Toyata Sets Le Mans Record - How do GT6 Cars Compare?

United States
Texas
XizangM1
3:14.791 - That's 2 seconds faster than a fully-tuned Pescarolo with Racing Softs! :eek:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...yota-just-obliterated-the-le-mans-lap-record/

"Today during qualifying session two of the 2017 24 Hours of Le Mans, Toyota LMP1 driver Kamui Kobayashi broke the Circuit de la Sarthe lap record with a 3:14.791 time—more than two seconds faster than the previous record set by Neel Jani in 2015."

I'm curious to know if anyone has an LMP setup that can match or beat this lap time on the 2013 circuit? Today's LMP cars, evidently, are insane. :D

I saw that message, I spent all night tuning a Pescarolo and I'm just under that record, and now at 3:13.702 but I think I've another second doable on the current setup and some gearing changes maybe another second on top. I think I can go into the 3:10s eventually

As it happens, first lap on tonight straight out of the blocks did just that, took a lot of the downforce out of the car, was a bit skittish under braking and turning in I thought, but went and planted a 3:10.936

KORIxYm.jpg

I know a bunch of people on here that would absolutely destroy my time using a fully tuned Pesky... I would even bet that the recently set real world record of 3:14.791 could be at least matched with a TS030... @coryclifford care to try??? :sly:

Cheers

Wow. 3:05 is pretty out there.

I'm always curious if the best laptimes generally are set with a steering wheel setup rather than the controller? I can't see where another 5 seconds would come from here, as i'm pretty sure that tweaks to suspension, braking, etc, wont make that much difference.

...maybe its all about gearing

Gearing is pretty important.

I'm in my 623 PP TS030 on RS tires, at low 3:24s 👎:crazy: I took all the aero off, changed the transmission final drive and went at it for a while. Can't fathom going 10 seconds faster.

I'm always curious if the best laptimes generally are set with a steering wheel setup rather than the controller? I can't see where another 5 seconds would come from here, as i'm pretty sure that tweaks to suspension, braking, etc, wont make that much difference.

I use a controller and in Automatic Transmission to boot. Having a good transmission tune is important here, but so is downforce... too much will slow you down while too little will make the car less controllable. I lose time just by using AT... but having good differential settings can help with that as well. Track knowledge is really essential here as your braking points will make a difference in the long run.

Cheers

Agree on the braking points a lot, easy to save 0.5sec each on at least three major points on track if not more, rolling into a corner on the three points on the mulsanne loses loads if you brake too early.

I spent last night going through all the big cars last night, the '89 Sauber, the big XJR Jag, the Minolta Toyota, the 2010 Audi and the Bentley, all now lapping under 3:18 eventually. The Pescarolo still tops the list by a fair margin.

Taking all the aero off the car takes at least 5-6 seconds off, but very loose under braking. Some epic tank slappers in the Porsche curves....

@Tania Thomas if you'd like another alternative, I'd strongly recommend the Peugeot 905B Evo... it is a stupidly fast contender in this class, second only to the Pesky C60 Hy. Another car to try out is the Peugeot VGT, as it gets my vote for "LMP Killer"... again stupidly fast, especially off the line as it is AWD.

Cheers

Last edited:
Interesting....bought the 905, rather unimpressed on first running. It's got a good power to weight ratio but it's near on 160bhp down on the modern era LMP cars which top 1150bhp,

I lapped 3:18 with the 905 which is on par with the other 80s-90s classics which have the same power. It's a generation away from the Audi,Peugeot 908 and Pescarolo....

Maybe a good tune helps with the 905?

I'm addicted to Le Mans now....

Thought I'd try - for a laugh - the turbine powered Chaparral and lopped a hilarious 20 seconds off my best official lap of 3:13.702. Had a break, thought I'd revisit the Pescarolo as I'd not set a time with that in a few days. I'd been unfaithful to it with every LM car I could find and figured out a lot about optimum racing lines, braking spots,etc.

So...first lap out, nailed a 'red' laptime of 3:10.596.. fair enough I thought, it's doable...made sure I didn't overstep the track limits again and void another lap

Sector lap times 29.7, 31.6, 25.1, 20.3, 26.0, 27.7, 29.8,- 3:10.596 void lap
Second lap 29.3, 31.5, 25.3, 20.5, 26.1, 27.4, 30.6 - 3:10.948
Third lap. 29.3, 30.7, 24.8, 20.7, 25.9, 28.1, 29.7.-3:09.593

Taking the best of all three, I could save 0.4s in sector 4, 0.7 in sector 6, so a mid 3:08 is in there.

Not happy as I lost a finger nail in the controller on my opening lap. Grrrr....

Here's my leaderboard, as it stands. Pity there's not a second rollover page as there's a lot of varied LM classics in the 3:15 to 3:25 bracket. It's a who's who of beauties...

Attachments

• IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 32

The wheel probably saves time through the twisty bits and chicanes, better gas and steering modulation. Now there will be fast controllers, maybe 1/10 or 1/20 who can match a wheel.

Back