Torque ranges

United States
United States
How can I tell if an engine has a narrow or wide torque range? I'm currently building up the R32 V-SPEC II and I'm trying to figure out if I should upgrade the flywheel because the Sports, Semi Racing and Racing flywheels all have a side effect that makes engines with a narrow torque range lose speed easily when the road rises. Does the RB26DETT have a narrow or wide torque range?

Do you not look at the power curves in the settings? It gives you a pretty good idea on the peak power, hence how early the car is delivering the best acceleration.

How can I tell if an engine has a narrow or wide torque range? I'm currently building up the R32 V-SPEC II and I'm trying to figure out if I should upgrade the flywheel because the Sports, Semi Racing and Racing flywheels all have a side effect that makes engines with a narrow torque range lose speed easily when the road rises. Does the RB26DETT have a narrow or wide torque range?

Are you referring to the blurb text in the parts shop? I wouldn't pay it too much mind, Gran Turismo 1 isn't that advanced. All the flywheel upgrades do is help your engine rev faster, they are straight benefits with no downside. But to answer your question, you just need to look at your torque and power curves. If it's broader and flatter, it's a wide range. If it's pointier with a steep peak, it's a narrow range. Applies to both power and torque.

Are you referring to the blurb text in the parts shop? I wouldn't pay it too much mind, Gran Turismo 1 isn't that advanced. All the flywheel upgrades do is help your engine rev faster, they are straight benefits with no downside. But to answer your question, you just need to look at your torque and power curves. If it's broader and flatter, it's a wide range. If it's pointier with a steep peak, it's a narrow range. Applies to both power and torque.
Appreciate it man, I've honestly seen the differences the parts can do. Like with the clutch plates. I've experienced that NA cars love triple-plate and turbos love twin-plate. If you swap them you'll definitely get different lap times than your used to. Thank you explaining the difference between narrow and wide torque ranges and how to see them in the game!

All the flywheel upgrades do is help your engine rev faster, they are straight benefits with no downside.

To be technical, they reduce the flywheel inertia, reduce the wheel inertia, and increase the engine braking values a bit. Clutch upgrades do the same but less, while the propshaft upgrade does only the inertia parts.

There's only one specific case where they're not an upgrade - fitting all three of those together to any of the the Mitsubishi GTOs along with a racing modification and high front downforce causes a weird behaviour where the car won't accelerate at high speeds. For the GTOs, skip the propshaft and use the second-top level flywheel, for everything else it's fine.

To be technical, they reduce the flywheel inertia, reduce the wheel inertia, and increase the engine braking values a bit. Clutch upgrades do the same but less, while the propshaft upgrade does only the inertia parts.

There's only one specific case where they're not an upgrade - fitting all three of those together to any of the the Mitsubishi GTOs along with a racing modification and high front downforce causes a weird behaviour where the car won't accelerate at high speeds. For the GTOs, skip the propshaft and use the second-top level flywheel, for everything else it's fine.

Thank you as always for the detailed explanations, these are why I keep coming back here!

Polys definitely count with differenct clutches and flywheels
1699382319368.png

Wow that's really cool, I had no idea the older games could be made to display this in-game, even with mods.

Flywheel and road wheels have moments of inertia, even as far back as GT1!

Weird units for the stabilisers and bump rubber, looks like a Youngs modulus or shear modulus. Wonder why they didn't just display them as another effective spring rate...

Last edited:
That's a debug feature in a pre-release version of the game that was never meant to be public. The values will be what the physics engine is using internally, so that the developers could check that things were working as expected.

The implementation of upgrades in GT hasn't really changed significantly between GT1 and GT7, other than a lot of the engine parts being simplified between GT1 and GT2 so that they're a flat torque multiplier rather than being able to reshape the curve.

Back