Top Gear in GT5: On Tonight's Program...

• Thread starter TehMasta23
  • 1 comments
United States
Columbus, Georg
FlipFlopMomma
So today, me and one of my bros (not literally) decided to do a Top Gear-esque challenge, placing restrictions on the budget and the type of car.
The first experiment conducted was the 15k Standard FR Challenge
We were both given 15k credits and told to find a suitable used Front engine-rear drive car.
I personally found a 1991 Silvia Q's (S13) for 12,884 credits, which gave me a modding budget of 2116. With that money I purchased a Racing Air filter, a Sports Cat. Converter, and a sports flywheel, coming to 370 PP with 147 BHP.
Ruby229 on the other hand purchased a 1985 Savanna RX-7 ET-Limited (FC) for 14,305 credits which left him with a massive budget of 695, that of which was not used.
We compared our times to two cars, a Suzuki Swift Sport and a 1997 Civic Type R (EK). Note that the Civic was cliche'd, but it was the closest thing to our cars.
I recorded a 3:42 in my Silvia on Cape Ring (full size), tying my set time with the Swift at 3:42. Ruby recorded a 3:36 in the RX-7, beating his time in the Swift by a whopping second, at 3:37.
Points were granted for leftover money after mods, leaving me with 516, and Ruby with 695. Points were also awarded for how much faster you were in your car compared to the Swift and Civic laps you set. (0.5 a point per second faster than the swift, and 1 point per second faster than the Civic.)
My score came to be: 516 points
Ruby's score came to: 695.5 points

The 13k FF Challenge
We then decided to try our hands with a lower budget and a different drive-train. We both set off to buy a FF car after clearing the Used car lot once. The same rules applied as before, except that if there was found to be an under powered vehicle, then a bonus of 5,000 was granted to bring that car to snuff.
I found a 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg ZR for 10,695 with a budget of 2,305. I applied the same mods as before, but now had a magnificent 393 PP with 181 BHP.
Ruby had some trouble finding a competitive car, and ended up having to pay extra out of pocket for a 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT, at approximately 19k, leaving no money for mods.
I again used the Civic, finding it matched my PP at 392 out-of-the-box.
Ruby used a 2011 Mini Cooper S Countryman, finding the same as me. (that that car was similar in performance, only stock.)
I recorded a 1:13 in the Civic and tied with the Mirage. Ruby had a 1:12 in the Mini, and went a full second faster with the Vibe. (On Cape Ring Inside)
After mods, i had 705 credits, and I was no faster than the civic lap.
Ruby had 0 credits, as his car was over-budget, and actually received a negative of about 6,000. He was 1 second faster than his lap in the mini.
Points awarded accordingly, i won with a total of 705, whereas Ruby lost with somewhere in the neighborhood of negative 5,999.

As of now, we are tied for challange wins at 1 -to-1, with more experiments in the near future.

great idea. Sounds like a lot of fun.
One thing though. Maybe you should try to do some more challenges, like a dragrace, top speed test, breaking test etc. and award more points for winning those challenges, because I think the price of your respective vehicles is really what desides the outcome of the race at this point.
Like buying a new air filter will cost you 250 points because of the price, but it will barely gain you 1 point in the race.
Maybe you could adjust it by deducting 1 point pr. 1000 credit over budget, and reward 1 point pr. 1000 credit under.

Back