track proportions

• Thread starter hm66
  • 7 comments
mhm66
I was watching the la mans series sunday and i struck me that there's somthing wrong with the proportions of the track width.It was very clear at the start just after the bus stop chicane.In the game there's only room for 3 cars side by side(just),but in real there's room for 4 maby 5 le mans racers.Is it because it's too hard to get the proportions right in the game,or do the game designers do it on deliberately to make the game more exciting (i.e close race).

I do not know if the proportions are right. I remember that the very first time I tried FC I went to Monza and I felt the track was too narrow (especially in the straight after the Lesmo corners.

However, you must keep in mind that if you try to stop five cars side by side in the Spa (GP) start/finish straight ... you probably can. The thing is that while playing, and because you lose so much "environmental" awareness when comparing to driving the car ion real life, the track looks narrower. You need its width all to yourself to feel comfortable.

Its not particularly "hard" to get the proportions right, it just takes more and more time the more accurate you want your graphics.
If we take GT5P (or Gran Turismo in general) as the peak, I'd say that Ferrari Challenege is very close, almost spot on.

There aren't any tracks to compare the two unfortunately, but I can compare Monza, Silverstone, Hockenheim and Montreal (Redwood Park) in F1:CE and they seem to be very similar, a few proportions of corners slightly different here and there.

The difference between these two games is because both these developers probably didn't take laser scans of the tracks, they probably at most went personally and took many, many pictures. So, when your level designer sits down to draw out the track in the game engine, their measurements and proportions may be slightly different - influenced from lots of things like angles of the photos, shading, the relative sizes in the game engine, etc.

For example, if I drive around Hockenheim in F1:CE and FC, I find that turn 3 is ever so slightly different in its angle and relative position from turn 2. Having never driven around the real track, I can't say which is closer, but there is an obvious (to me) difference.

I doubt its intentional, simply take it as the developers interpretation of what the circuit is like.

I think what the second poster is trying to point out is that the bus stop at Spa has been re-designed several times over the years. So you'd have to compare the version FC are trying to model with the version which existed at the time.

Back