TL's Subarus

• Thread starter Turbo Lag
  • 14 comments

Turbo Lag

Premium
Australia
Melbourne
I think it's about time I make a thread here...

Ever since 2007 I wanted a Subaru Liberty as my first car, and after receiving a scholarship/entry to a school and saving plenty of money, we purchased an 08' Subaru Liberty 2.5i in Steel Silver, almost brand new from the dealer. It was a dealer used car and had about 11ks on the clock. Only problem is that it has the 4EAT which is the weak point of the car. Here are some photos back when it was delivered in 09'.

lWvJf.jpg

pgakw.jpg

After another 50k kms, it's been through a lot. Recently it was sandwiched from behind at about 50km/h so it currently sits under a cover, at least for another month until it can be repaired.

About 2 weeks ago I got my own car after finally getting my manual licence. After about 2 months of searching I finally came across a car that looked decent. I went ahead and purchased my proper first car: an 04' Subaru Liberty 2.5i Safety Pack (extra airbags + sunroof) in black, and most importantly, manual.

gQdTI.jpg

4I98y.jpg

djNak.jpg

The car has 153k kms, so it's got quite a fair bit of mileage on it, and along with that, comes a few problems. Most importantly, it has the dreaded dual-mass flywheel setup that squeaks at low speed and when the clutch is disengaged. However, the car drives absolutely fine otherwise, and is great fun to have a spirited drive in.

I now spend most of my days washing and cleaning the thing since its a pain to keep it tidy.

Most importantly, it has the dreaded dual-mass flywheel setup that squeaks at low speed and when the clutch is disengaged.

That is usually a sign to replace it, otherwise it will tear itself apart, and taking the gearbox with it.

That is usually a sign to replace it, otherwise it will tear itself apart, and taking the gearbox with it.

Yeah that's my current problem. Luckily the car doesn't get used all that much and will only realistically get around 5-6k kms on it each year, which still leaves me some time to get it done.

Yeah I'd get it fixed. Looks absolutely mint though mate good job.

Thanks! It does have a lot more problems though unfortunately, but most aren't mechanical and can be fixed.

Awesome car! I was pretty close to buying an 05' Legacy (what it's called out here in America) GT two years ago. Ended up getting an 05' WRX instead though. All in the family :).

Awesome car! I was pretty close to buying an 05' Legacy (what it's called out here in America) GT two years ago. Ended up getting an 05' WRX instead though. All in the family :).

Can't go wrong with that model WRX... what made you choose over the GT? My cousin is currently having to make the same decision.

I ended up getting the WRX because after some research, I discovered that the LGT's had a high rate of turbo failure (which in some cases took the engine out as well) due to an issue with a banjo bolt getting clogged and starving the turbo of oil. If it had not been for this discovery, I would be a LGT owner today.

So I took the car in for a checkup and service at my garage, and from what my mechanic says, the timing belt was about to snap. Weird that, as the dealer said it had just been changed when I purchased the car... Either my car is eating up the belts or the dealer was lying; I'm guessing the latter. At the same time I'm also getting just about all the fluids changed along with nearly every filter swapped out too. Can't wait to get my car back. :D

Gorgeous car, mate! 👍 I love that generation of Legacy, they're nicely styled and very fun. Goo to hear you got hte timing belt changed, having it snap could be very bad :scared:

Gorgeous car, mate! 👍 I love that generation of Legacy, they're nicely styled and very fun. Goo to hear you got hte timing belt changed, having it snap could be very bad :scared:

Thanks, yeah the belt would've been absolutely terrible, but at least I have some warranty with the car in case anything seriously major decides to go.

Turns out I also have a small oil leak that leads oil into the spark plugs, meaning I have to replace seals/gaskets. The price is only getting higher. :nervous:

Bruhhhh it's been ages seen I've seen your LGT, the wheels look mad, what type are they cause I remember ages ago you wanted a particular set for your car :D

Meanwhile I'm still stuck with my bone stock accord euro :lol:

Back