Toyota announce De Matta

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 16 comments

vat_man

Staff Emeritus
Well, Toyota have confirmed what everyone expected - De Matta for a two year deal next to Panis at Toyota.

As Giles mentioned in the other F1 thread, that just leaves the Minardi seats - I doubt Sato will be ousted from Jordan - well, more correctly, I hope Sato isn't ousted from Jordan. This is assuming there's no Arrows next year.

I would assume that with Webber at Jaguar the Minardis will be running Cosworth engines next year - if the car's okay the black cars might a handy thing for some young thing to impress in - or even Jos...

Well Toyota are pulling out of CART (rats, sinking ships anyone?), which kinda leaves Newman-Haas high and dry, so to take their champion driver too really is rubbing salt in the wounds. I would think that Toyota are bankrolling N-H's engine deal for next year.

It will be interesting to see how Toyota deal with Second-Year Syndrome. My guess is that they've learned a lot this year and could go quite well, certainly they'll be closer to top-ten on a more regular basis.

Originally posted by f1king
Well I for one think Toyota did very well for first timers.

No question, although they did have a huge budget and a year to prepare. That said, anyone looks good after the Stewart -> Jaguar fiasco.

This is why I think Second Year Syndrome will be interesting at Toyota - seeing how they cope with the pressures of designing a 2003 car whilst still running the 2002 car.

Originally posted by 12sec. Civic
So does this mean that Dematta will be with Toyota for 2003?

Yes.

I know you're new to this game, so I'll point out some real giveaway hints to you, which you'll see are hindsight, now, but when they happen again (and they will!), you'll be able to spot the dross from the gold in the rumour mill...

Fact 1: Toyota (like all major manufacturers) are in F1 for the marketing, nothing else.
Fact 2: Toyota are huge, everywhere. Except South America. Cristiano da Matta is Brazilian.
Fact 3: Manufacturers think that car buyers in certain countries will buy more of their cars if they employ an F1 driver who comes from that country. I.E. Toyota think they will sell more Toyotas in France because Olivier (French) Panis is driving for them.
Fact 4: When a company places a driver (i.e. da Matta) with a team (i.e. Newman Haas), to whom they supply engines, and then that company withdraws the engine supply, they feel that they 'owe' something to the placed driver.

These four factors should be enough to make you think that da Matta was a shoe-in at Toyota.

Thus concludes F1 Politics Lesson 101! :)

But you forgot to mention that nothing is a done deal in F1 until the first race starts in March!

Otherwise, very well said, Prof. Guthrie!

Originally posted by pupik
But you forgot to mention that nothing is a done deal in F1 until the first race starts in March!

Otherwise, very well said, Prof. Guthrie!

It's probably reasonably set. After all, da Matta hasn't signed for Arrows!!

off topic but.... CART is actually going to switch to a single engine manufacturer for next years season. Starting next year, CART will run a Ford Cosworth Engine. I dont like this, but hopefully it will make the series better by allowing more passes. e Maybe Da Matta will give Schumacher a run for his money if Toyota can get it right. I know I am dreaming but it would be nice to see some competition in F1.

I haven't checked the F1 for a while, and i am not a regular goer here, but its good to see Panis racing again :thumbsup: :)

P.S. I haven't been fully involved in F1 since about 1997-98...:(

Originally posted by DODGE the VIPER
I haven't checked the F1 for a while, and i am not a regular goer here, but its good to see Panis racing again :thumbsup: :)

P.S. I haven't been fully involved in F1 since about 1997-98...:(
Yeah - I was going to say, he's just come off a couple of seasons at BAR.

Is Dixon even interested in F1?

Back