Tire sizes

Tire sizes are a huge limitation in the game. We need to be able to change tire sizes. The stock sizes for a Supra Turbo, for example, is a 235/45-17 front and 255/40-17 rear, but no tuner keeps stock width tires for racing, show or otherwise. It's not unusual to see a 275mm or wider tire in the rear on those cars. This is valuable for tuning, as you need more tire to hold 700hp than the stock 300hp. Likewise, anyone who watches WRC knows that tarmac rally tires are significantly wider than dirt, and snow/ice tires are much narrower than dirt.

This could either be implemented as a general width change, or, in a more realistic sense, you could change the width only when you purchase tires. This would require a reduction in the prices of tires since people would likely need to buy multiple sets of tires in different sizes of the same compound, but it would enhance the realism for "The Real Driving Simulator".

One addition that could be a side benefit, are additional race restrictions. As in real life, there could be a restriction on tire width, along with the compound. This could change the strategy for choosing cars for races, or promote more competition online as all cars with a similar PP would also have almost identical levels of grip. It could either be implemented as a universal restriction (tires must be less than 245mm wide), or as an increase (no more than +10mm over stock).

Tire sizes are a huge limitation in the game. We need to be able to change tire sizes. The stock sizes for a Supra Turbo, for example, is a 235/45-17 front and 255/40-17 rear, but no tuner keeps stock width tires for racing, show or otherwise. It's not unusual to see a 275mm or wider tire in the rear on those cars. This is valuable for tuning, as you need more tire to hold 700hp than the stock 300hp. Likewise, anyone who watches WRC knows that tarmac rally tires are significantly wider than dirt, and snow/ice tires are much narrower than dirt.

This could either be implemented as a general width change, or, in a more realistic sense, you could change the width only when you purchase tires. This would require a reduction in the prices of tires since people would likely need to buy multiple sets of tires in different sizes of the same compound, but it would enhance the realism for "The Real Driving Simulator".

One addition that could be a side benefit, are additional race restrictions. As in real life, there could be a restriction on tire width, along with the compound. This could change the strategy for choosing cars for races, or promote more competition online as all cars with a similar PP would also have almost identical levels of grip. It could either be implemented as a universal restriction (tires must be less than 245mm wide), or as an increase (no more than +10mm over stock).
I'm not sure to like this or not.

Gameplay-wise, it's a very bad idea:
1# - Changing tire size change gearbox as implemented (max speed are higher with bigger tires), so if you change small tires for big tires, it should change gearbox autoset's "names" (3000kph, 310kph etc), but not settings.
2# - Effects on the suspension are big aswell -> susp changes -> effect on aero and lsd.
-> switching tires would not be as easy with this than with the actual colection of tires.

Performance and simulation-wise, it's a very good idea.

I don't know what to think about this.

As much as Gran Turismo is subtitled "The Real Driving Simulator", it is forced to balance itself between being an accurate, thorough simulation, and being a fun, accessible game.

I don't think tyre width options would make the game much more fun. It would just become another parameter you had to watch to make sure your car was elegible for an online or offline race. If you want more grip in GT, you get a softer tyre, or go up a tyre class from comfort to sports or racing. Those two options seem sufficient to me. O.o?

599331_663304140377544_1939130839_n.jpg

dac1068c11.jpg

vw-beetle-street-rod-001-1.jpg

Tyre width is a very important part of tuning, for instance, simply upping the tyre width on the rear of an AW11 MR2 entirely changes the way the car handles without so much as touching the suspension.

This is incredibly vital to the tuning aspect of Gran Turismo and it baffles me that we do not have this feature.

Wide tires also look good for showcars/stance/etc. I remember last time I wanted to stance an ISF to give it a flushed look, but it just looked weird because those stock tires were going inside the tire wells when cambered. Tire width, spacing, etc. would be amazing for tuning for track/show/you name it!

A thread title lacking in detail aside I'm surprised there aren't more likes here, so many cars are being crippled by running absolutely daft bicycle tyres when they can easily accommodate much wider. A lot of the classic muscle cars for instance could see massive gains from a very small and simple change.

A thread title lacking in detail aside I'm surprised there aren't more likes here, so many cars are being crippled by running absolutely daft bicycle tyres when they can easily accommodate much wider. A lot of the classic muscle cars for instance could see massive gains from a very small and simple change.

I gotta agree. This thread would get tons more upvotes if it were named a little differently.

It has always irritated me that I could not increase the tire width in any way on any car in GT. This NEEDS to be added in, and is quite honestly a very integral part of cars/motorsports.

Also, 👍 on the 240z reference above.

I have been thinking about this one for a while and when I found this I was happy. I hope that this gets added and It would be really cool and very helpful with tuning.:cheers:

Back