Torque>HP for drifting

I've found that cars like the RX-8 and the S2000 are hard to drift unless you're in the sweet spot. Usually for them the speed drops, and you wind up catching mega grip in the middle of long turns (R246 semicircle type). But if I'm in a car with the same horsepower or a little more with a lot more torque, I can keep the tires burning consistently, so I don't even have to stay on the gas...I can just flick it. Has anyone else seen this, or do my RX-8/S2000/Altezza settings just suck?

your settings suck, i can keep sideways in a 293 hp mugen s2000 around that r246 semicircle O_O

its all in using sims and a good suspension setup.

For cars like the RX-8 and the S2000, the engines like to rev high, so if you want to stay in that certain sweetspot, you may have to stay in a higher gear or just like LanEvo said, try adjusting your gear ratios. The cars are not bad for drifting, but your style does not fit those cars.

If you really like those cars, then you need to adjust your settings. The Drift Settings Depot has a really good Altezza gear setting. I use it myself with normal tires in the rear and super softs up front.....some minor mods to the susp and TCS, but I'm able to drift with it just fine.

There are alot of things you can try....tire combos, gearing, suspension, etc. Find what will keep you in that zone for your personal style.

Originally posted by xsyorra
If you really like those cars, then you need to adjust your settings. The Drift Settings Depot has a really good Altezza gear setting. I use it myself with normal tires in the rear and super softs up front.....some minor mods to the susp and TCS, but I'm able to drift with it just fine.

There are alot of things you can try....tire combos, gearing, suspension, etc. Find what will keep you in that zone for your personal style.

Do you mind PM-ing me your modified settings of the Altezza xsyorra??

I can drift anything on sims...I could probably drift a stock RX8/S2000 on sims. Slicks are a totally different ballgame though. Even the RX-7 with 700HP doesn't have as crazy angles as I like. That might just be my lack of skill/style though...

Originally posted by bengee
without reading anything. torque is always greater than power...

well... HP = (Torque * RPM) / 5252

:)

But yeah, depends on how you use it... both can be wanted, but your torque IS what determines your HP.

In my opinion, what really matters is usable torque. Not just the amount of torque you're outputting, but the way you're outputting it. Engines don't create power at a constant rate, they are firing at a certain speed. Usable torque expresses the amount of torque you can apply within a certain traction limit. With more usable torque, you can put more power down on the same tires under the same conditions. Forced induction engines (turbocharged and supercharged) have more usable torque because as the charge is compressed more the explosion burns longer and produces a smoother power delivery. Rotaries also have improved usable torque because they are not converting the inherently reciprocal motion of up and down into a rotational force. So to be blunt, the best drifting motor would be a forced induction rotary.

a forced induction rotary may make the most usable torque. But NA cars have an advantage over Turbo cars because
Katsuhiro Ueo
"turbo cars can not be on the throttle the whole what around the turn, while an NA car can mash the gas all the way through the turn with a smooth drift"...

Depends on how well-built your engine is and how good your throttle control is, unless you're using some 4-banger with a huge T4 or something rediculous like that. Turbo engines can be a little unpredictable at first but once you learn the response and spool of your engine you can drive it similar to an NA.

Back