Top Gear

  • Thread starter Thread starter ACJMED
  • 25 comments
  • 1,910 views
Messages
95
United States
Peoria, Illinois
Messages
sekonicthrasher
What do you think about getting enough people to vote or send an email to TopGear asking them to try out GT5 with the G27 and a playseat to see how REAL the simulation is. Then maybe compare it to Forza 4 and find out all the bad things about it? This is just a small idea I had while watching topgear and playing gt5:sly: .
 
Didn't Jeremy use Gran Turismo once? NSX at Laguna Seca. To see if he could match his times. That was PS2 days thought. Be good to try again and see how far it has come.
 
I just said something like that in another thread. Great minds think alike. The Stig going online to test his skills at a Seasonal Time Trial would be awesome...or halarious if he doesn't even crack the top 250.
 
Would be a good one. If we get enough people to suggest doing it, i'm sure they would try it out. Considering they are a British television show and a majority of the people i see on GT5 are British, I don't see why this wouldn't be accomplishable. Finger crossed.
 
I'd like to see Jeremy compare GT5 to real life, things that he had issue with aren't there any more (Except the fear those walls give you and the risk of dying that made him slower obviously)

Like how there "wasn't a corner" in GT4 after the straight.
It would certainly be an interesting episode.
 
Didn't Jeremy use Gran Turismo once? NSX at Laguna Seca. To see if he could match his times. That was PS2 days thought. Be good to try again and see how far it has come.

I remember that episode,he was faster on gt then real life.
 
I remember that episode,he was faster on gt then real life.

Things like the corkscrew and just how tight those walls are is a lot more scary in reality than in a game. You can't Restart Race after plowing into the wall at Corkscrew.

Not to mention the fact the course had to be compromised because of the physics limitations not allowing for a perfect recreation in GT4.

GT5 doesn't have that problem as far as I can tell so naturally I'm interested in a "rematch" as it were.. However, I'm still not sure if Jeremy can push it as far as he would in Gran Turismo. He's getting old now and he has a family to think about.

On the odd occasion I have an accident in GT5 I take a moment to humble myself and remember how bad it could of been if it had happened in reality. So I guess I think about this sort of stuff more often than most
 
Things like the corkscrew and just how tight those walls are is a lot more scary in reality than in a game. You can't Restart Race after plowing into the wall at Corkscrew.

Not to mention the fact the course had to be compromised because of the physics limitations not allowing for a perfect recreation in GT4.

GT5 doesn't have that problem as far as I can tell so naturally I'm interested in a "rematch" as it were.. However, I'm still not sure if Jeremy can push it as far as he would in Gran Turismo. He's getting old now and he has a family to think about.

On the odd occasion I have an accident in GT5 I take a moment to humble myself and remember how bad it could of been if it had happened in reality. So I guess I think about this sort of stuff more often than most

All it takes is a split second of wheel off track trying to get a wide run in to the corner ands in GT5 world you're limping to the pits with 4 corners of damage. In the real world you'd be going to the hospital with 4 corners of death.

On a lighter note, I wonder if he's a noob and would use SRF and ASM. :p
 
All it takes is a split second of wheel off track trying to get a wide run in to the corner ands in GT5 world you're limping to the pits with 4 corners of damage. In the real world you'd be going to the hospital with 4 corners of death.

On a lighter note, I wonder if he's a noob and would use SRF and ASM. :p

Believe me, I know this better than most.

And I'd imagine Jeremy would go for no aids, he doesn't use TCS on cars he tests. Would be funny seeing everyone freak out over it if he did use the training wheels though =P
 
Thing that bugged me most was that he didn't even use a wheel. I would love to see him give it another shot with a wheel. He can try Spa this time. ;)
 
It would be a repeat of the GT4 comparison, ie Jeremy makes stuff up so that GT sounds 1000 times more realistic than it is.

Just about every attempt to judge the realism of a video game that I've read has been a joke. The GT vs Forza thread in this section is one of the better sources of information.
 
It would never happen with GT5. The Top Gear test track and Top Gear license is included in GT5, which means that the BBC are not allowed to advertise the game. Since the BBC are funded by British taxes, theyare not allowed to promote anything that they have a commercial interest in.
 
The test result will be the same as it was when jeremy tested GT4 vs laguna seca

i.e The lack of fear when driving video games is the reason why games and real life racing will always be worlds apart.

Other than that, they can try to measure how well GT5 simulates tire grip and cornering, but even that is pointless as you dont get a variety of external stimuli in video games. And the tire modeling in GT sucks along with other things (aero, g-forces etc). We are pretty far from calling GT a "real driving simulator"

It would be an interesting watch if topgear were to do this again, but ultimately pointless.
 
Thing that bugged me most was that he didn't even use a wheel. I would love to see him give it another shot with a wheel. He can try Spa this time. ;)

thats true, i didnt remember that. they really shouldve used a wheel.

Still wouldnt make much of a difference at the end of the day, result should be the same.
 
What do you think about getting enough people to vote or send an email to TopGear asking them to try out GT5 with the G27 and a playseat to see how REAL the simulation is. Then maybe compare it to Forza 4 and find out all the bad things about it? This is just a small idea I had while watching topgear and playing gt5:sly: .

Tiff Needell of Fifth Gear did a comparison of GT5 & 4 (or so) different games recently.
 
MSTER232

The link is in the thread about Forza vs. GT Thracian up near the top of the Q&A section. One of the later pages. The gaming starts around minute 19.
 
Top Gear (USA) did a FM4 vs Real Life episode in their first season. Tested the LFA at Infineon with Tanner Faust driving the real car. Clearly Turn-10 has spent the money to be promoted by Top Gear, so I doubt a GT5 comparo would ever happen.
 
Top Gear (USA) did a FM4 vs Real Life episode in their first season. Tested the LFA at Infineon with Tanner Faust driving the real car. Clearly Turn-10 has spent the money to be promoted by Top Gear, so I doubt a GT5 comparo would ever happen.

That's quite an assumption you're making there.
 
That's quite an assumption you're making there.

How do you figure that is an assumption? If a video game is promoted on a TV show, you can be guaranteed that Video Game manufacturer has contributed money.
 
iamsupernasty
How do you figure that is an assumption? If a video game is promoted on a TV show, you can be guaranteed that Video Game manufacturer has contributed money.

It is entirely possible; but that does not mean they have exclusive rights. For example, I see Ford and GM advertise things on the same show all the time. An NFL pregame show is sponsored by Ford, but then at the first commercial break they advertise the new Silverado.
 
It is entirely possible; but that does not mean they have exclusive rights. For example, I see Ford and GM advertise things on the same show all the time. An NFL pregame show is sponsored by Ford, but then at the first commercial break they advertise the new Silverado.

Fair enough :)

I doubt Top Gear USA would it again since they don't want to do the same kind of episode twice, but I suppose it's been long enough that Top Gear UK could try it again.

When I think about it more though, I'd say it's safe to assume they wouldn't promote a game as old as GT5 though. I think it's highly likely we'll see something like this when GT6 is released though.
 
ACJMED
What do you think about getting enough people to vote or send an email to TopGear asking them to try out GT5 with the G27 and a playseat to see how REAL the simulation is. Then maybe compare it to Forza 4 and find out all the bad things about it? This is just a small idea I had while watching topgear and playing gt5:sly: .

I don't see the folks at Top Gear feeling the need for childish fanboyness. Forza is the better game and everybody knows this, so what you're asking is for the Top Gear crew to do is try making a big deal about specific aspects of the games to help GT fanboys feel better. The Top Gear folks aren't GT fanboys.

Also, let us not forget which of the franchises actually bothered to get Top Gear involvement beyond simply rendering the test track and slapping the name on a few boring events. (Hint: It wasn't Gran Turismo.)
 
I don't see the folks at Top Gear feeling the need for childish fanboyness. Forza is the better game and everybody knows this, so what you're asking is for the Top Gear crew to do is try making a big deal about specific aspects of the games to help GT fanboys feel better. The Top Gear folks aren't GT fanboys
I think that this is the most contradictory post that I have ever read in GTP.

On topic, if there was not any conflict of interest between the two games and the program it would be awesome but for a more serious comparo I would choose Fifth Gear.
 
I don't see the folks at Top Gear feeling the need for childish fanboyness. Forza is the better game and everybody knows this, so what you're asking is for the Top Gear crew to do is try making a big deal about specific aspects of the games to help GT fanboys feel better. The Top Gear folks aren't GT fanboys.

Also, let us not forget which of the franchises actually bothered to get Top Gear involvement beyond simply rendering the test track and slapping the name on a few boring events. (Hint: It wasn't Gran Turismo.)

So... why did Clarkson use GT on a PS to do his game/real-life comparison of NSX at Laguna Seca? Something to do with realism... oh I don't know... :sly:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/nsx-v-playstation
 
Back