Torque TV: The New Speedvision/Speed Channel?

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 13 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
"Torque TV: TV For the Speed Breed"

Speed Channel has been long gone. In life after Speed... enter Torque TV? This channel was created by Speedvision (remember THAT channel?) founder Roger Werner. According to their website, this network will debut on March 1, 2015. Twitter material I read noted this will carry series such as Pirelli World Challenge, DTM, and other material. It seems like a proper outlet for motorsports programming (and perhaps automotive programming) will return to TV in the days since Speed Channel was turned into FOX Sports 1.

Here are a handful of links with more information on TORQUE TV and various other stuff:
* http://www.torque.tv (official site)
* http://www.motorsport.com/general/news/speedvision-founder-has-big-plans-for-torque-tv/
* http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/item/110556-speedvision-founder-relaunches-torque-tv

I haven't found a post on GTPlanet discussing this. This isn't about any specific motorsport. So I put this thread here. If this thread could be put in a more appropriate forum, please move it and accept my apologies for putting it initially in the Motorsport forum. Anyhow... what do you make of this whole deal regarding Torque TV and what it means for North American automotive and motorsports fans?

This is looking good. I never felt Fox Sports was doing a good job as a Speed channel replacement. Torque has a good line up planned, can't wait. Really I'm just looking for good WEC coverage.

How long before Werner sells off the network and it gets turned into something it wasn't and this process starts all over again?

I couldn't find Speed last week to watch the reruns for the USGP. Wonder if this new channel will be able to show reruns.

I'm not getting my hopes up as the website seems clumsy (can't imagine streaming in HD with it) and they haven't given any details about their billing (mostly how much and how easy it is to cancel).

Don't assume anything until information is confirmed by a reputable source.

My only sort of concern is... TV culture has changed vastly for the most part since the Speedvision days. Even more so as Speedvision relaunched as Speed Channel. Is Torque TV going to be as good as with at least the Speedvision days? What programs and series could we see? With more people sold on online/streaming media than traditional cable/satellite TV, how will that media play a factor in Torque TV's programming?

Plenty of questions... but I'm sure we'll get plenty of answers as time wears on.

Torque TV and CBS Sports network have a pretty impressive list of racing available.

CBS sport network will air,some of it same day.
  1. Australian V8 Supercars
  2. Blancpain Endurance Series
  3. Blancpain Sprint Series
  4. BTCC
  5. DTM
  6. Pirelli World Challenge
  7. Bike Road Racing Series
Torque will stream all of that plus much,much more. http://www.torque.tv/learn/

Current Torque TV actually isn't that bad.
They have a lot of good videos such as A quick review of the carrera Panemericana

A few times on CBS Sports Network, I've seen mentionings of Torque TV. Like earlier this month, I've seen SKUSA kart racing coverage from Las Vegas with promotions talking about Torque TV. When I checked out Torque TV's website, it's nowadays been transformed to Motor Trend OnDemand. Officially called "Motor Trend OnDemand Powered by Torque TV." Interesting development.

How long before Werner sells off the network and it gets turned into something it wasn't and this process starts all over again?
Now it's Motortrend On Demand like the post above says and will be a pay-subscription service. The greed strikes again :rolleyes:

MAV TV seems to have been rebranded from 'Murica into "Motorsports TV". Dave Despain even has a new version of WindTunnel on it apparently. Other than that, the commercial for it seemed to focus on just silly reality TV car shows.

Not sure where the motorsports part of it is....

Back