Tokyo Shutoku Expressway - C1, Shinkanjyo, Wangan, etc.

Philippines
MLA
MyogiW34Games
Sure, this isn't Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune of the arcades but there was something that I cannot get out of my head from watching the GT5 Long ending credits where Kaz showcased his cruise around Tokyo's famous Shutoku Expressway.

Seeing as well as SSR5C, SSR5, SSR7, and SSRX were based off the actual shutoku expressways (though SSR5 is rumoured to be based off the Hongkong metro more than Japan, SSR7 being a trimmed high speed Kanagawa variant, and SSRX based off Fukuoka mixed with Yatabe's speedway), having the actual full city track and its different variants wouldn't hurt; hopefully.

We might as well, if it gets voted to be added enough, consider it as the city version of Nurburgring, haha.

metro highway.png

The Tokyo-Kanagawa expressways are popular spots for the car scene in Japan. In the early years of the 21st century it was a hotspot for street racing. It still is one.

This would be 10x fantastic if the full layout is open for online, and also it's infamous Parking Areas are accessible and can also be used as a photo travel location for high res images.

Two I'd like to see is the Tatsumi PA and Daikoku-futo PA.

They promised a Ginza parking spot for a photoshoot venue back in GT5 when the NSX concept was introduced... WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT PROMISE?!

Last edited:
If this was done correct, with access to most if not all the major parking areas, it would truly be amazing!!! I don't think I would need ever go to another track.

There's a lot more to the Tokyo-Kanagawa freeways than is shown in that pic, and it even extends into Saitama. And, as I said in my more recent thread suggesting the C1, there are plenty of dead ends, so you'd have to add at least some surface streets as well, to let drivers turn around. And at that point you're heading straight down the slippery slope of modelling all of Japan while leaving other areas out.

Isn't there anything to use besides a Civic?

Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 had all the Tokyo stuff shown here (and Nagoya, and Osaka) along with a surprising car list for being, you know, a poor translation of a Japanese game.

That included a 1969 Mach 1, a Ford GT, C4 and C5 Corvettes, a 4-cylinder 3rd gen Firebird, the DeTomaso Pantera, and a bunch of Japanese stuff both expected and unexpected.

Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 had all the Tokyo stuff shown here (and Nagoya, and Osaka) along with a surprising car list for being, you know, a poor translation of a Japanese game.

That included a 1969 Mach 1, a Ford GT, C4 and C5 Corvettes, a 4-cylinder 3rd gen Firebird, the DeTomaso Pantera, and a bunch of Japanese stuff both expected and unexpected.

I know, I have the game. It's just that, whenever anyone mentions Kanjo racing, they always end up mentioning Civics in the same sentence.

Among those types of cars I'd prefer an 86 Levin, actually. Might still be a gutless 1.6 liter but at least what power it does make goes to the correct end of the car.

In fact, I've just about beaten TXR3 (need Gameshark to finish it off thanks to a currency conversion oversight). Some of my cars include:

-Z31 300ZX, because I wanted a RWD turbo starter car that wasn't a Chaser and the Mark II didn't have much aero customization available. By the end of the game was becoming quite overmatched against pretty much everything, and the vehicle had become incredibly loose and twitchy as well (not just power oversteer either - the car was completely out to lunch)

-R33 Skyline, all carbon fiber because just because. Still can't approach the 230MPH speed cap - an engine swap bringing 50 extra horsepower and a sixth gear only gets it up to 208MPH on a downhill, even with quite some transmission tuning.

-C4 Corvette, with a lot of time put into a starred-and-striped paint job. Performance-wise it was rather disappointing, giving only about 560 HP fully tuned despite having a variant of the highly tunable SBC engine - that combined with the not-sufficiently-adjustable double-overdrive transmission means that, once again, even 210MPH is out of reach.

-S30 Fairlady Z, with the disc tray autopilot trick employed to get an engine swap. I went for the NA V8 in honor of an SBC-swapped 280Z I saw on CarDomain once, with paint to match, but it was a disappointment - like the Corvette, the 5th and especially 6th gears are really tall and can't be shortened that much, but unlike the Corvette, it doesn't have that much power (about 440 HP) - so you need ridiculously short gears, I mean individual ratios shortened all the way and axle ratio shorter than 5:1, to get any acceleration in 6th. No matter what I try 170MPH is about the best I can do (not sure if I ever got it up to 180), and it's incredibly easy to cook the engine too.

-3rd gen Firebird, blacked out in an attempt to emulate KITT. Why they used an I4 4-speed (automatic?) is beyond me, but that little Iron Duke engine kicks out about as much power as the C4 Corvette when both are fully tuned. Can approach 200 MPH, despite having only 4 forward speeds and a fuel cutoff lower than redline.

-Daihatsu Move, done up because it was the cheapest car in the game. Surprisingly, it can outpull just about anything including modified Skyline GTRs, but its top speed is atrocious - 135MPH normally and barely over 140 with overboost.

-Toyota Supra JZA80, again fully tuned, cherry red because I'm just that original.

Other cars I have experience with include the Toyota Chaser (deserves its recognition as best starter car) and Isuzu Piazza (hard to pick the weak point because the whole car is a joke).

Civics are used because they're quick, agile, noisy and cheap! Practically nothing else is used, on the Osaka Kanjo scene anyway...

Still, I wonder if some alternative coldn't be used... AE86? S13? S14? And you'd think the Osaka Kanjo with its long straights would see some of the bigger rides in use as well.

Still, I wonder if some alternative coldn't be used... AE86? S13? S14? And you'd think the Osaka Kanjo with its long straights would see some of the bigger rides in use as well.
Harder to dodge traffic in RWD's maybe? There's a few Chasers and things as camera car. But that's about it.

Back