Tire wear in Indy 500

  • Thread starter Thread starter h2g2guy
  • 12 comments
  • 2,033 views
Messages
103
Messages
h2g2guy
Hi, I'm lterally in the middle of the Indy 500 endurance race (no, literally, i'm writing this during straightaways) and I've noticed something very odd: No matter what tires I use in the Racing class, the right rear tire ALWAYS needs replacing after 30 laps!

Any idea why this might be? Does it have to do with the banking of the turns, perhaps? (Thinks back to F1 race in 2005...)

(117 laps in. Prompt responses appreciated :D)
 
Because you always turn left and the pressure is too much for the rear right tire
its normal and annoying
 
Toeing out the rears can only help so much, too much will only hurt more.

Only thing you can do is decrease your pace around the turns, or grit your teeth and drive on.
 
Thanks.

I understand why it's that tire, just wondering why it doesn't matter if it's a soft, medium, or hard.
 
Because there is a bug in the tire wear in GT5. Known issue. Softs don't wear any faster than hards.
 
Seriously?!

Is this new (like, due to a patch)? Because I do remember wear being a factor in an enduro I did a few months ago (or maybe it was just the placebo effect)...
 
There is no bug. All tire compounds within a class last the same amount of time. Has been so since game release.
 
^Which was a really odd thing for PD to do after four games.
 
I actually like it. The tire model was always kind of simple. If we were to go back to the old way, I think we need more compounds, and dynamic track conditions.

A huge part of tire selection is how hot the track surface is, and that is no where in GT5, so having different life spans for the compounds is kind of moot.

With tires as they are, you can vary performance within a class of tires (ex, LMP race on RH vs LMP race on RS are two different experiences) to create more variety.
 
^True.

I guess if you want competition then RHs are the way to go. Kind of leaves the middle child (RMs) with nothing much to do.
 
I've used the middles from time to time since I tend to avoid Softs. The biggest obstacle was that probably no one but me bought them, but that's no longer an excuse thanks to the update.
 
Did the update change anything with the tires?
 
Not that I know of.

But you can buy tires when in an online race. That's what I meant.
 
Back