• 5 comments
Uruguay
Rivera
Tsukishima-TDUDT
512QunV.png
Toyota TS010 CN.007 '93
512QunV.png

file.php

The Toyota TS010 was a Group C racing car built by Toyota for the Sportscar World Championship, All Japan Sports Prototype Championship, and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

As one of the very few manufacturers Toyota was active in Group C from the beginning in 1982 all the way to the end in 1993. For the most part the Japanese team struggled to be competitive, but in the end their persistence paid off. Helped by a drastic rule change, Toyota finally bridged the gap with the competition. The new regulations were based around the 3.5 litre displacement limit also used in Formula 1 and created by the FIA to lure some of the major manufacturers from the hugely popular sports car racing to F1. In 1990 and 1991 the 3.5 litre cars were run side by side with the existing Group C cars, but from 1992 onwards only new cars were allowed to race. As one of the last manufacturers Toyota jumped ship and introduced their 3.5 litre Group C car, the TS010, during the last race of the 1991 season.

Toyota broke with tradition by employing a non-Japanese designer to pen the TS010. Having previously developed the Le Mans winning Jaguars, Tony Southgate was the ideal candidate to bring the Japanese manufacturer closer to the top. He was faced with an easier task than the engine designers as the chassis and aero regulations had not been modified much. Most importantly this meant that 'ground effects' was still completely legal. Inspired by the TS010's elegant predecessors, Southgate came up with a simple but effective shape. The new body panels covered a state of the art carbon fibre monocoque, suspended by double wishbones all around.

For the company's engine designers the TS010 meant a fresh start as the existing twin-Turbo V8 engine was no longer eligible. Perhaps inspired by the Renault and Ferrari F1 engines of the day they drafted up a V10 engine with a five valves per cylinder head. The new engine was constructed from aluminium alloys and had a V-angle of 72-degrees. At full pelt, it produced well over 700 hp, but for reliability reasons the performance was pegged back to around 600 hp for long distance races. Mated to a six speed gearbox, the engine was bolted to the monocoque, although not as a fully stressed member. The completed machine weighed in at 750 kg; the minimum weight dictated by the regulations.

One of three TS010s constructed specifically for the 1993 24 Hours of Le Mans, the CN.007 was entered for Eddie Irvine, Toshio Suzuki and Masanori Sekiya. After starting second on the grid, chassis 007 eventually ended the race in fourth. This was the final outing for the TS010 as the cars were rendered obsolete by rule changes. Recently restored, this TS010 was brought to the 2013 Goodwood Festival of Speed where it starred alongside the subsequent TS020 and TS030 sports racers.

Specs:
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

I said it before and I will say it again, most of the time I prefer cars without any kind of livery other than maybe a stripe. This here is a vehicle with a livery that I appreciate, I'm aware that there are at least 3 TS010's with different liveries, of which the Nippondenso is the only one that I like.

512QunV.png
Toyota TS010 CN.007 '93
512QunV.png

file.php

The Toyota TS010 was a Group C racing car built by Toyota for the Sportscar World Championship, All Japan Sports Prototype Championship, and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

As one of the very few manufacturers Toyota was active in Group C from the beginning in 1982 all the way to the end in 1993. For the most part the Japanese team struggled to be competitive, but in the end their persistence paid off. Helped by a drastic rule change, Toyota finally bridged the gap with the competition. The new regulations were based around the 3.5 litre displacement limit also used in Formula 1 and created by the FIA to lure some of the major manufacturers from the hugely popular sports car racing to F1. In 1990 and 1991 the 3.5 litre cars were run side by side with the existing Group C cars, but from 1992 onwards only new cars were allowed to race. As one of the last manufacturers Toyota jumped ship and introduced their 3.5 litre Group C car, the TS010, during the last race of the 1991 season.

Toyota broke with tradition by employing a non-Japanese designer to pen the TS010. Having previously developed the Le Mans winning Jaguars, Tony Southgate was the ideal candidate to bring the Japanese manufacturer closer to the top. He was faced with an easier task than the engine designers as the chassis and aero regulations had not been modified much. Most importantly this meant that 'ground effects' was still completely legal. Inspired by the TS010's elegant predecessors, Southgate came up with a simple but effective shape. The new body panels covered a state of the art carbon fibre monocoque, suspended by double wishbones all around.

For the company's engine designers the TS010 meant a fresh start as the existing twin-Turbo V8 engine was no longer eligible. Perhaps inspired by the Renault and Ferrari F1 engines of the day they drafted up a V10 engine with a five valves per cylinder head. The new engine was constructed from aluminium alloys and had a V-angle of 72-degrees. At full pelt, it produced well over 700 hp, but for reliability reasons the performance was pegged back to around 600 hp for long distance races. Mated to a six speed gearbox, the engine was bolted to the monocoque, although not as a fully stressed member. The completed machine weighed in at 750 kg; the minimum weight dictated by the regulations.

One of three TS010s constructed specifically for the 1993 24 Hours of Le Mans, the CN.007 was entered for Eddie Irvine, Toshio Suzuki and Masanori Sekiya. After starting second on the grid, chassis 007 eventually ended the race in fourth. This was the final outing for the TS010 as the cars were rendered obsolete by rule changes. Recently restored, this TS010 was brought to the 2013 Goodwood Festival of Speed where it starred alongside the subsequent TS020 and TS030 sports racers.

Specs:
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

I said it before and I will say it again, most of the time I prefer cars without any kind of livery other than maybe a stripe. This here is a vehicle with a livery that I appreciate, I'm aware that there are at least 3 TS010's with different liveries, of which the Nippondenso is the only one that I like.
That... Looks beautiful.

Back