Tips on backing up and saving your game from catastrophe

Johnnypenso

Well known double poster
Premium
Canada
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Johnnypenso
I've already had one corrupt gamesave from GT6, but because I religiously back up and save my data it only cost me a few hours of progress with a tune. If you follow some of this advice below it might just save you from catastrophe:scared:

1. Buy yourself a USB memory stick. Any size will do as GT gamesaves are really small but of course you can use it for other things if need be.

2. From the PS3 XMB menu "Save Game Utility" scroll down until you see the GT6 logo, hit triangle, then copy, then select the USB stick, and overwrite the current save when prompted. Copy your current game save to the USB stick as a minimum at each of these times. We're talking seconds of work here:

1. At the end of every playing session.
2. Before any major updates
3. Before utilizing any kind of glitch where you are deleting and reloading data as in the current VGT >>> v1.00 credit glitch.
4. Any other time you want to or feel the need..can't have too many.

3. Copy and paste all your saves to another device like a laptop or PC as a second backup. Again we're talking seconds here but it opens up another opportunity.

4. When you copy to PC, rename the save on the USB stick before copying. Important: Only rename the PS3 Folder, not the actual save itself contained in the folder. By renaming it, when you go to use the stick again, PS3 won't recognize the name as a gamesave and won't prompt you to overwrite, allowing you to keep multiple game saves on a single USB stick. If you don't do this, your current save is overwritten. Keep in mind, if you want to use the game save again to copy back to the PS3, you need to rename it back to simply "PS3" so the PS3 recognizes it for what it is.

If you adhere to that protocol, you'll likely never lose more than a days worth of data. Even if the HD crashes you should be able to reload the game onto another PS3 and copy the save and be right back where you started. Steps 3 and 4 might sound like overkill but they have saved me a couple of times so far. If all you do is 1 and 2 and one of your gamesaves ends up being corrupt you have no backup whatsover because each time you save to the USB you are overwriting your previous good save. You need to either change the name to get multiple saves on one stick and/or copy and paste those saves somewhere safe.

Another alternative is Online Storage but for me this is a backup to my backup, a kind of a last resort: http://uk.playstation.com/psn/suppo...52018/Using-Online-Storage-for-PS3-game-data/

If you have another protocol or some other way of saving that works for you feel free to share. Anyone that doesn't do this, especially with a brand new game we already know is buggy and acting funny, is flirting with virtual disaster:lol:

Last edited:
Good write up, this should be a sticky!

Too many people don't/forget to back up their files and complain later.

Obvious advice isn't always so obvious, as it would appear.

Nice write up Johnny, now only if we could get PD/Sony to include this on the back of the game packaging, then maybe we wouldn't have so many threads of people crying because they lost their game save, like in GT5. Also, I agree, this should be a sticky so it doesn't get lost in the mass of pages. I'll contact Famine and see what he says.

Last edited:
Good advice. I've been backing my saves up, second nature as I've always done it with PC game saves that I want, usually put them in Dropbox or Google Drive just so I've got them in a few places.

Yes this is very good advice for those who are not IT savvy, should be stickied.

Personally, I always make 2 backups to 2 different external storage media.

This kind of thing really contributes to GTP.

Will save potential grief for sure. 👍 👍

I would also recommend formating the USB stick to the same file system as the PS3, had some weird incidents where the data and sometimes even the entire stick would not be recognized.

As far as I'm aware PS3 uses FAT32.

Great tips, @Johnnypenso. For quite a while now, I've been backing up my game save files for all of my games. I'd add that if you're a PlayStation Plus member, your save files are automatically backed up to the cloud each day. Still, particularly for GT, I frequently make my own backups and then make backups of the backups. Once bitten, twice shy.

The (slightly) sad part is that not everyone does this. It's very easy like @Johnnypenso said, just takes a few seconds. They should add a disclaimer or something every time you start the game: BACK-UP YOUR DATA! :lol:

I back up to 2 USB sticks, I alternate between them so I know that if the data on one gets corrupted, the other one will be fine. I also hid a third back up by changing the name of the PS3 folder like you suggested, thanks for the tip.

Yeah I started to do that since the beginning, and I'm keeping my saves on my pc, where I have 1 folder per day. Seems a little maniacal, but this way I have plenty of save games to choose if my saves ever get corrupted.

Great write up and what a kind advice! 👍
What I usually do with my game saves is just copying to USB flash drive and then copy to my laptop for further back up.
Didn't think of renaming the PS3 folder on the flash drive though. That's really a brilliant idea that allows to save multiple backup saves onto the same flash drive. :D
I'll definitely try this out from now on! :cheers:

But it's kind of annoying if the game save would become corrupted every now and then because of the updates... which doesn't sound good at all. :ouch:

Sounds good. What i tend to do is just create another user account on the ps3, then you can copy your gamesave from your main account to the second (or third or fourth) user account for infinite backups without the need of an external drive. Or just backup to the cloud via psplus

I use 2 flash drives and alternate between the two usually, and occasionally copy to PC. In GT5 once I managed to get all the cars I made a full HD backup unto an external drive just in case.

Always good to have more than one backup

I just turn on automatic upload it to my PSN+ cloud and call it a day :P
The problem with having only one backup is if that backup is a backup of a corrupted save then all is lost and that can happen. Always good to have at least 2 stored on different devices and alternate between them so that at worst you only lose the most recent

The problem with having only one backup is if that backup is a backup of a corrupted save then all is lost and that can happen. Always good to have at least 2 stored on different devices and alternate between them so that at worst you only lose the most recent
yeah I understand. but I've never had a save file go corrupt on me just spontaneously so I guess I haven't learned the hard way and I don't really need to become paranoid just yet :P

yeah I understand. but I've never had a save file go corrupt on me just spontaneously so I guess I haven't learned the hard way and I don't really need to become paranoid just yet :P

In GT5, I had mostly golds and owned all but two or three of all the cars when my save decided to become corrupt. I had a backup, but it was not much older and was also corrupt. I don't want to have it happen again.

I've never had a save file go corrupt on me just spontaneously so I guess I haven't learned the hard way
Happened just t'other day, think the cause was using turn off system function from cross menu whilst still ingame ... now use quit game first.

In GT5, I had mostly golds and owned all but two or three of all the cars when my save decided to become corrupt. I had a backup, but it was not much older and was also corrupt. I don't want to have it happen again.

do you know how you might have gotten the corrupt save? maybe bad luck or what?

when last of us came out people kept complaining that they kept getting corrupt save files, but never happened to me. Same with other games like Battlefield 4 that were known to corrupt save files.
I guess I've just been getting super lucky hahaha

I've only had my save corrupted once and fortunately the backup save was fresh and worked so I lost nothing in the process but being a developer and having saw first hand the kind of things that can happen with HDs and data files I always tend to have more than one option to recover from such things.

I had a customer a few years back who despite my warnings did not want to invest in a second backup media for his computer system. His process was to make a backup once per week and each time he was overwriting the previous backup. My advice was to use at least 2 backup medias, do them every day and alternate between the 2 so worst case you loose 1 day of data. One day he came in and found his data base corrupted and loaded the backup which was made the night before but after the database had been corrupted. He lost 6 months worth of data which was a huge problem but would not have happened if he would have spent the $20 on the second media and alternated like I had been telling him.

btw the reason he only lost 6 months worth of data is because I had made a backup of his data the last time I was on site and brought it home with me, else it would have been a total loss of data.

do you know how you might have gotten the corrupt save? maybe bad luck or what?

when last of us came out people kept complaining that they kept getting corrupt save files, but never happened to me. Same with other games like Battlefield 4 that were known to corrupt save files.
I guess I've just been getting super lucky hahaha

If I remember correctly, it happened when loading the game for the first time after installing a certain game update. I can't remember which update or when exactly it happened, but it was in the first few months after GT5's release, well before Spec 2.0.

P.S. I was also afflicted with BF4's single player save glitch on PS4, as is my cousin on PS3. Unfortunately, backups don't help in that case.

If I remember correctly, it happened when loading the game for the first time after installing a certain game update. I can't remember which update or when exactly it happened, but it was in the first few months after GT5's release, well before Spec 2.0.

P.S. I was also afflicted with BF4's single player save glitch on PS4, as is my cousin on PS3. Unfortunately, backups don't help in that case.
wow man sorry to hear. I think I should start backing it up though because everytime (maybe not everytime, but more like 3/4th of the time) I hold the PS button to turn off the PS3 from GT6 main menu, it double beeps and then turns off. then when I turn it back on it says PS3 system did not shut down correctly and bla bla. but I always make sure the Saving symbol is off the screen before I turn it off.
not sure if this is what happens with everyone or if my PS3 is just dirty inside. I might open it up tonight and clean it up, I bought the Slim 120gig in 2009 and never cleaned it since :embarrassed:

wow man sorry to hear. I think I should start backing it up though because everytime (maybe not everytime, but more like 3/4th of the time) I hold the PS button to turn off the PS3 from GT6 main menu, it double beeps and then turns off. then when I turn it back on it says PS3 system did not shut down correctly and bla bla. but I always make sure the Saving symbol is off the screen before I turn it off.
not sure if this is what happens with everyone or if my PS3 is just dirty inside. I might open it up tonight and clean it up, I bought the Slim 120gig in 2009 and never cleaned it since :embarrassed:
Thanks for the informative comments. Better late than never.

Back