Tire wear question....

• Thread starter jrbabbitt
  • 5 comments

jrbabbitt

Premium
United States
Charleston, SC
TCR_JimyBee
Ok I have not played GT5 nor GT6 so I am not knowing how tire wear indications improved over time. I remember color codes for tires in GT4 starting with blue going to bright red for being well worn. Now I want to know with this new system of tire wear indication, how much red it's too much red for tire reflectivity?
Another question is in the race info before starting it will state "tire wear 3X" or so, what is the standard rate to what they multiply to? In other words what is basic "tire wear 1X"?
Thank you in advance for all answers...

The tyre wear indicator isn't very good in GTS, the amount of red doesn't really show you how much life is left, because it's different for different compounds. Racing tyres for example - softs are good until 50% worn, meds 40% worn, hards even just 20% worn already feels bad. Generally, the laptime is a better indicator of tyre life. There is a ~1 second gap between compounds on an average track, so when your laptimes drop >1 second, it's time to pit.

Not sure what the second part of your question means. 1X is what PD decides to be the base tyre wear. Whether it's realistic or not, or what tyre it is based on in real life, no one knows because all tyres in GT games have always been generic PD compounds (and there is zero evidence that the Michelin partnership is anything but wishy washy advertising at this point). It's different from car to car as well, so the only way to really know is just test it yourself for the specific race you're preparing for.

Last edited:
1x is just whatever the base rate is, it's different per car, track, driving style, etc. how much wear you actually incur per lap. You and I can drive the same car on the same track for 5 laps and have very different tyre wear at the end.

The multipliers are just that, they multiply the base rate:

2x means each lap counts as 2 laps of tyre wear.

10x means each lap counts as 10 laps of tyre wear.

There is no definition of 1x means, except exactly that, the normal wear rate of the tyre model. It depends the car, the surface, the driving style, using ABS and TCS or not...

To be sure in Sport Mode, you should do a test race in custom race, in the same conditions (same laps, same fuel multiplier, same tyre wear multiplier...) to see how it goes. Even consider do it on 2 or 3 different car options to decide what handles better with tyre wear and how tire wear and fuel consumption cope, to decide the best pit stop strategy or even not doing any pit stop at all.

For example, last week race C, Monza 10 laps, fuel usage 2x, tyre wear 6x, there was no need to stop for fuel, but some cars required a pit stop (edit: for tires), and some others could do easily full race distance without stopping.

Last edited:
The multipliers are just that, they multiply the base rate:
2x means each lap counts as 2 laps of tyre wear.
10x means each lap counts as 10 laps of tyre wear.
Thank you, your answer about the multiplier send the most logical, will user this as a guide for my pit strategy

Last edited:
Back