Track Making Competition

Sick_Cylinder
Custom Track Competition.jpg

This competition to design tracks for two of the rounds of the above championships is open to the following people:

1. Competitors in Sick Cylinder's current series (Historic BSCC 2 and AMOC 80 Intermarque - both Permanent and Reserve Drivers).
2. People signed up for the next series (1960 F2 and Cobra Sprint Series).

Competition Rules

1. Tracks must be suitable for an untuned LCC Rocket on comfort hard tyres.
2. Lap time guide - minimum 1 minute, maximum 3 minutes 15 seconds (with a competent driver).
3. Straights - ideally none long enough to hit the rev limiter (not more than 2 seconds on limiter acceptable).
3. Width - sufficiently wide to enable overtaking and recovery from slight driving errors, but narrow enough to produce a realistic period feel. (No less than 8m and ideally 9m or more)
3. Track must be a circuit which allows laps to be completed.
4. Tracks can be replicas of real circuits or replicas of fantasy circuits from other games or new fantasy circuits or modified versions of real circuits - i.e. any track.
5. Jumps are OK, provided they are not excessively high e.g. wheelspin inducing crests are good and Cadwell Park style crests or hump backed bridge style crests are OK, but jumps should not be large enough to cause cars to fly through the air in an unrealistic manner.
6. The final decision on which tracks to use in this series will be made by Sick Cylinder no later than 3rd April 2016. Tracks not used in this series may be used in future series.
7. Only tracks which you have made yourself will be considered.

To submit a track
1.If you are not already a competitor in a Sick Cylinder race series, contact Sick Cylinder and join the waiting list for a Reserve Driver slot. Reserve Driver slots will become available on a first come first served basis as other drivers leave the series.
2. Exchange friend requests via PS3.
3. Share your track (or tracks) for consideration via your community screen in GT6.

Track Testing
1. Tracks will be tested by Sick Cylinder using an untuned LCC Rocket on comfort hard tyres. NB these are the room limits used in the 1960 F2 Championship Series which will race on the winning competition tracks.
2.Those tracks which appear suitable for the LCC Rocket (and meet the above criteria) will then be tested with a Ford GT40 and Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe with simultaneous tuning limits of 485bhp, 581PP and 904kg on sports medium tyres. NB these are the room limits used in the Cobra Endurance Challenge Series which will also race on the winning competition tracks. If the tracks produces a faster time with the Cobra Coupe than the GT40, the track will be retested with a Shelby Cobra 427 on sports medium tyres and a Cobra Coupe on sports hard tyres (with the above room limits) NB these are the cars used for the first half of the championship.
3. Sick Cylinder is a competent, but not fast GT6 racer.

Feedback
Feedback on tracks tested will be posted on the reserved posts below.

Competitors
Please post details of the tracks you are submitting to the competition in this thread including all appropriate details e.g. track maps, driving impressions, links, inspiration etc.

Link to current series - Historic BSCC 2 and AMOC 80 Intermarque:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-rnd-5-nordschleife-7th-february-2016.316028/

Link to 1960 F2 and Cobra Sprint Series:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ck-competition-round-0-3rd-april-2016.331768/

Last edited:
Competition Track Tests

eran0004 - 3 tracks tested

Maiwald Ring - Eifel template (4.77 miles) A superlative track, supremely enjoyable to drive, which flows beautifully. Wonderful with the LCC Rocket on comfort hard tyres. I found that this track was slower for me with a Ford GT40 than Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe (Cobra Coupe), therefore if it is used in the championship, it would be during the first half when the gold and platinum drivers use a Shelby Cobra 427 on sports mediums and the silver drivers use a Cobra Coupe on sports hards. This combination gave the Cobra Coupe a 3.5 second per lap advantage. In view of its length and flow it would be best suited to a 50 minute endurance round rather than a 25 minute one.

Everyone should download this track and add it to their collection as it is so much fun to race around on your own!- you will be grinning from ear to ear!

However there is a big problem with the track width. I think that this track is one metre narrower than the Nordschleife and when I did a race test in arcade mode using GT500 cars I found it impossible to pass during the first minute or so of each lap. People are normally much harder to pass than the AI cars and although I haven't tested this track online yet against other drivers I suspect that it will be too narrow to produce a clean, successful race. @eran0004 Is there any chance of another version of this track with an extra metre of width? Everything else about the track is perfect!
A possible for the short list.

Twin Acres Raceway - Eifel template (3.38 miles) A superb track in all respects!
Very clever use of the contours of the ground create a fast, flowing track with some blind crests. The braking point at the end of the main straight is just before a brow. There is a sequence of S bends for which you lift slightly with the Rocket, but when you test this track with the GT40, the car feels alive staying just on the right side of out of control. The lap was approximately 3 seconds quicker with the GT40 than the Cobra Coupe which will make this an ideal track for the second half of our championship series. A test race was conducted in arcade mode and I found that passing places were plentiful and there was sufficient width to go around the outside of cars on some corners - the track produced an exciting race. This track is definitely on the short list.

Melders Brook - Eifel template (2.38 miles) A former GTPlanet Track of the week!
Personally I didn't enjoy this track and felt that there were too many corners relative to the track length. The Rocket was in low gears a lot with not much chance to flow and for the GT40 and Cobra's there was little chance to open the cars up and use their performance. It could be suitable if one half of the layout was used and one of the corner complexes was replaced by a wider radius high speed corner which would improve the flow of the circuit. Finally it was tested with a GT500 race in arcade mode and with these cars the track was extremely enjoyable and showed that the GTPlanet Track of the week title was rightfully earned. It is a superb track and well worth having in your track collection, but personally I didn't feel it was right for the LCC Rocket on comfort hards.

IfAndOr - 7 Tracks Tested

Each track was tested multiple times and with a range of cars

Dingley Dell (Previously known as Reabrook Raceway) - Sierra Template (3.11 miles)
An extremely good track with a lovely flow which enables you to build up a good rhythm. Despite the multiple high speed corners the track is not too fast for an untuned Rocket. The track goes uphill to the start line then over a crest and makes good use of changes of terrain. After testing a range of cars in time trial mode I tried a couple of arcade races with the Mercedes GT3 and Peugeot HDI Fap with the AI set at Professional level. The Merc race was an exciting three laps and I was able to win by a quarter of a second. The high speed corners made for an exciting arcade like experience with the Le Mans car - the changes in terrain and closeness of trackside furniture adding to the sense of speed, but I found the relative lack of braking zones made clean passing difficult. This had been my favourite IFAndOr track for a week or so, but after trying it with Le Mans cars I now believe that his Upsan Downs will suit my series better.

Upsan Downs - Sierra Template (3.62 miles)
As the name implies maximum use is made of the geography to create an exciting uphill and down dale track. This track really is superb, being the best Sierra template track that I have ever tried. It combines a variety of high speed corners in different gears which flow nicely with some subtle technical sections with good length braking zones which feel realistic and provide plentiful passing opportunities. This definitely makes it onto the short list and I think will prove very successful for online championship racing.

Shortun - Sierra Template (1.56 miles)
An attempt by IfAndOr to create a short, but exciting track - he has succeeded 100%. Although it is short and the layout appears simple, it is a very satisfying and realistic drivers circuit, with plenty of topographical changes and alternative ways of tackling different sections of the circuit. I tested with the following cars: Ruf BTR, LCC Rocket, Cobra 427, Cobra Daytona Coupe, Senna F1 and Senna F3. The track was very a very intense experience with the Senna F1 car - this on standard settings, RH tyres and power limited to 800bhp to simulate race conditions. Full review to follow...

Bonington Park Indy - Sierra template (2.70 miles)

Bonington Park GP - Sierra template (3.76 miles)

More to follow...

Last edited:
Here are the three tracks of mine that I think would work.

1. Maiwald Ring

(Click on the image above to go to the track page)

Track layout overlayed with the terrain contour map (green = low, white = high):

maiwald_mapwithcontours-png.501674

2. Twin Acres Raceway

3. Melder's Brook

mildersbrook_map-png.487315

Last edited:
Tracks for next series?

I used to be a big fan of the course maker in GT5, in fact I spent more time in that than I did racing. Most people found it "clunky" but I liked the challenge to get a good track out of it. In fact I first met Sick via my tracks!
So I was hugely disappointed when it didn't appear in GT6. And then I was disappointed again when my tablet wouldn't run it when it was relbrieft I only got a tablet capable of running the TPE a few weeks ago so I've been learning again as I go along.

I have no set plan or layout when I start a track, my inspiration comes from the terrain. I pick a pit straight and just create a simple circuit to drive around. If find an elevation change of even some scenery I like it may get developed further, if not it gets deleted and I start again. @eran0004 's elevation maps are a great help in this respect.
Each one takes many days of tweaking before I'm happy with it (and coming up with a name!), so I've only created four so far. Here they are...

Dingley Dell 3.1 miles - Andalusia
VBrzsEaVvrVqPUGR5_0.png
This was the first track I made so it's not quite so developed as my next efforts but I think it turned out fairly well. It's quite a fast circuit but can be tricky to get the right line.

Upsan Downs 3.6miles - Andalusia

My 2nd track. This went through so many changes before I was happy with it! I tried to create a "proper" track with this one so there's more passing opportunities. There's lots of smooth elevation changes also.
(The pit straight does tend to find the Rocket's limiter towards its end - but only briefly. The Shelby's/GT40's - no problem)
EFbsk64JR8F7zkTo4_0.png

Eifel Tour 2.6 miles - Eifel

My first try at a Eifel track. Again I don't think it's turned out too bad. Again fairly quick but with some technical bits to get through.
oU5XkLfhqCZoWbcHA8_0.png

Dimrill Dale GP 3.7 miles (2.7mile Indy track also available) - Andalusia

I'm beginning to get the hang of it more now and this track developed quite quickly - although there was still a lot of fine tweaking. Again I like the elevation changes. It's a track of two parts the earlier sections are a little more technical and the later a bit faster. I liked it so much that I created a shorter Indy version that hasn't got the faster right hand extension.
qsI5g8TJcyW1vx4PR_0.png

All are free flowing circuits, fairly wide and built with racing in mind*. There aren't any jumps and not really many surprises. Fairly easy to learn too. The Rocket will easily go around in the time given.

Anyway give them a go, any feedback would be welcome 👍 or 👎 :)

*(I wish I could change the track width and corner camber in individual sections, it would give more variety and realism)

Last edited:
I created a replica of Pau Circuit, a street circuit in France that was used in Formula 2 in the 1960 season, so i would fit quite well for next series. It's short and sweet a little longer than the original, i chose Andalusia because the Pyrenees are not that far away. :D See here:

Pau Circuit

It's the reverse layout for now, i'll do the regular layout later. :cheers:

I created a replica of Pau Circuit, a street circuit in France that was used in Formula 2 in the 1960 season, so i would fit quite well for next series. It's short and sweet a little longer than the original, i chose Andalusia because the Pyrenees are not that far away. :D See here:

Pau Circuit

It's the reverse layout for now, i'll do the regular layout later. :cheers:

Hi Tarnheld - can you put it as a shared track and then I can download it from your community page in game (I can't download via the GT Website on my main account).

Sick, i updated the Pau Circuit, now it goes the right way round, i also revamped the elevation and shortened the track a bit. Check it out in my shared tracks, the other one was renamed to Pau Circuit Reverse. :cheers:

I checked it against this video, i think i got the elevation quite well this time. :) The Rocket hits the limiter just at the start of the braking zone of corner 1. 👍

Custom Track Competition Update

When the competition was launched it was planned that the winning tracks would be used with our next championship series: 1960 F2 (LCC Rocket) and Cobra Endurance (Cobra v Coupe v GT40), however I have had to cancel the Cobra Endurance series because the current network system is no longer stable enough for long races. A new disconnection friendly series has been developed using short races: 1960 F2 (LCC Rocket untuned CH tyres) and Cobra Sprint Series.

I will incorporate as many custom tracks as possible into future series subject to the character of the series, tracks and cars - from 3 to 6 custom tracks will likely be used.

Sick, i updated the Pau Circuit, now it goes the right way round, i also revamped the elevation and shortened the track a bit. Check it out in my shared tracks, the other one was renamed to Pau Circuit Reverse.

I am considering this track, but currently there is a strange problem with the track - when used in arcade time trial mode it is not possible to record a time for a clean lap, because every time the car rounds the tight hairpin the game says that the car has gone off the track even though it hasn't!

@Mr Grumpy If you send me a friend request I will consider your tracks for future series, which follow the next series. I am only considering tracks from people on my friends list whose tracks I can download from their shared tracks in the community section.

The current series has spaces for the last three rounds - unfortunately the ongoing network instability problems which started about five weeks ago have resulted in us losing a few regular members - it is disheartening for people, some of whom have top quality broadband connections, to be unable to stay connected long enough to complete even short races. If you or a friend are interested in joining click on the links in my signature.

Last edited:
I am considering this track for the Rocket and Ruf. Currently there is a strange problem with the track - when used in arcade time trial mode it is not possible to record a time for a clean lap, because every time the car rounds the tight hairpin the game says that the car has gone off the track even though it hasn't!

Good catch, didn't try this myself! Will try to loosen the hairpin a bit to enable a clean lap. :D:tup:

Good catch, didn't try this myself! Will try to loosen the hairpin a bit to enable a clean lap. :D:tup:

I think this would help the circuit to flow, because at the moment the hairpin is a first gear corner (virtually a dead stop. It that was loosened to a second gear corner and some of the second gear corners were opened up slightly to allow a better flow / more speed I think it could be a very good track.

I think this would help the circuit to flow, because at the moment the hairpin is a first gear corner (virtually a dead stop. It that was loosened to a second gear corner and some of the second gear corners were opened up slightly to allow a better flow / more speed I think it could be a very good track.

I eased up the hairpin from 9m radius to 18m radius. It's now a second gear corner and should work in time trials too. You can check it in my shared tracks as PauCircuitLoosened. 👍

The track was very a very intense experience with the Senna F1 car - this on standard setting
I bet it was Sick! I'd designed the track using the Rocket (again). Your lap time was quite short I expect.
I didn't know you were trying this one out but I'm glad you liked it.

I eased up the hairpin from 9m radius to 18m radius. It's now a second gear corner and should work in time trials too. You can check it in my shared tracks as PauCircuitLoosened. 👍

Thank you for making the change @tarnheld I found the corners on this track still too tight to create a flow / rhythm.

I bet it was Sick! I'd designed the track using the Rocket (again). Your lap time was quite short I expect.
I didn't know you were trying this one out but I'm glad you liked it.

Winners.jpg

The two tracks which I enjoyed driving most with a wide range of cars and which were also suitable for an untuned LCC Rocket on comfort hard tyres were: Maiwald by @eran0004 and Shortun by @IfAndOr

Both these tracks are superb and both are very different, but in my view are equally worthy winners and equally enjoyable. Maiwald is a long track which has some similarities with the Nordschleife and like that track it is one which you can drive just for the sheer pleasure. Shortun is a track which despite its short length contains many challenges - it is easy to drive, but very hard to master so no matter how many circuits you do there is still more to learn and a different tactic to try. Everyone should download both these tracks and keep them in their collection.

Many other good tracks were submitted, the best of which have been added to the next series and the series following that. In view of the high quality I have included as many tracks as possible in the track list for the next series. Thank you to everyone who submitted tracks - your time and talent is greatly appreciated.

The track lists for the next two series are reproduced below:

Cobra Sprint Track List.jpg

Boss 302 Track List.jpg

Latest Posts

Back