track temp / grip

• Thread starter Ole
  • 12 comments

Ole

United States
Mpls MN
LRLR_BA_START
I'm hoping this a TUNING SECTION appropriate question as its about the setup of my vehicle.

In the bit of searching I did I couldn't find the quick answer...

Would a 10-15 degree temp change at the track affect grip

I'm running my first 24 hr race series (2hr actual drive time)
but the clock will sim 24hrs

Will I expect my grip to change in the evening cooler temps to daytime temp

I'm noticing that at Daytona the day temp / night temp is about a 10degree difference

I'm trying to prep for my mandatory compound change and am wondering when I should be using my harder compound and if it will be better to use them during the warmer hours

overthinking it? or does it make a difference?

Well, technically speaking, the degree of heat directly effects the length of a tires wear. I'm not really positive that 10degrees is going to make a difference of an amount you would even notice though.
but aside from that, from what I can see, it might be so minute you might be overthinking it.
Thats if the game designers included that scientific point into the game physics in the first place.

Ole
I'm hoping this a TUNING SECTION appropriate question as its about the setup of my vehicle.

I'm noticing that at Daytona the day temp / night temp is about a 10degree difference

I'm trying to prep for my mandatory compound change and am wondering when I should be using my harder compound and if it will be better to use them during the warmer hours

There is a grip reduction with temperature drop, you'll find a lot of tracks start to feel greasy after the sun goes down and the temperature drops.

The only way to make a decision on how to prepare for this change and which tyres you should be using is to test it yourself. Put a set of the softer tyres on and run for as long as you can, make note of your total time and the amount of laps completed, repeat the process with the harder compound and compare the numbers. The winner will be the one with the lowest average lap time when pit stops are taken into account. 👍

Ole

if you don't want to use the actually race for testing you can go online and set up a track thier with all the settings I think they use fast tire and fuel wear for the 24 hour races. weather changbility will need to taken into a account as well it starts to rain on lap 3 i think.
just set the room to 2 people so you don't get a crowd and have at it.

I'm actually wondering IF they DID adjust tire ware for temperature in the game.
In the outside world it is just a simple fact. But that doesn't mean they included it in the game physics.

Thank you DolHaus and Otaliema for covering the 'grip' side of the question, I was just trying to help him with what I did know, but I wasn't sure about the grip effects so I didn't mention it. Glad we were able to help him out :)

I think the only real way to test the ware amounts for temperature is to run test laps using real ware settings. But you would need a track you could adjust the temperature on.
Like Stage-X would be perfect. I know you can adjust time of day and precipitation, but can you adjust JUST the temperature? If you can, I would say just do laps until you see like the 2nd tire bar go out, and note the lap time. Then start over with a HUGE temp difference, like one at 70° and one at 20°.
See if the 70° degree one pops first. If it does then they included it, if theres no difference then they didn't.

my race is tonight...
so I'll report back with what I find
We're starting at 2 in the afternoon and even though I'd rather run a RS/RM/RS or a RS/RS/RM strategy

I think I may have to go RM right away at the start as that is during the day and I may have some "warmer temp grip" to help with my mediums... ? we'll see I guess.

....and then during the evening perhaps I will appreciate Racing Soft grip more - and when its cooler and darker and I need to be late on braking points if I cant see as good - more grip may help perhaps...

so... I think I may gamble and hope its modeled a little and we'll see if I can hang at the beginning of the race with RM when everyone else will likely run RS...

stay tuned....

Ole

- I attended a 24-hour race at nurburgring organized by "Team ZGT". al KRBR my team - Kart Racing Brazil, was invited to participate without pretensions to win, I ran 9 h in total and 1st half (5 h) after 2 h ending 2H, actually after dark is more difficult because the tires grip not heat up as much thereby spending also tire decreases. conclusion arrived at our penultimate because a pilot who slept in the box 3H lololo:D:cheers:

- I attended a 24-hour race at nurburgring organized by "Team ZGT". al KRBR my team - Kart Racing Brazil, was invited to participate without pretensions to win, I ran 9 h in total and 1st half (5 h) after 2 h ending 2H, actually after dark is more difficult because the tires grip not heat up as much thereby spending also tire decreases. conclusion arrived at our penultimate because a pilot who slept in the box 3H lololo:D:cheers:
taking a 3 H nap and still won? was it based on who crossed first after the time expired or total number of laps or distance traveled?

taking a 3 H nap and still won? was it based on who crossed first after the time expired or total number of laps or distance traveled?

- 3 hours at least matches 20 laps, then the time was the factor. with these 20 laps we would have come in 3rd place:cheers:

There is a grip difference for sure. I tuned my Ford GT05 at daytime Daytona initially and then adjusted for night time later. I looked at reducing springs, shocks and arb. I looked at adjusting ride height and I might have adjusted camber and other settings also.

I'm actually wondering IF they DID adjust tire ware for temperature in the game.
In the outside world it is just a simple fact. But that doesn't mean they included it in the game physics.

Thank you DolHaus and Otaliema for covering the 'grip' side of the question, I was just trying to help him with what I did know, but I wasn't sure about the grip effects so I didn't mention it. Glad we were able to help him out :)

I think the only real way to test the ware amounts for temperature is to run test laps using real ware settings. But you would need a track you could adjust the temperature on.
Like Stage-X would be perfect. I know you can adjust time of day and precipitation, but can you adjust JUST the temperature? If you can, I would say just do laps until you see like the 2nd tire bar go out, and note the lap time. Then start over with a HUGE temp difference, like one at 70° and one at 20°.
See if the 70° degree one pops first. If it does then they included it, if theres no difference then they didn't.

I think the best way to "adjust temperature" is by using 100% weather, but with fixed weather and 0% track wetness. That way, the track is cool without getting wet. You can compare that to your all dry settings at the same time of day.

Big diff at the Daytona road course tonight when the sun went down...
I'm so glad I used my mediums during the day and then soft at night and the next morning in my race...

Thank you for the tips...

Yes, so the moral of the story is - night races = different grip levels!! So if you're running a night race somewhere - do your testing and car setup AT NIGHT...
If you're doing a day/night race - make sure your car handles the less grip a course may have at night...

Less grip = a bit harder on the tires as well...

Last edited:
Back