Top speeds for stock (oil change only) cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter calan_svc
  • 7 comments
  • 868 views
Messages
594
United States
OKC, U.S.
Messages
calansvc
Anyone compiling this info? If not...anyone want to start? :D

I'm thinking sport softs, no mods or setup other than an oil change... and record the HP, weight, and top speed on the chicaneless La Sarthe.

Any takers?
 
I believe the Amuse GT1 Turbo with downforce maxed out was around 205 or 206 mph
 
I started doing something like this but with laps of Daytona instead of pure top speed on Sarthe. Also I didn't change tires. Then I decided it was like comparing apples to oranges if you didn't have the same tires but I didn't want to buy 6-8000 CR tires for 1000+ cars so I kind of gave up. Now I wonder if tires would make much difference on a long straight like Sarthe? I need to do some experimenting...

Next thing to think about. Do you give 20K CR trannys to every car, every car that hits the rev limiter, or none (effectively limiting a group of cars to a lower top speed than they are capable of - think early muscle cars)?

More difficult, and certainly requiring a "standard" tire, would be determining fastest times on a twisty course. I found I was not a consistent enough driver to even attempt that... In GT4 you could keep Bspec at zero experience in Arcade and every run was reproducible to the .001 sec, but there is nothing like that in GT5.
 
I started doing something like this but with laps of Daytona instead of pure top speed on Sarthe. Also I didn't change tires. Then I decided it was like comparing apples to oranges if you didn't have the same tires but I didn't want to buy 6-8000 CR tires for 1000+ cars so I kind of gave up. Now I wonder if tires would make much difference on a long straight like Sarthe? I need to do some experimenting...

Next thing to think about. Do you give 20K CR trannys to every car, every car that hits the rev limiter, or none (effectively limiting a group of cars to a lower top speed than they are capable of - think early muscle cars)?

I don't think tires would matter much for top straight line speed; but they should be the same to remove as many potential variables as possible.

More difficult, and certainly requiring a "standard" tire, would be determining fastest times on a twisty course. I found I was not a consistent enough driver to even attempt that...

I'm working on the handling aspect and creating a rating system for it, which is why I was wondering if anyone else wanted to attack the top speed testing. In fact, I could use some help with that also now that you mention it. :D

Why not give it a go yourself

Thanks for that helpful comment. ;)
 
Last edited:
I reached 350 kmh with my untouched Enzo (no oil change) in the rain. It might go a few kmh more but i had to brake.
 
The bumps on sarthe are going to make it so suspension is a major factor. If someone were to do this, I would recommend SSR7 tunnel instead.
 
The bumps on sarthe are going to make it so suspension is a major factor. If someone were to do this, I would recommend SSR7 tunnel instead.

Good point. SSR7 it is. ;)
 
Back