Tips on how to create a specific type of track.

• Thread starter Denilson
  • 4 comments

Denilson

::::: PURE :::::
Premium
Sweden
Stockholm
chorda / GTP_chorda
Hi.

I've never been in to creating tracks in GT5 up until now.

I went in to the course maker manu earlier today and tryed to create a track that "flows" if that makes sense.

Basically, what I want is a track that's similar to a country road. No sharp turns, not too much elevation.
I also want to see the road streaching out far in the distance ahead of me. You know, when you can see the road ahead of you twists in to the landcape type of track.

I soon realized that Mt Aso or Toscana was the 2 best options.
The Eiffel one is flater, bit it's more of a track with curbs and such. Don't want that.

But no matter how hard I try, I just can't get it right.

I set the parameters to:
Track width: 0 (Toscana) and 10 for Mt Aso.
Section complexity: 0
Sharpness of corners: 0-2
Corner Camber: 1-2

In most cases these settings give me a track that flows pretty nice, but I can't get rid of the blind corners (Hate them for the purpose I have)...
I just want it to flow if you get me.
I also can't seem to get a longer track than 4km (2,6 miles).. I'd love if I could at least double the leanght.

So any ideas, suggestions or tips?
I'd appritiate it. 👍

I have been making several customs track, to get longer distance, simply add sections, 7 sections should be enough for 3 km on MT Aso. The trick I use is to adjust section complexity in every sections independently after you find a good layout using the new course button ( randomize ). Changing complexity in one section could change the course layout drastically, keep playing with the numbers to further randomize the track. Every sections's complexity setting could change the whole track, so for every new course given, there are more than 7 possible instances of layout. This will give you more freedom to find a the best flowing layout. Increase or decrease complexity one by one, do this one every sections, until the layout gets more complex but could still give some flow. I could make a touge layout this way, with so many sharp corners on Toscana, one of them has 76 turns, 8.943 km, 1km straight, 42 m elevation change with only 4 sections.

I would suggest to use -5 sharpness of turns for all sections, max road width, click new course until you find one with very low elevation change, fiddle with the complexity until you find an interesting shape. Test the track, if it flows and no blind corners, start to increase the sharpness then tune the width.

Edit : Try to have a course where each sections are quite long, any sections that is too short would only ruin the flow of the track.

Last edited:
Denilson,

I got a couple country road type tracks from guys here in the Course Maker thread. Reaper Circuit from gamerdog and Route Des Champs Ouverts from Annihilator. Both Toscano. I'm not patient enough to make my own yet, lol. Been running both just to relax and drive-watch the sunset, kick back, test drive some cars I rarely use. But both are real fun for hot laps. Long sweeping sections but with some twisty parts.

It really seems to be a combination of trial & error, luck, and being willing to tinker with the settings & just keep testing until it comes out right.
I have a few pals who have made EXCELLENT winding flowing tracks... and I believe they made them for particular types of cars.
And that seems to be an issue. You should have the cars you'd like to make the track for all ready turned onto Favourites before going into Course Maker, so you can test the track with the cars you have in mind, while you're tinkering.

Toscana Tarmac is definitely best for your purposes, as Mt Aso tracks are never long enough to have road stretching out way ahead...

But blind corners are just likely to turn up here & there.
The only advice on how to discourage blind turns in the track is to not go to extremes (either way) for banking or turn sharpness.
Don't make the banking completely flat, and don't make it high. Keep the banking somewhere between 3-6.
Turn sharpness, keep it somewhere just above or just below the middle.
Flat banking encourages hinky off camber turns. I got that advice here last year, and after trying that, I've found it to be true.
And if you encourage hinky off camber turns... then you will encourage blind turns.
Sharp turns also may tend to be blind in certain parts of the track.

But again, it's luck... sometimes has to do with where the track turns in the terrain. So you have to just tinker.

I find that the its not the complexity or corner bank that change elevation that much, I see it more as the landscape. Toscana isn't bad but again, the course creator is complete trial and error, no matter what I try, I never get the track I want, and for me it's too time consuming and complicated. I find it easier to use a friend's track.
I hope this helped.

Back