as hard as possible but as soft as needed.
Thanks I'll give that ago
 
I used a ds3 on gt6 and platinum the game. I'm not a very good racer overall. Well at least on the gt series.
 
Also turn off vibration. Its immersive but it shakes the controller alot. I don't know how it is with update 1.06 though.
 
I used a ds3 on gt6 and platinum the game. I'm not a very good racer overall. Well at least on the gt series.

lol, that's no help at all. neither is telling someone to get a wheel when they ask for DS3 help. A couple of things could be used to help you.

First of all, if you are using racing tires... stop. On street cars it makes it near impossible to keep control because it's hard to use the finesse needed to deal with that much grip. I know it sounds stupid but try sport soft tires and have your mind blown.

Also, bring your steering sensitivity down to -2. most of the time when you start to oversteer it only takes a small amount of correction to fix the problem and that's hard to do with a DS3. with the lower sensitivity you can just flick the stick and your tires won't turn all the way. It's a small adjustment but makes a difference.

I would recommend uning the right stick for throttle/brake and having a second brake button like R2 or something. it's more wasy to make small throttle adjustments while using the stick but you can still manipulate gas and brake together using the top button.

Try shifting into the next gear for a split second when exiting a turn. When you go from full braking to gas in a corner there is a lot of weight moving around as well as torque trying to move weight around and it's more easy to break the rear tires loose. If you are coming into a 3rd gear corner then shift down to 3rd as you are braking but shift back to 4th when you use the throttle to exit. It takes less than a second for the car to get settled, then you shift back to 3rd for your acceleration.

Next is to slow down. it's better to go too slow than too fast. too slow keeps you on the track. you can't drive a track at 100% until you KNOW that track and your car.

Hope that helps, the sensitivity and gear changes will make the biggest difference for you i think. unless you are always on race tires, in that case the tire change to sports will be the biggest difference.
 
For me I run almost default settings except making room for the RA menu on my DS3.

As others have said, throttle control and using higher gears will reduce the corner exit oversteer. tweaking the differential and the weight distribution can also help.

The way I dialled my throttle control in was to take a notoriously tricky car to drive and reduce the grip and try and keep the tail in check. The Yellowbird with comfort hards is a good example of that.
 
Back