Top Gear/Fifth Gear driving Style

  • Thread starter Thread starter G.Boss
  • 23 comments
  • 1,850 views
Messages
200
I just wanted to know, who out there drives like Jeremy in Top Gear or Tiff in 5th Gear. By driving like them, i mean driving a stock car, completly stock, with traction control on. It looks really cool in replays and gives you a good feeling when you do good. It looks like you have TC on but then, when you power out of a corner and sometimes you lose a bit of grip but control it, it feels and looks amazing. It not full on drifting, but it feels more ralistic because you're driving cars as they are in the real world. I just think people should try this because I personally have a lot of fun with it. 👍
 
It's only remotely realistic if you're driving a car that actually has traction control in real life. I think it's stupid that old cars can have it on GT4. Personally, I prefer driving without TCS on unless the car is stupidly overpowered like the Speed 12.
 
I believe he meant to say "OFF" instead of "ON" according to the rest of his post.

And yes, my favorite thing to do in this game right now is take a brand new sports car, stock, with all the driving aids off, and flog it around a random race track and watch the replays. Just like Top Gear.

Here's to hoping that the next Gran Turismo has the Top Gear test track!!!
 
I do that all the time in this game. The specific car-make races are some of the most entertaining ones to me because it's basically stuff like stock skyline vs stock skyline.
 
yes that's what I do almost whenever I go on GT4, grab a unused completely stock car,add some ballast to give it a more realistic weight as to what it is in real life, then chuck it around Costi Almafi (spelling?) for a few laps
 
Tiff is the coolest driver!! I love his drivingstyle and comments he made while driving :)
 
Yeah its cool how those two guys drive, they like to mess about in highley expencive cars that we people can only dream of owning :drool:
 
G.Boss, that's my style. Of course it only works fully on cars like the RX-7 or Supra but the priciple is the same. :)
 
Thats mainly what I do in GT4. Currently I´m testdriving all cars on six different tracks. All cars are stock and fitted with N2, or for more highpowered cars, N3. Racecars get R1 only. Sadly I´m only on C (Chevrolet) as of yet, so it´s gonna take some time...
 
It is a knowen fact that anyone on Top Gear or 5th Gear have Tration control off and any of the other driving aids off. Even when the Stig puts it against the clock he has all the driving aids off.
 
TVR&Ferrari_Fan
It is a knowen fact that anyone on Top Gear or 5th Gear have Tration control off and any of the other driving aids off. Even when the Stig puts it against the clock he has all the driving aids off.

True, but we need to keep in mind that some cars do not allow Traction Control and/or Stability Control systems to be completely disabled.

The Daimler/Chrysler group cars are a major culprit of this, a lot of Merc's can't have them fully disabled, and I can clearly remember the Top Gear when they complained about the 300c having Traction Control that could not be completely disabled.

Regards

Scaff
 
My driving style is nothing like Jeremy Clarksons driving thank you very much! if i was that bad i wouldnt play GT4!! :p :lol:

By the way the first thing i do is turn all driving assistants off when i get a car, it becomes more fun and i cannot stand going round a corner and ........... oh dear the engines bogged down! Stupid ASM! :yuck:
 
I do drive like that as well.. no driving aids at all.. and I love that part where MG SV does "unprovoked assault" on the side of Clarkson's skull :lol:
 
Scaff
True, but we need to keep in mind that some cars do not allow Traction Control and/or Stability Control systems to be completely disabled.

The Daimler/Chrysler group cars are a major culprit of this, a lot of Merc's can't have them fully disabled, and I can clearly remember the Top Gear when they complained about the 300c having Traction Control that could not be completely disabled.

Regards

Scaff

Another group that won't allow you to fully disable the driving aids... Gran Turismo!

No, actually... you can. But you can't PARTIALLY disable the aids. I've been trying to tune in the "stock" driving aids for BMWs, but I can't get them to allow cornering wheelspin no matter how low I tune them.

Basically, at Under/Oversteer 1, the ESC kicks in just before you spin the wheels, and as you go further up, they kick in earlier and earlier. Basically, Under/Over 1 should be 5 or 10, and at Under/Over 1, you should be able to kick the rear end out some 45 degrees before the ESC kicks in.

But no, I don't drive like J.C.... I love my cars too much. Tiff Needell I still respect. :lol:
 
I hate TC on stock cars. Especially older ones. Makes the driving experience seem less real in my opinion.
 
I enjoy flogging stock cars around on pretty much any driving game. Also, unless I'm racing (or unless I actually have to try to win while doing so), I'll just sorta haphazardly drift around, doing this and that and not really paying attention to maintaining a clean line -- just having fun. I guess you could draw a comparison between that and the style of driving that is employed on Top and Fifth Gear whenever they're just talking about the car...driving fast-ish, but not really working hard at it. :lol:
 
You know what I think of driving aids????
See the link at the bottom of my sig refering to loud cars....:lol:

I dont use them in the game unless the car is an uncontrolable beast without them...
 
One thing I find with the aids is that even with them off, once you get sideways in a powerful car, you can floor the throttle and the revs will usually not rise as you might expect in a very powerful car. They just stay constant, and throttle modulation is generally not really required once you're in a slide. Kind of a shame that they still have this form of assistance on. Anyone else noticed this?

Back to the topic, I am the next Tiff Needell, but not Jeremy Clarkson ;) Although, I always used to think when Clarkson was doing a segment on a runway getting sideways, that in the outside of car shots of sliding they had Tiff in the car. It does appear he can actually get sideways I suppose. For some reason, when he's talking, he gives me the impression that he can't drive AT ALL. :)
 
JC is a mad man. I turn off all the aids though.
 
cchhrriiss1982
Here's to hoping that the next Gran Turismo has the Top Gear test track!!!

It should have!!!
And then we can start our own laptimes in a reasonably priced car leaderboard, and who's gonna be the Stig next year competition!
 
i do the same thing, for the last 6weeks i have been at the same %completion despite playing everyday. The only racing i have been doing is the el capitan enduro for money to buy cars. I buy stock cars and give them a 'sports package', consisting of sports exhaust, ecu upgrade and maybe sports brakes. Then ill drive random laps or do the family cups.
 
If I don't take the TCS/ASM off it's because I forgot. I hate the way you can almost drive around the tracks, throttle buried. Come to a corner, steer in and the TCS etc scrubs the speed off for you. Where's the fun?

IRL I leave the TCS on the vast majority of the time, though it's hardly ever used in a low power FF. :)
 
Back