Tire Conservation on Nurb 4 hour Endurance

  • Thread starter Thread starter gooner190
  • 20 comments
  • 3,646 views
Messages
53
Messages
gooner190
Has anyone else had problems with this? I've tried this race with both the Stealth SLS AMG on Racing Hards and the 458 on Racing Mediums. In both cases, I'll build a good lead (about 30 seconds) by the end of the 3rd lap, then on then 4th my tires quit on me and I'm lucky to finish the lap under 11 or 12 minutes.

Now, I know the easy solution here is to simply pit after the 3rd lap, which I'll probably do next time I'm willing to do this race. But that seems odd, given the AI is able to pump out 5 laps before pitting. Are there any reasons why I'm burning rubber at such a higher rate than the AI? All I can think of it sliding too much while driving, but on my first 3 laps I keep it pretty clean.
 
You aren't the only one. My tyres NEVER last as long as the AIs so I just drive faster and pit more often.
 
I've found the AI is pretty cheap on enduros...

Also: I noticed at the indy race that not only was I faster on supersofts (as compared to racing hard) they actually lasted longer When I say longer, I mean ten laps longer There are some serious, serious gameplay problems with GT5.
 
A couple of things...

Due to a major glitch, according to all the endurance driving I have done, Soft tires last just as long as Mediums or Hards...if not longer.

Also, the weight of the car seems to play the largest role in whether or not tires give out quickly or not.
For this race I have used the Mercedes 190 E Touring Car...it weighs 980kg. It can go 6 laps of moderate driving before pitting for tires. I usually pit at 5 so I can really push it.

If the one of the AI cars is the Audi R8 Touring Car, it will pit every 4 laps.
 
Didn't have this problem, maybe you're sliding too much. I did this race in the TVR Tuscan RM and could easily do 4 laps on the tires or 5. The AI in the Amuse S2000 had problems though, he started doing 4 lap stints then he tried doing 5 and lost over a minute each time, making the race easy.

As for tyres they all seem to have the exact same endurance in the same group. I've done a couple of endruance races switching between Racing Hard, Medium and Soft. All three lasted the same ammount of laps.

I don't remember GT2 having this problem, I remember having to decide between soft and fast with more stops or hard and slower with less stops. In GT5 you might as well just use soft, it makes no difference to tyre wear. :(
 
The first time I've done it with the Raybrig NSX for a sure win, and I was able to do 6 laps with quite consistent times. I noticed that the main cause of t ire wear was my driving style : if you care to not skid at all the tires, they last a lot longer. My suggestion is to not push the car to the limits all the time, but be' consistent and carefully with the tires 👍
 
I noticed that the main cause of tire wear was my driving style : if you care to not skid at all the tires, they last a lot longer.

I second this. For the Nürburgring 4H enduro, I always have more tire wear on my first stint because of agressive driving at the beginning of the race.

With the same car it is possible to shot racing hards in less than 3 laps if you push too hard, but also to last 5 laps on softs if you're driving smooth.
 
Hmm. Interesting, I'm just about to sit down and do this one. Will let you know how my tyres stand up. Planning on going with medium racing. Gonna use my stealth 787b. Why? Because i am not interested in anything else in this game than the 24 hour le man and the 24 hour nurburg. As soon as I do those races, GT5 will be put away and I will return to GT4 and probably never get 5 out again.
 
I did it with Premium AsparaDrink RX-7. No problems, it can run 6 laps, but I pitted each 5. ;)
 
Haha, My Raybrig didn't last 3 laps on hards, but then again I did push very hard. I think I'll take my SC430 Petronas (since it's more manageable, but slower than the NSX) next time and try to be very smooth.
 
Honestly i have found that racing softs last longer than racing hards. I'm pretty sure that they actually just last the same amount of time (MAJOR ERROR IN PROGRAMMING), but the hard tyres have less grip(obviously) and so I slide/skid/drift more with them on.

If you have a problem making tryes last then turn TC up to help you (inless your too proud to)

As for the major glitch in tyre wear i cant see why it is a problem to fix. Surely the wear rate can be changed for each type of tyre by putting in a simple multiplier into the calculations somewhere. Instead of this simple fix to a game ruining problem in an update PD give B-spec anywhere. Thanks a ***king bunch!!!!!
 
I was in this race with a 458 Italia on medium tires and i went into the pit every 3 laps. I could have done one or two more laps, but the risk of spinning out wasn't worth it. There's usually only one car that goes semi-fast anyways, and they pit every 5 or so laps, but they don't pit until the tires are ripped to shreds, so the last lap they run is so slow that they loose like 30-40 seconds compared to their normal laps.

I was like 4 minutes ahead after 12 laps, and then the power went off for the entire neighborhood.... That sucks! :)
 
The AI doesn't drive fast enough to wear out their tyres. I mean they dont exactly drive on the limit do they.
 
The AI doesn't drive fast enough to wear out their tyres. I mean they dont exactly drive on the limit do they.

No but what they do do is slide unnecessarily in and out of corners. Just watch your Bob for a perfect example, they plant their foot on the throttle mid corner.
 
The CLK touring car (stock with soft tyres) does 7 laps easy maybe even 8 but I didnt try it because the think that makes you loose most of the time in the pits is fueling
I know that on my 3rd 4 hour race there (my first with the CLK) I only pitted 4 times
And I lapped everybody (with the R8 on the track)
 
No but what they do do is slide unnecessarily in and out of corners. Just watch your Bob for a perfect example, they plant their foot on the throttle mid corner.

I've only seen this behaviour in B-Spec. The AI drive like they have super-aids (the good kind) in A-Spec so their tyres rarely break traction at all. I noticed online that by not using aids, my tyres didn't last as long as others who were using aids. TCS, in particular, can be a massive help for tyre wear.

I remember in GT2 (the last time I actually took pride in the endurance races) I was practising for a race on Laguna Seca in, I think, a Nissan R390. With a particular hard grade of tyres, I was pushing to make a certain average lap time and work out the average length of a stint. By fitting slightly softer tyres, I was able to lap at my target time (inferred from opponents) and make the same number of laps per stint as them; I couldn't last the full complement of laps on the harder tyres, because I was pushing too hard to make up the lap time, and driving to the tyres' limit was too slow overall. This varies from track to track, though - I had no such problems in the Castrol Supra on Grand Valley, for instance.

Basically, Endurance racing is about conservation. Drive conservatively and the tyres will last longer. Being extra careful once they start losing grip helps keep them working longer in their "twilight" phase, too. Managing the wear is much easier with a wheel and pedals than with the pad, in my experience.
Another thing to think about is your setup. Make the car as mechanically neutral as possible for general stability (no understeer or oversteer, which over-stress the tyres unnecessarily) in the slow corners, whilst making it understeer slightly at high speed via the aero for driveability. The higher the downforce, the lower the wear rate for a given driving style. Additionally, high downforce favours the softer tyres anyway.
 
I've only seen this behaviour in B-Spec. The AI drive like they have super-aids (the good kind) in A-Spec so their tyres rarely break traction at all. I noticed online that by not using aids, my tyres didn't last as long as others who were using aids. TCS, in particular, can be a massive help for tyre wear.

Whilst doing this race in particular I was racing pretty hard with the Amuse S2000. I pitted at the end of lap four, he didn't and so I was about 45 seconds behind. I quickly gained this all back in the fifth lap and when I caught the S2000 it was sliding all over the shop. I passed it easily and by the end of the 5th lap he had lost nearly 2 minutes sliding all over the shop.
 
Whilst doing this race in particular I was racing pretty hard with the Amuse S2000. I pitted at the end of lap four, he didn't and so I was about 45 seconds behind. I quickly gained this all back in the fifth lap and when I caught the S2000 it was sliding all over the shop. I passed it easily and by the end of the 5th lap he had lost nearly 2 minutes sliding all over the shop.

Oh, yeah, if they judge their pit window wrongly, and their tyres cook, they do have problems. It's funny to see it actually, but disappointing when it ruins an otherwise close race ;)

But when their tyres are fine, they rarely put a foot wrong - at least as long as they're in clear air and away from other cars.
 
Well with the 787b the tyres went 4 laps. It could do 5 but not nicely, and the phone rang, I forgot to pit, and on the 6th lap, hell it was murder trying to keep it on the track.
Gonna have to do it again, so I will use the 908. See what that is like.
 
The CLK touring car (stock with soft tyres) does 7 laps easy maybe even 8 but I didnt try it because the think that makes you loose most of the time in the pits is fueling
I know that on my 3rd 4 hour race there (my first with the CLK) I only pitted 4 times
And I lapped everybody (with the R8 on the track)

Forgot to add

-No TCS (just my right foot)
-No ABS (just my left foot)
-In fact all aids are always off

That does not mean I am very good with the game - just the oposite Im a average player (but I still beat the crack out of the AI with them driving faster cars) I just have more fun with all aids off thats all.

The point is that every one is complaining about tyre wear on that race (and the 4 times I run it I had to pit each 4-5 laps) but the CLK touring is amazing when it comes to saving tyres
 
The point is that every one is complaining about tyre wear on that race

The issue between hard and soft tires wear isn't specific to the Nürburgring.

On the Le Mans track, with the same car and conservative driving I can easily do 8 laps on softs, but I'm struggling for 10 on hards. Needless to say, the difference is too small to offset the lack of grip.

Whether soft tires lasts too long or hard tires wears too fast, making therefore racing hard tires pointless for the endurance races.
 
Back