• 9 comments
Uruguay
Rivera
Tsukishima-TDUDT
512QunV.png
Toyota TS050 Hybrid '16
512QunV.png

Toyota-TS050-Hybrid-63007.jpg

Toyota has officially launched its 2016 World Endurance Championship campaign with the unveiling of the TS050 Hybrid LMP1 challenger.

The manufacturer will field two TS050s in the upcoming season – the #5 for Sebastien Buemi, Anthony Davidson and Kazuki Nakajima, and the #6 for Mike Conway, Stephane Sarrazin and newcomer Kamui Kobayashi.

Pictures of the all-new livery white, black and red livery for the new car – as opposed to the blue liveries of its predecessors – were first released in February before the TS050 made its on-track debut later in the month.

Following a difficult season with the TS040, which lagged well behind Audi's R18 e-tron quattro and Porsche's 919 Hybrid in terms of pace, the TS050 has swapped the normally-aspirated V8 engine for a V6 direct injection twin-turbo engine.

"This is a very exciting season for Toyota Gazoo Racing, particularly because we have a completely new car with a new powertrain concept," said team president Toshio Sato.

"This reflects the current trend in road cars and gives us more opportunities to transfer know-how and technology into Toyota’s road car developments.

“Our WEC activities are motivated by the development of technology and people; we are already seeing the results of our activities in current road cars. But as well as helping Toyota to make ever-better cars, we also want to win.

"Our clear target this year is to compete again at the front, after a very disappointing 2015 season."

Technical director Pascal Vasselon added: "Aside from some principles which have been retained to capitalise on previous years’ development, we have changed every single part.

"In many areas, like the powertrain and the aerodynamics, the concepts themselves have changed. The aerodynamic concept, and particularly the front face of the car, has changed drastically."

During the launch, the team also confirmed that Toyota junior Ryo Hirakawa, who will drive the Thiriet by TDS LMP2 car in ELMS and the Le Mans 24 Hours, will be working and testing with the LMP1 team throughout the season.

Text by Valentin Khorounzhiy

Toyota-TS050-Hybrid-62990.jpg

Toyota-TS050-Hybrid-63006.jpg

1835920909924085253.jpg

10319255991051767946.jpg

7392829931808005281.jpg

Last edited:
...It's much less offensive-looking than the new Audi racer, but did Toyota have to take a pic of it parked next to that abhorrent turd box Prius??
Reminds me of TS040 images slapped on the back of my Prius Brochure because....well..Hybird. i agree with you tho.
yesyesyesyesyesyesYESYESYES
Toyota Fanboy Detected.
Looks even better than the TS040. I hope GTSport gets the TS040 and TS050, both would be a blast to drive.
True.
-----
Since GT Sport is about...well motorsport then we might see this or the TS040 in the game. You got my vote!

It is one of the most gorgeous looking LMP cars I have ever seen. Yeah, I know I am a Toyota diehard but I would feel the same even if I was not.

Looks even better than the TS040. I hope GTSport gets the TS040 and TS050, both would be a blast to drive.
I would expect GTS to have the 2014 WEC Manufacturers' and Drivers' Championships winning TS040-HYBRID as it is such a significant car in contemporary Japanese motorsport. We may see the 2015 TS040-HYBRID which would be great as it is even faster.

You will certainly not see the sexy TS050-HYBRID as you never see LMPs which are currently competing. The Nissan GT-R LM Nismo being the exception because of it's GT Academy connection plus it was a fraction of what Nissan intended it to be.

This when combined with the TS040 and the GT-ONE, well, just get also a TS030 and a TS010 and we got all toyota LMP's!
The TS040 isn't in GT. We have the 2012 TS030 and are getting the TS050. I would love to see the TS010 but don't see it happening.

Back