Tire Regulations

UPSDeliveryBoy
Tires, tires, tires:

They are a big part of drifting right? They're a factor which determines a drifter style of driving. Whether it be comforts for aggressiveness, or maybe Sports so one can be a little more conservative. Another aspect with tire choice is the fact that if a person with 500+ hp drift monster, need at least sport mediums, while a modest drifter with 250 hp may need comfort hards.

But why is it when I go to do the drift trial I have to use Comfort tires, when I just got decent with Sports :grumpy:

Then when I try to get some online sliding, host limits to comfort 👎

I'm just saying that tire choice is critical, in find the right niche for a drifter starting out. So why limit us?

Not talking to anyone in particular.

/Rant

I think the only tires that should be "outlawed" in certain situations are the racing slicks. IIRC they are banned from many real drift competitions, which I suppose is reason enough to not allow them in some lobbies/competitions in GT5. Slicks are overkill in my opinion, but sports or semi-slicks should be allowed. But hey, its the host's lobby so you have to go by their rules. If it was my lobby it would be set to no race tires, but Im unorthodox in a lot of ways.

I think the only tires that should be "outlawed" in certain situations are the racing slicks. IIRC they are banned from many real drift competitions, which I suppose is reason enough to not allow them in some lobbies/competitions in GT5. Slicks are overkill in my opinion, but sports or semi-slicks should be allowed. But hey, its the host's lobby so you have to go by their rules. If it was my lobby it would be set to no race tires, but Im unorthodox in a lot of ways.

Your right about the racing slicks, but in real drift competition they use mostly upgrade to sport grade tires, but come on comforts? Thats like drifting with stock tires, and I doubt any real drifter would use factory tires.

Your right about the racing slicks, but in real drift competition they use mostly upgrade to sport grade tires, but come on comforts? Thats like drifting with stock tires, and I doubt any real drifter would use factory tires.

I would have to agree. You never see a D1GP driver on stock tires. Me personally I go for realism. The more realistic the better.

I see myself using comforts on my lower-powered "street" drifters but definitely will be using sport compound on my cars with more power.

With online lobbies people restrict tires to closer match speeds between cars, mostly for tandem. I like using comfort softs on my 458hp Silvia, but if I enter a room where everyone is using hards then my entry speeds are usually at least 15-20mph faster. It's hard to get noobs to drift a clean tandem run when everybody is using different tires and going different speeds.

The way I see it... Comfort softs would be like Toyo T1-rs etc, comfort hards something like Nankang NS-2s

Sports tyres then would be something like R888s etc in various compounds.

And racing tyres are pretty obvious what they would compare to :)

So in that respect, it's fairly realistic to what you can drift with in the game, most cars under 150-300bhp work best on the comfort hards on the back with maybe comfort softs on front in some cases which is about right as most in that power range in real life would be perfect with T1rs on the front and cheap **** on the back. this is what I have on my roadcar and it's perfect.

As you go from 3-500, you really need proper track tyres on the front for more speed and big entries as well as more grip on the back such as R888s on the front and approaching T1-rs or other tyres with a threadware of around 200 on the back such as the setup I would be using on my own drift car with about 360-400bhp and R888s on the front and NS-2s, RSrs or T1-rs for the rear although there is going to be tyre restrictions for next year I think so who knows what I'll be using.

Which in the game corresponds to Sports and at least comfort softs.

So I think it's actualy fairly realistic in all by still think the tyre restrictions to comfort all round are stupid epescially for the faster tracks and long corners to be able to keep speed and angle or big entries without the front washing out.

I always use comfort hards as i've got a dfp so can be very precise, even on a 600 hp+ mustang, just need careful throttle control

I am not trying to start an arguement, but in most real world drift setting, a lot more advance driver would shoot for stickier tires than slickier tires. And almost always, they would have the same tires all around, not having stickier tires up front.

In GT5, I think sport tires would most resemble the "real life drift" for the driving experience, however, for the replay purpose, alot of people choose the comfort instead for more smoke and linking drifts.

Just my .02 :)

As has been said in another thread here, the points system for online and trial drifting is flawed, in that it gives you more points for sitting at 45 degrees on the racing line at 40mph smoking the tires at full throttle than it does if you do an 80mph backwards entry, which is madness. So having stickier tires in the points based drifting wouldn't help much. You only had to look at the tire selection in Prologue of the top 50 drifters and they were all N1/N1, with the occasional one pushing the boat out with N2/N1.

This is why I'll never use the points based system (other than once when I got the trophy and once to see what the crack was online), plus I'm not into competing all that much.

I am not trying to start an arguement, but in most real world drift setting, a lot more advance driver would shoot for stickier tires than slickier tires. And almost always, they would have the same tires all around, not having stickier tires up front.

In GT5, I think sport tires would most resemble the "real life drift" for the driving experience, however, for the replay purpose, alot of people choose the comfort instead for more smoke and linking drifts.

Just my .02 :)

Well yeah, I use Sport tires cause I want to be in control, and with comforts I feel that all I need to do is go full throttle and im sliding.

but on the other hand I believe in using tires that the driver prefers.

As has been said in another thread here, the points system for online and trial drifting is flawed, in that it gives you more points for sitting at 45 degrees on the racing line at 40mph smoking the tires at full throttle than it does if you do an 80mph backwards entry, which is madness.

I have so much respect for backwards entries, even though I can do it :/

and I hate to see high speed drifts going un rewarded because of this 45 degree/ driving line bull :grumpy:

My team have recently started limiting ourselves to comfort hards, it makes it a lot easier to tandem. Bearing in mind we have a 500Bhp ISF, 520Bhp 370Z and a 480Bhp RX8

Latest Posts

Back