Tires will decide championship

Mike Rotch

Aluminium Overcast
Staff Emeritus
Australia
Down under
I just wanna start out by saying this year has been great from the p.o.v. of tension and a real battle. How disappointing tho that it will be decided by tires. With the next races hungary (hot), monza (hot), indy (hot) and suzuka (hot), bridgestone really dont stand a chance, judging by yesterdays result. :(

Well, it's probably more the weather deciding it, eh Mike?

That said, tyres are critical in F1 - always have been. I'm inclined to think Ferrari's dominance has been assisted in no small part by Bridgestone - and now Michelin have an advantage.

On the plus side, if Michelin do have such an advantage, at least we'll have three drivers vying for the championship, not one!

The tyres are definitely having a major impact on things at the moment, but the fact is that of the Michelin teams, Williams are running their 2003 car, and it's blasting merrily through its development cycle. This is why the leading Michelin team is no longer McLaren.

Of the remaining races, I rather expect Hungary to favour Ferrari, as they've always done well there. Monza could go either Ferrari or Williams' way, but I expect Williams to win out. Indianapolis is likely to be a Williams milk run, and Suzuka probably favouring Michael personally, rather than a given team.

Things are looking tight for the championship, but with Montoya's win and Ralf's 10-place penalty for Hungary, it's a three-way now between JPM, MS and KR, with KR being somewhat sidelined by a lack of development.

Micheal said he isnt feeling too optimistic to win his 6th championship. And I never would have thought this at te beginning of the year.. but it seems JPM, you know, could actually win, you know, the championship, you know, this year, you know. :scared: Oh man, gonna have to listen to that guy say "you know" even more til the end of the season.

Originally posted by T13R
Micheal said he isnt feeling too optimistic to win his 6th championship. And I never would have thought this at te beginning of the year.. but it seems JPM, you know, could actually win, you know, the championship, you know, this year, you know. :scared: Oh man, gonna have to listen to that guy say "you know" even more til the end of the season.

Yeah, but the more Juan does well, the more you get to see Connie. :drool:

Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
I see you're thinking the exact same thing as me... :lol:

Know where we can find some nice pictures? :drool:

Originally posted by Mike Rotch
hey! what was wrong with Hakinnens wife :ill:

I never realised Erja was seven years older than Mika. The scandal!

Wait - how old is my other half again? Oh yeah - oops.

Originally posted by GilesGuthrie

Not a bad thing though ;)

Would be nice if there wasnt such a big influence (tyres and weather) for the title, just a straight fight would be great, but unfoutunately I dont think its gonna be the case

I think Juan Pablo would make a good winner of the championship. He is actually interesting.....unlike previous winners such as Mika Hakkinen or Nigel Mansell.

Originally posted by Nismo GT-R
I think Juan Pablo would make a good winner of the championship. He is actually interesting.....unlike previous winners such as Mika Hakkinen or Nigel Mansell.

Hakinnen epitomised what a champion should be - a gentleman. Nigel was british, so he is automatically a prat ;) ;)

If Juan wins, we'll never hear the, you know, end of it, you know, cos, you know, his head is, you know, already bigger then his wifes jubblies, so, you know, it would only get worse.

Maybe if he learns to speak properly, it would help too.

If Juan wins it, he'd be a certainty to leave Williams, in the proud tradition of Piquet, Mansell, Prost and Hill.

Heh.

Originally posted by Bollocks#999
Mika Hakkinen's sense of humour (so I've read) is quite good actually

This month's F1 Racing has a good interview with him - well worth a read, gives a good insight into the man and the circumstances around his last season.

Funny - I only ever buy that mag when I fly or go interstate.

Back