Tire/dirt smoke effects

For a game that can graphically look quite pleasing at times, the tire/dust smoke effects sure look inadequate.

In the CGI intro movie, you see the cars kicking off dust/smoke that would be considered sufficient I suppose. But in-game it's practically non-existent.

What gives? Thoughts anyone? Again had to do more with the frame rate than anything else.

I also noticed on some windows of buildings, the reflections look blocky and flat, not reflecting the actual scenery, but just the overall look of the game; brown and yellow blocks. Not every building, but quite a few. Happens only during daytime/afternoon.

I've always said that Turn 10 can't seem to get the tire smoke right. In Forza Horizon it seems to be even worse. When it comes to off roading in Horizon you should be able to see gravel and dust kicking right up in the air but you don't which takes away from the off road experience.

Loads better in FM4 though. I guess the devs were trying to milk out so much processing power out of the hardware, they didn't have enough horsepower at their disposal to simulate realistic smoke/dirt effects.

Shift's and GRID's smoke effects can be pretty eye catching.. no slow downs!

Lol I like how it rolls off the tires when drifting. I'm not a big fan of smoke I'm more function over form. GT smoke was extremely annoying when drifting. Barely start to spin the wheels and it looks like there was a smoke grenade thrown.

Off-road is a little disappointing yes especially after playing the original DiRT. I loved that game and it's too bad 2&3 went to 🤬 and became arcade games.

I dunno I would like to see what they could have done with 2 discs. That being said I don't think it looks corny by any stretch, just very minimalistic.

Yeah, good effect the way it rolls off the tires, but it is quite inconsistent. A game that can look quite good at times ought to have believable smoke effects. You don't even get to see it in rear/side view mirrors. Ahh.. the economics of hardware limitations!

Come to think of it, in the trailers and CGI movies, it looked pretty decent. And then they break it to you gently.. you actually play the game.. and big WTF in your face!#$
Would have been rather interesting to see what they could have done with 2 DVDs.

Yeah, GTs smoke is overdone.. as if all the cars have blown rear engines!

The Colin Mcrae and original Dirt were fantastic games. They usually are, until they sell out to the arcade-lovin' dudebro lot!

Meh, FH could definitely put up some mroe smoke/dust, that's for sure. It's better than FM4's little puffs of smoke that you had to line up to get a picture that resembled actual smoke, though.

Yeah I agree with the lining up part so it looks like actual smoke.. otherwise they look like little cotton balls or puffs of smoke popping up from the track!

I still prefer FM4's smoke though. Horizon's is practically non-existent. Especially dirt.

Yeah I agree with the lining up part so it looks like actual smoke.. otherwise they look like little cotton balls or puffs of smoke popping up from the track!

I still prefer FM4's smoke though. Horizon's is practically non-existent. Especially dirt.

Non existent smoke?! More than FM4 when drifting at least and doing a standing burn out. One thing I wish they added is the explosion of tire smoke when you lock up your tires while braking. Happens in real life if you watch GT racing. I think it'd be cool.

What?!! :confused:

More smoke than FM4 while drifting??

Nahh, I don't think you and I are playing the same game bro!

The smoke in Horizon just disappears in less than a sec and it's not even dense.

FM4 has somewhat denser smoke that lingers around for a while.

What?!! :confused:

More smoke than FM4 while drifting??

Nahh, I don't think you and I are playing the same game bro!

The smoke in Horizon just disappears in less than a sec and it's not even dense.

FM4 has somewhat denser smoke that lingers around for a while.

And I don't know what game you're playing lol I love how the smoke rolls off the tires when drifting in Horizon. FM4 Dirifting just farts little puffs of smoke.

OK, I don't disagree with farting with the little puffs bit! But while Horizon's smoke does look good rolling off the tires, it is just too inconsistent and scarce. Surely, they could have optimized the engine and squeeze more effects out of it. Dirt isn't very pleasing to look at either.

Farting puffs or not, the smoke/dirt is generally denser in FM4 (and lingers around). And I rather enjoy it over Horizon's tiny 'steam engine' effects!

Yeah I mean it tends to be the same drifting or doing a burnout. I dunno not a critical part of a racing game IMO. One of the first things I wouldn't mind sacrificing to improve something else.

Really? Don't you feel the smoke/dirt effects should have been a liiiiiiiitle more convincing? i could swear some PS2/Xbox games had better smoke effects!

The real downer here is, in the intro video as you see the Viper doing a 180 spin before heading off to the road, and the Evo drifting, jumping/landing in the dirt, the smoke and dirt effects do look nice. And then you get to the game and see it, and you're like: ohh maannn...not this!

Anyhoooo, I don't play the game anymore, doesn't bother me one bit. Enjoy it while you can!

You don't have to add "while you can" every time you tell someone to enjoy the game, as if they're soon to give up on it.

Err...sorry...I was just having meself some fun Chuck!!

I know.. I know.. I apologize if it left a sour taste in anybody's mouth.

So...enjoy it. Just.... enjoy it!

Err...sorry...I was just having meself some fun Chuck!!

I know.. I know.. I apologize if it left a sour taste in anybody's mouth.

So...enjoy it. Just.... enjoy it!

Like I said my last gripe will be about smoke effects, cool, but not critical to sim racing when it comes to controls or essentially any other feature. I haven't been doing much drifting in Horizon so it's something that I see so little it doesn't bother me.

Back