tire wear; hows it work in this game

• Thread starter Hybrid461
  • 21 comments
Canada
Ottawa
I ask this cause about halfway through my R1 races, i start to suck, get more oversteer and such. And i look at my damage UI, tires are blank. If i look at the temp gauges, tires are green. I figured they would go yellow or something like in GT4. So is my oversteer caused by tire wear in the late part of the race? And can i view the condition of the tires at all?

Press up or down on dpad. Cycle across to misscilanious, I think.

How many laps you running?

Oh and are you running with damage on?

I believe the tyres only change colour above 50%. Before that, the little damage meter says everything is a-okay, but you can feel the difference. This ususally happens during much longer races though, as it usually takes at least 10 laps for me to be affected by the tyres falling off.

Yeah its been happening on 10-12 lap races in the R1 season. driving the 908. It really sucks cause I was actually in first this race then dropped to 3rd, and luckily got second just before the end.

Playing on medium, with full damage. Only assist is TCS (turn it on for R2, R1). And the damn AI that was keeping up with me can still corner better.

They do change color at some point. But before that happens the only way to see your tire wear is going to be by pressing up or down to bring up the telemetry and moving to the Tires Misc screen. Bottom line of each tire is wear, I think. You might watch your tire temps mid-corner. I've noticed that race slicks (on anything) start overheating before any other tire.

It is a little different than GT4. In GT4 the green means optimal traction, then it goes yellow orange then red.

In Forza 3 you must watch your tire temperature. When your tires start getting very bright green in temperature, they are starting to wear out. You have to set it to tire temperature which I believe is clicking right twice on the D pad. The tire wear never really seems to ever show up correctly. So make sure you go off the tire temperature gauge. Very bright green is the sign they will start losing traction.

I did find it in telemetry thanks. But the damn telemtry screens love to crowd your view. its hard to drive with it up haha.

In terms of the tire wear should i just learn to take it easier overall, or just drive my heart out and when i lose grip be careful? Just overall suggestions to stay in first would be helpful.

Just do what I said and drive with the tire temperature image on that shows up in the lower right of the screen. No sense in taking up your entire screen with the telementry. Hit right twice on your D pad and it should pull up the temperature.
Learn to take it easier overall to save your tire wear. Turning brake sensitivity down will help too so you dont lock the tires up when you brake. The coolest part about Forza 3 tire wear is that it shows exactly where the tire is wearing out. If you have too much camber it will show up on the tire wear. Thats something GT4 or GT5 does not have.
forzavsgttirewear.jpg

Mainly judging by GT5p. I would love to see them address that tire wear issue in GT5 but I guess we will see. Up to GT4 (4 total games not including GT5p) there has been no way to tell exactly what is wearing on the tires if you adjust something the wrong way. Forza has had this tire wear gauge since Forza 1.

You're talking about two different things, CB. The telemetry screen shows wear (accurately). Pressing right on the D-pad once (damage display) shows tire wear once its hit a certain point where its more severe. Pressing right twice shows the tire temperature. That's not a way to judge tire wear at all. It really just gives you an idea that, relative to the actual amount of tire wear, you can expect x amount of traction. White = cold, light green = warming up, green = optimal traction, green-yellow = getting too warm, and as it goes through orange and red you'll be at the least amount of traction you can get for any given amount of tire wear.

I'm tempted to say your problem is tire heat, however, because slicks have a tendency to take on too much heat and they don't dissipate it as fast as the street tires do.

Thats exactly my point. No one wants to drive around in the telemetry screen in Forza 3. So you HAVE to watch the "tire temperature" which is right twice on the d pad. The tire temperature in Forza 3 is like using the tire wear in GT4. So once your tire temperature starts getting bright green in Forza 3, you are losing traction.

Last edited:
Well since none of the AI pit, that would probably be a bad idea for me to pit. So drive easier a bit or maybe change the tires? not sure i can change the tires.

Well since none of the AI pit, that would probably be a bad idea for me to pit.
Believe it or not, the AI does pit in Forza 3, but you don't get any notification when it happens.

Just do what I said and drive with the tire temperature image on that shows up in the lower right of the screen. No sense in taking up your entire screen with the telementry. Hit right twice on your D pad and it should pull up the temperature.
Learn to take it easier overall to save your tire wear. Turning brake sensitivity down will help too so you dont lock the tires up when you brake. The coolest part about Forza 3 tire wear is that it shows exactly where the tire is wearing out. If you have too much camber it will show up on the tire wear. Thats something GT4 or GT5 does not have.
forzavsgttirewear.jpg

Just to clarify.

Forza 3 does not get uneven tyre wear.

The screen you seem to be refering too is the tyre tempreture screen which does take into account 3 sectors of the tyre but the wear itself is not calculated like that.

Also, I would say (to the op) that you are just getting tired and making mistakes. Even doing 17 laps around La Sarthe in a modified DBR9 gets very little tyre wear. In fact, the only problem is fuel which runs out long before tyres start to go off.

I've noticed running many laps with race slicks will start to overheat them, at least on tighter tracks with lots of lefts or rights in a row. You'll see the outside tires getting yellow and staying there quite a lot.

Just if anyone missed something:

Forza displays two different tire info HUDs: Tire wear (w/damage) and Tire heat. (Green/Yellow/Red) Tire heat should remain green as long as possible, but tire wear will only be shown when you cycle through to the Damage display. (Also under telemetry, farthest tab to the right)

Back