• Thread starter GTsail
  • 6 comments

GTsail

Premium
United States
Florida
GTsail2/GTsail3
Need help with Toe Tuning for GT5 cars

I'm a big fan of GT4 and I am now learning how to tune and drive the cars in GT5.

I'm confused about the toe settings. In GT4 I would usually set the front toe at 1, and the rear toe at -2 for race cars (and I thought that this made the cars more stable, especially under braking or high speeds at Le Mans).

From the various posts I've just read, it seems that in GT5 most (but not all) rear toe settings are set to a + number (like +0.30 or +0.40).

Are the GT5 toe settings backwards from GT4 or did I tune all my cars in GT4 wrong?

Need help with Toe Tuning for GT5 cars

I'm a big fan of GT4 and I am now learning how to tune and drive the cars in GT5.

I'm confused about the toe settings. In GT4 I would usually set the front toe at 1, and the rear toe at -2 for race cars (and I thought that this made the cars more stable, especially under braking or high speeds at Le Mans).

From the various posts I've just read, it seems that in GT5 most (but not all) rear toe settings are set to a + number (like +0.30 or +0.40).

Are the GT5 toe settings backwards from GT4 or did I tune all my cars in GT4 wrong?

I'm not sure about GT4 and it's differences, but we're not in Race Cars on GT5P (generally, although the F2007 and GTLM as probably classed as Race Cars), start a new and play about with it to find what you like. Trial and error is one of the best ways to tune, reading numbers of a webpage will never gain you the same amount of tuning knowledge although they can be a helpful guide to begin with.

Experiment, tweak and improve.

By increasing the cars rear toe to a + you are making the rear more stable and harder to kick sideways, to much will result in understeer and even the car weaving slightly down straights and increased tire wear if that is introduced, making the rear a - will result in the car been more tail happy which tends to be used more with 4wd/fwd cars

thats how i use it anyways im sure others have different experiences

By increasing the cars rear toe to a + you are making the rear more stable and harder to kick sideways, to much will result in understeer and even the car weaving slightly down straights and increased tire wear if that is introduced, making the rear a - will result in the car been more tail happy which tends to be used more with 4wd/fwd cars

thats how i use it anyways im sure others have different experiences

From what I can tell about GT5P, the effects of + or - rear toe that your describing are exactly correct. However, in the real world, if your trying to correct a loose condition with rear toe, there is a limit to how much toe-in (+ rear toe in GT5P) can be added until it actually starts to induce more oversteer. So my question is, does anyone know if such extreme settings of any of the parameters (i.e. too much rear toe-in causing oversteer or too much negative camber reducing cornering grip) will actually reach a peak result and then begin "falling off" in an "opposite" trend?

Depending on the car of course (F1 2007 being a good example) I usually use a little toe in on the front and toe out or + on the rear. eg California. F -0.08 R +0.06.

I fond this helps with turn in and mid corner stability. Too much on the rear and it encourages oversteer (think what way the wheels operate on a 4WS vehicle) Too much also makes the car unstable in a straight line and under braking.

Back