Tips For "Newer" Driver

• Thread starter FWS_666
  • 11 comments
United States
United States
mosinaddiction95
I'm not exactly a new driver. Been playing since GT2, but just recently got back into it and also got my first wheel and pedals rig. I'm really inconsistent, have horrible lap times, and make lots of mistakes. I think practice would help a ton, but with the setup I'm running (I have the wheel mounted on a stool and the pedals directly underneath), my back and feet start hurting after just a few minutes of playing, so I can't get a lot of practice in. Just looking for some tips that will help when I do feel like I can play for a while.

I'm not exactly a new driver. Been playing since GT2, but just recently got back into it and also got my first wheel and pedals rig. I'm really inconsistent, have horrible lap times, and make lots of mistakes. I think practice would help a ton, but with the setup I'm running (I have the wheel mounted on a stool and the pedals directly underneath), my back and feet start hurting after just a few minutes of playing, so I can't get a lot of practice in. Just looking for some tips that will help when I do feel like I can play for a while.
If your back and feet start hurting after just a few minutes of playing, I think it is your sitting position is wrong for you back to hurt but with your feet you might have your peddle base to close to your body but it is hard without a picture to see your setup, if you like I can show you my setup and give you and idea on how you can enjoy the game without hurting yourself. With your lap times it is all practise and practise and a good sitting position as well :).

It's definitely my set up. I can't have my steering wheel very close to me, but because of a cross joint that is on the stool, I can't have my pedals very far out either. I'm going to invest in a stand and better chair when I get the money.

1. Learn to left foot brake if you don't already.
2. Don't overdrive the car. The biggest mistake I see most drivers make online is entering corners too hot, missing the apex and having a messy exit. Enter slightly slower and your main focus should be on getting on the throttle as soon as possible without having to lift. The key to all laptimes is in getting on the throttle at exit as early as possible. Whoever gets on the throttle first, wins.
3. Learn to drive with harder tires, comforts on most street cars, sports hards on supercars. The lower grip will teach you how to balance the car and puts a premium on smoothness and consistency. Slapping racing tires on everything is a crutch that won't help you learn to drive and will give you bad habits.
4. Use the whole track on most corners. On entry you should have your outside tire on the white lines at the edge of the track and in some cases on the curbs, and at exit, the same thing. If you finish a corner and didn't do both of those, you left time on the track.

:edit (couldn't post the image will try again) i use a desk and chair with a monitor i would suggest going with something like that if you can afford it

1. Learn to left foot brake if you don't already.
2. Don't overdrive the car. The biggest mistake I see most drivers make online is entering corners too hot, missing the apex and having a messy exit. Enter slightly slower and your main focus should be on getting on the throttle as soon as possible without having to lift. The key to all laptimes is in getting on the throttle at exit as early as possible. Whoever gets on the throttle first, wins.
3. Learn to drive with harder tires, comforts on most street cars, sports hards on supercars. The lower grip will teach you how to balance the car and puts a premium on smoothness and consistency. Slapping racing tires on everything is a crutch that won't help you learn to drive and will give you bad habits.
4. Use the whole track on most corners. On entry you should have your outside tire on the white lines at the edge of the track and in some cases on the curbs, and at exit, the same thing. If you finish a corner and didn't do both of those, you left time on the track.

I think this has helped more than anything. Today I've just kind been concentrating on nothing but using the whole track and I feel like it has knocked a huge dent in my lap times.

That got me thinking, what about the narrow tracks like the events in GT6. I can't remember the name, but the road isn't much wider than the car. Obviously you can't use racing lines to your advantage as well, so what's some tips on that? Is it all in the footwork or is there a secret to it?

Been practicing and practicing, and I'm still horrible. I try to be smooth, I try not to overdrive the car, I try to brake late and accelerate early, and I still get piss poor laps. Especially on Goodwood. Not having any room to straighten out the lines and have a little run off really screws me. Can't figure it out. I've been playing probably 3-4 hours a day.

I'm stuck as well... I never played gt5 online and so I'm stuck with cars that can't compete in certain events. I don't think I'll ever be able to finish it now.

Latest Posts

Back