• 2 comments

VBR

Meme Dissident in Exile...
Premium
England
Yorkshire
ScapeGoat4U
WhippingBoy
I recently took a punt on a second hand Samsung ME32C in an eBay auction. On the box it says, "Samsung Professional Display", & at first I thought it meant pro display as in something that CAD/video/photo editors would use. You know, the displays that are super accurate in their colour reproduction. But no, it's a commercial display, that is; it's Digital Signage (the ones you see in shops & businesses, etc). Even though it's meant for signage, it's also fully functional as a PC monitor & a TV. It was only £66 all in, although I have seen them go for much more. The only downside I can see is the lag is around 8ms, but that's not so bad as many average TV's are in similar territory. The upside is that there are a gazillion different kinds of connections on these types of screens.

So, if you want a big ass monitor, don't wanna pay the earth, & aren't particularly bothered about having A1 gaming performance, then why not consider picking up some cheap digital signage instead. Some really big screens are going cheap as chips on eBay. Just search for "Digital Signage" & have a look for yourself...

👍

Last edited:
I've bought digital signage before to use as a TV, awesome deals to be had, good suggestion. The only problem was they don't come with built in tuners (that's where some money is saved) so I bought an external freesat box.

But a lot of sim racers (gamers in general) are looking for refresh rates well above 60Hz. Do any of these digital signage displays have that? I wouldn't have thought so given their intended use.

Personally I'm perfectly happy gaming at 1080p60.

I've bought digital signage before to use as a TV, awesome deals to be had, good suggestion. The only problem was they don't come with built in tuners (that's where some money is saved) so I bought an external freesat box.

But a lot of sim racers (gamers in general) are looking for refresh rates well above 60Hz. Do any of these digital signage displays have that? I wouldn't have thought so given their intended use.

Personally I'm perfectly happy gaming at 1080p60.

I don't if they have any that run above 60hz, that's all that my one is. However, my one also has a built-in TV tuner. I'm happy to do 1080p/60 as well.

👍

Back