To tune up or down?

• Thread starter Gnobody
  • 18 comments
GTP_Gnobody
Hello All

I know there are some great tuning threads here with a wealth of valuable information regarding tuning, however, I was just wondering what is the best way to get a car to the desired PP rating.

For example, PP600, is it best to tune a car up to 600 or tune a car down to 600?

Personally, I prefer to tune a car up to a desired PP, I fear that if I take a car that has around 700PP and try to tune it down, I will 'unsettle' or 'upset' the car too much. (I have no scientific or tech data to back this up!)

I feel safer in adding to a car than taking away.

Does it make a difference?

Regards

i say tune up. why would you make a car worse?

here is the real question...

hp or lbs?

i like light cars...but that is just me. i figure more hp on a heavy car doesn't always help. oh and i know both at the same time may be best but if you had to choose?

good tires or hp?

what do you think?

I don't think there is a major difference whether you tune up or down. However the main thing is to not change the car dramatically. I try to use cars that are around a similar pp standard to what I am after.

I have had vastly better results from tuning a car up for competition than down, unless you really want a challenge.

A de-tuned ZO6 or F430 against an up-tuned DC5 Integra, Clio V6, etc. is more challenging than it sounds.

I have had vastly better results from tuning a car up for competition than down, unless you really want a challenge.

A de-tuned ZO6 or F430 against an up-tuned DC5 Integra, Clio V6, etc. is more challenging than it sounds.

agreed.
When you add LBS or take away HP the car is no longer the same car. It is very easy to have a nice car underperform when you make it too heavy or take away it's gusto (HP).

Tune it up, that way you can mess with weight/HP. you learn how to tune better if you use your A & B settings and try a couple different tunes out and save one you like. Then start from scratch again and see if you get better results a different way.

Every Track is going to be different for Every Car.

However a good tune up is better than a good tune down!👍

Tune up is more favorable. I've rarely seen a F430 or R8 being the fastest in pp600 races. DC5, tuned clios are the fastest so far.

i say tune up. why would you make a car worse?

here is the real question...

hp or lbs?

good tires or hp?

what do you think?

Thats a relatively hard question to answer. On about 8 out of 10 cars I work with, I always take lbs instead of HP gains.

The reason being is that losing weight increases turning ability, acceleration, and braking, along with many other things.

HP only increases acceleration and top speed. Unless the course is turn free, dropping weight is almost always a better idea in my opinion.

The only way this would not be true is if the game designers intentionally gave the two factors different ratios. IE, they knew weight dropping did the above so they make each point worth 3-4x more then say adding 1 hp. I do not think they do this as for the most part on most cars, you can drop weight or add hp for the same PP value. So it should be an easy choice.

On to your second question. HP or tires. Once again, unless you are only driving straight, tires should always come first. In fact, if you doubt this at all, look up the top 100 times for any track and see what tires they run. Kablaam, there is your answer. Tires increase acceleration, turning ability, and braking while HP only increases acceleration and speed. At the same time, tires also give you the ability to use your HP to the fullest(in high hp cars) so that adding more HP won't always make you go faster until certain speeds.

Anyways, I hope that helps.

Thats a relatively hard question to answer. On about 8 out of 10 cars I work with, I always take lbs instead of HP gains.

The reason being is that losing weight increases turning ability, acceleration, and braking, along with many other things.

HP only increases acceleration and top speed. Unless the course is turn free, dropping weight is almost always a better idea in my opinion.

The only way this would not be true is if the game designers intentionally gave the two factors different ratios. IE, they knew weight dropping did the above so they make each point worth 3-4x more then say adding 1 hp. I do not think they do this as for the most part on most cars, you can drop weight or add hp for the same PP value. So it should be an easy choice.

On to your second question. HP or tires. Once again, unless you are only driving straight, tires should always come first. In fact, if you doubt this at all, look up the top 100 times for any track and see what tires they run. Kablaam, there is your answer. Tires increase acceleration, turning ability, and braking while HP only increases acceleration and speed. At the same time, tires also give you the ability to use your HP to the fullest(in high hp cars) so that adding more HP won't always make you go faster until certain speeds.

Anyways, I hope that helps.

Bingo ! The reason there are so many Elises and Clio's in the top of the charts is they handle.. simple. A well sorted car in terms of handling will absolutely hose a bad handling car with big HP (Except maybe Daytona Oval)

I hate making a car worse than it is (how would you decrease power in real life anyway), but making a car better is fun, and realistic.

Put a Holden badge on it ??

:) just kidding !!

No, that's about right. :P

You could also destroke the motor a bit, less ignition advance, etc.

On the weight/power thing: If you can add 1 hp more cheaply than you can shave 4kg, go with power. Why? 100lbs is equal to a 10hp gain on straights. 40kg is about 95-96lbs.

That, and shaving anything less than about 40-50kg isn't going to make too much of a change in cornering. Or acceleration. Or braking.

So yeah, power would be the way to go a decent bit of the time, IMO.

Oh hah hah, very funny :sly: Hey can you keep a secret that I'm posting in public?
I just got an aprenticeship as a parts interpreter at a Ford dealer.

Hey great news !!
Speaking of Fords.. I spent the weekend fanging my mates 330kw XR6 Turbo round the gold coast.. what a beast !!

Hey great news !!
Speaking of Fords.. I spent the weekend fanging my mates 330kw XR6 Turbo round the gold coast.. what a beast !!

I better get $100/hr there or I'm blaming you :P I wish Holden would make a turbo 6, really wish it :indiff: Instead there's talk now of a base model turbo 4 with good fuel economy. Could help sales, the base model V6 would be unnecessary and they could get the DI V6 then, but still...........turbo 6.

That, and shaving anything less than about 40-50kg isn't going to make too much of a change in cornering. Or acceleration. Or braking.

I reckon it does in the game, and certainly does in real life. Touring Cars use a weight penalty system and the minimum there is 10kg - they wouldn't use it at all if they didn't think it'd make a difference.

Think of it as the driver being ten kilos heavier. As a person you'd certainly notice being ten kilos bigger! 20kg? 30kg? Thats 20 or 30 bags of sugar dotted all over your car.

Even the small weight gains in the game help, though I have to admit in 500PP races I've added some weight to my Elise so that I can increase it's power by 20bhp, because the Elise is lighter than most cars to start with so you aren't losing much.

As for the original question - tune up. It's amazing what better tyres, less weight and more power do for a car, and it's amazing how it affects a quicker car when you take these factors steadily away.

Lighten the car as much as possible for the points with R3 tires on most things (maybe not 500pp needs R3s all round depending).

Every car ive worked on 600 and 750pp, the power to weight ratio is better with less weight and possibly less power, then more power and more weight.

Back