Toyota guys help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sniffs
  • 6 comments
  • 587 views
Messages
2,568
Messages
we're waiting for the PS4
Messages
fishtailrook1 (?)
in September of 06, I bought a used 90 4Runner SR5 v6, and I'd like to get some tips with multiple old age issues.

1. after the oil filter was changed the first time from purchase, the truck started eating oil like there was no tomorrow...but it had held just fine for quite a while (a good 30 thousand miles). I have to throw in the equivelant of an oil change every month. is this normal old age on the seals?

2. my speedo electronics went out, according to the dealership (the overdrive off light is blinking). where is the thing exactly? I couldn't get a straight answer.

3. is there a place online to get power and torque stats for engines?

thanks
 
Well, according to wikipedia:
The 3VZ-E is a 3.0 L (2958 cc) version. Bore remains at 87.5 mm (3.4 in) but stroke is pushed to 82.0 mm (3.2 in). At introduction output was specified as 145 hp (108 kW) then later bumped to 150 hp (112 kW) at 4800 rpm with 180 ft·lbf (244 N·m) of torque at 3600 rpm.
 
How many miles on the engine? And was the filter properly secured?

Speedo electronics? Besides the over drive light, what else is going on as a result of the speedo electronics?
 
thatman: figures...another 145/185...must be an eighties made 3 liter thing. I musta missed that at wikipedia.

Azuremen:Home changed oil filter, and since it faces upright instead of down, we had a heck of a time getting a grip on it

miles depends on how tough Toyo designs these engines, but it started showing no more than 50% or so oil pressure at 191k, and had been perfectly fine before that. IE it didn't lose any oil pressure at all untill the filter was first changed.

whatever's going on with this little piece of electronics, it took out the speedo and Odmeters (though God knows we needed the break from the squaling drive gear on the speedo). it may also have contributed to the recent frying of my alternator, and this makes the 4th alternator I've had go conk on me in 15 years of driving. :P

another bit
how much effort is involved in 1. replacing the power window motors (the book I have for the vehicle isn't that clear, and gives me the impression that this happens all the time), and 2. redoing the fuel line from the tank to the engine (the line torqued off when trying to replace the fuel filter)
 
O/D light blinking: Usually transmission solenoid or internal failure. In most cases, Toyota will tell you to replace the transmission, but you could probably get it rebuilt for less. Dealerships are "production facilities", so its quicker to have techs "remove and replace" rather than rebuild. If a tech makes a mistake or has to repetitively diagnose with a transmission rebuild, it could mean a day or two wasted that could be better spent on other things.

As for the speedometer; possibly a wheel speed sensor (they like to go on old Toyotas) or an instrument cluster has gone awry. Those aren't so easy to rebuild, but I've heard of a few online tutorials for some speed/tach repairs.

Power Windows don't take that long; figure on about an hour. It may take longer to get the door panel off, as they were more complex on pre-1995 Toyotas. Now it's a couple of clips, a few bolts, and it's off. Once that's out of the way, the opening should be easy to work with.

We never had many fuel line issues, so couldn't offer any info on that.
 
Did you switch to synthetic oil or synthetic blend oil?
Did you go to 30 weight oil from a 40 weight or 50 weight.
That would explain a leak or low pressure.
It also seems that you may not have gotten the oil filter on tightly.
If you are not leaking a grand amount of oil, I would see if the vehicle has an old fasioned "vacuum modulator" for the automatic trans.
I know in older American cars, if the vacuum modulator is bad, the tranny will suck the oil out of the motor. (strange, but true)
Also check your radiator for oil. If there is oil in your coolant you likely have a head-gasket issue. Checking the compression in all cylinders would confirm this.
 
O/D light blinking: Usually transmission solenoid or internal failure. In most cases, Toyota will tell you to replace the transmission, but you could probably get it rebuilt for less. Dealerships are "production facilities", so its quicker to have techs "remove and replace" rather than rebuild. If a tech makes a mistake or has to repetitively diagnose with a transmission rebuild, it could mean a day or two wasted that could be better spent on other things.
what the dealership told me was that it was a piece of wiring had come off...I accept this because the same thing briefly happened with the Knock Sensor, and set a Fault Code. when they looked, the wiring harness was starting to disintegrate. two days later...nothin :P
my first Toyota, a fully loaded first year camry hatch, had major corrosion in the taillight cluster wiring, so I think that's toyo's weak spot.
As for the speedometer; possibly a wheel speed sensor (they like to go on old Toyotas) or an instrument cluster has gone awry. Those aren't so easy to rebuild, but I've heard of a few online tutorials for some speed/tach repairs.
it's in the cluster. on a cold day, the drive gear popped out and would squall untill it warmed up. before it went out completely, it would bury the needle. I was told it's an "electronic" cluster, but why would the needle wobble?

Gil: as I said earlier, the oil filter is in an Upright position, and hard for a non-professional (like myself) to get on without a "made for it" tool :P. the oil is regular...why waste synthetic in a 200 thousand mile engine?
the required up here is 10w-30 or 5w-30...we get sub freezing starts like you do.
I don't think there's vacuum in an Electronically controlled 4 speed with a power mode, but you never know. that's what took out the transfer case on my blazer (the one in my Icon). it WOULD explain, however, why my tranny oil is suddenly black. I'll look into it.
unfortunately, to do most things to the vehicle would require taking it to a very expensive professional garage that wants 60 bucks an hour labor :P I shoulda said something about this all being Homebrew stuff.

unfortunately, this car guy has never done more than change a few cables, some oil, and plenty of tires. I have a disability called Dyspraxia where MY wiring is kind of shorted out for some controlls, so, in order not to torque or round off nuts, or break something else while trying to fix things, I have pros or older guys do all this :P
 
Back