Tips on reducing tyre wear

Messages
11
I am looking for any ideas on how to reduce tyre wear. ATM I am trying to run the Grand Valley 300km with my Merc CLK Touring Car. The problem is that my tyres keep wearing out too quickly and I am forced to pit too often to be able to keep in front.
 
Welcome to GTP!

The best tip I can offer will (fortunately) make you faster - drive a smoothly as possible. Don't brake at full push all the time, and brake earlier. Ease the throttle on and don't slam the steering inputs. I used to have a real problem overdriving the car that way, and once I learned to really modulate my control inputs, I found myself going faster and going longer on a set of tires.

You can also switch down to a slightly harder compound, which will help your tire life.

Lastly, if you're wearing out the fronts, add some camber to help the front grip a little more and it will help with wear. Excessive toe settings also hurt tire life.

Good luck.
 
Another good tip for reducing tire wear is to avoid extreme settings (and default settings at times).

For example, try not to add or reduce the "Toe" setting.
Also, try lower "Camber" levels since higher camber can increase tire wear.

Changing those settings is possible in the settings menu under suspension. 👍

Good luck with the racing. :D
 
Smooth driving will also have the added benefit of letting you drive the tires further into the red, past the point where the car becomes difficult to control if you're "leaning" on it too much. With a smooth driving style, you're not adjusting your driving to the tires, merely moving your braking points further back and reducing your conrnering speeds little by little as the laps go by.

I usually "lean" on my tires for the first half lap or so to get the rear tires (on an FF or AWD) or front tires (on a light RWD) to warm up a bit, then I ease off.
 
Switch to the Driving Force Pro wheel. That'll help you with tyre wear beyond description.
 
drive without driving-aids and without differential (or, rather choosing the smallest amount possible, should be "5" for most/all cars).
Since you have to accelerate with way more care, you won't put as much stress on the tires as the driving aids would do - and then you can go 1-2 laps more than you could with driving-aids.
 
Well thanks for the tips. I won that race by a nice 1.21.234 :) And to the person who said ditch driving aids, I always have.
 
try not to understeer or oversteer the car
 
also try putting some weight on the front/back of the car, depending on which end is bothering you

its worked for me:indiff:
 
another thing you can try is to experiment with using different types of tires in the front and back...harder tires last longer however softer tires gives you superior grip...just experiment with the different types of tires and see which ones work best with which car :)
 
Here's my tip.

NO DRIFTING!!!!!! LMAO ROTFL :lol:

Seriously though, any time you are squealing a tire it is at max tire wear rate at that moment. Just drive slower through the turns and use the slow in, fast out technique to your advantage.
 
Back