Tires in GT6 Q.

• Thread starter BlueShift
  • 7 comments
France
Paris
BlueShift
A question, just to be sure...

In previous GT, there was only a color (temp/grip) and gauges (durability) for the tires, now we have:
- color
- number
- gauges

If I understand, now the colour mean the tire grip + spec, the number mean the tire use and the gauge.. What does means the gauge, temperature ?

In fact, I don't understand any of these. Can somebody clarify this ?
That changed too much from previous GT and I didn't found the explanation.

My understanding is that the numbers next to the tyres represent how much tyre life is left. I also believe that in GT5, and despite the better tyre physics, GT6 the amount of tyre life thats left is equal to the base grip thats available seperate from tyre temp.
So if the number next to a tyre reads 7, that means that you've used 2/10 of the tyre life and have 7/10 of the tyre grip still available.
The color of the tyre, its visual representation of the tyres heat, isn't calculated in the number.
If anyone knows different I'd love to hear it.

Hi Everyone,
As Ronald6 mentioned, the numbers are the tyre wear and available grip left with the tyre.

So if the number next to a tyre reads 7, that means that you've used 2/10 of the tyre life and have 7/10 of the tyre grip still available.

Although I have found that I haven't experienced much difference with the wear numbers too much, but I did find that at 10, the tyres slip slightly on acceleration and if you brake too hard. (Longitudinal G Forces)

- Between 9 and 6, the tyres are working at optimum performance

- Between 6 and 4, the tyres will slip ever so slightly in Lateral G Forces (Side to Side), but not feel any different in acceleration or braking.

- From 3 and below, Be extremely careful (Very Low Grip / Easy to Spin)

The Letters next to the tyres are the tyre type:
CH = Comfort Hard
CM = Comfort Medium
CS = Comfort Soft
SH = Sports Hard
SM = Sports Medium
SS = Sports Soft
RH = Racing Hard
RM = Racing Medium
RS = Racing Soft
IN = Intermediate (Medium Wet)
W = Wet Weather Tyres

Then there's Dirt and Snow of which I haven't really used / tested.

The Colour Change isn't as much to do with tyre temperature, it signifies tyre stress.
- Dark Blue = New Tyre (Cold Tyre) - No wear to indicate
- Blue / Light Blue = Little Wear / Optimum Tyre Grip (Warm Tyre)
- White / Orange = Grip degradation (Through turning, braking or acceleration) - This is when the tyre starts wearing and the Tread starts to degrade (e.g. The Number starts to drop)
- Red = No Grip / High Stress (Sliding / Wheel Spin) - Higher tyre wear, Very High Tread degradation (e.g. The Number Drops Faster)

Sorry if this was a long post, I hope this covered what you were after @BlueShift

EDIT: Changed the "Dark Blue" meaning to make it clearer.

EDIT2: As @Flaren89 mentioned below, the Gages represent the same as the number. The Lower they are, the worn the tyre, As per the Numbered Example Above. This is just a visual representation of the number as well as incorporating the tyre stress colouring.

Last edited:
The number has been added for a faster reading of the residue grip / wear of the tires, as the gauges itself wasn't so clear to see meanwhile driving. So gauges and number just says almost the same thing (both grip level and wear).

About the temperature, the colours works just like in GT5 but it's harder to see when the tires are cold (not too much difference from the beginning blue and the blue/white of the corrected heated tires). But with the new tyre model, the temperature changes has been changed (sorry for the word-play) from GT5 and more similar to IRL / PC sims, even if not 100% correct.

@AUAxton:I believe the color of the tyre has nothing to do with the wear. I've experienced cars that that will wear away their tread without ever changing color.I usually get the best grip with orange tyres, not white or blue.

If your tires are turning red or dark orange you will wear tires faster. This is easily noticed on the SLS GT3 or any heavy race car or a car with understeer. Tires turning a yellowish/orange is normal but different cars won't ever change to orange unless under heavy load such as a high speed sweeper. The GT500 cars are a good example of that once their tuned, they barely go yellow and have good tire wear where as the SLS goes dark orange and has terrible tire wear.

@AUAxton:I believe the color of the tyre has nothing to do with the wear. I've experienced cars that that will wear away their tread without ever changing color.I usually get the best grip with orange tyres, not white or blue.

Hi Ronald,

The colours are indicative (As ozwheels has mentioned) of Stress and effected "Rate" of Tyre Wear. The higher you are stressing the tyre, the faster it will wear / degrade.

I guess I wasn't too clear about the "Dark Blue" status of the tyre stating - No Wear.

It was probably better to state "New Tyre" as when it starts to warm / wear through the entry tread, it turns Light Blue.

I have edited my post to correct this. :cheers:

Last edited:
Back