Traction control -

• Thread starter EricB71
  • 12 comments
South Africa
South Africa
I am struggling with TCS settings, especially with the Gr 3 - 911. All is fine at TCS 2, but as soon as I try 1 or 0 there is no way to get out of slow corners. (I am using s G29) I have no problems running the Gr 4's on TCS 0.

Any clue?

BTW... let's not even talk about ABS off.

I'm learning GR3 without TCS but you can not drive it like a GR4. You really need to be precious with the throttle and leave full throttle until you have the wheel straight.

I'm about 3 seconds slower than top 10 in GR3 so dont take my advice as gospel however that is the only way i can keep the cars on track.

Have a look at some video and pay attention to throttle application.

It is possible with TCS 0 but takes practice. I do it with the controller. Noticed something very strange with TCS 0 with the 911. From a standing start floor the throttle and it starts gradually then you get wheel spin at about 50mph. But other cars if you do the same thing then you get loads of wheel spin immediately.

It is possible with TCS 0 but takes practice. I do it with the controller. Noticed something very strange with TCS 0 with the 911. From a standing start floor the throttle and it starts gradually then you get wheel spin at about 50mph. But other cars if you do the same thing then you get loads of wheel spin immediately.
Is this with revving the 911 before pulling or is it from idle? The 911 has a long 1st gear ratio stock so if you floor it from idle the 911 wouldn't be at its ideal powerband until around 50mph

What's weird though is that this should happen to similar cars with long transmissions, like the Cayman GT4.

As for OP, it really is all about throttle control. I previously mained a Porsche 911 and it handles perfectly as long as you're patient with the throttle :)
It does take practice though, because even with prior experience the 911 requires a bit more patience before getting to full throttle. Sometimes even in a straight line you can't really floor it (exits etc.) so there. I'm not an alien by any means (~1-2 seconds off the pace from top 10) so maybe something can be improved with my advice on handling the 911, but at the very least it keeps you pointed where you want it to be :lol:

Important thing for Gr.3 cars is to maintain a bit of throttle mid corner and very gradually increase the power on exit. Same works for Gr.4 but it’s not as important. The throttle isn’t on/off and I normally have some throttle on way before I’m full throttle. Best way to see this is watch top 10 replays. 👍

I think anyone using TC would benefit hugely from trying to wean themselves off it, not only to increase the challenge, but also the demands imposed on running without it, would result in more consistent lap times and less mistakes in a world where TC is prohibited.

I'd also like to add as I haven't seen it mentioned, is that the driver and lap time lists in races often interfere with being able to sight the exit kerbs just before you reach the clipping point on hairpins and this I believe is a big contributing factor as to why many are having problems with snap oversteer and then resorting to TC which is the wrong thing to do.

Definitely agree with trying to go without it. Only apply the throttle hard when the wheel is straight. But in doing this is gets you to sort your racing lines out for the best straightline exit so works both ways to make you quicker.

I found that lowering the top 2 diff settings by about half helped me in the 911 GR.3

I run everything with TC off although I did have a play with TC and found it to be very inconsistent. It seemed like with TC on 1 all it gave you was like a 5% safety net so if you took liberties you could still spin out, with it set to 2 the safety net was 10% and so on...... Those numbers are guesses but I think the theory seemed right. The cars feel more "alive" with TC off IMO.

Also, to expand on what Jmyguk said, if you are understeering at all it makes the car more prone to sliding. Best way I found to demonstrate that is in a GT86 road car with TC off and a power up tune, it hooks up easily if you are not understeering but will slide all over the place if you are.

I set it on to prevent rear snapping at corner exits, but after comparing there's not much help from it... At slow corners while easy on throttle (only to maintain speed, not accelerating) i see it constantly active & when shifting, but barely notice it at exits when actually needed. So IMO it's kind of working backwards.

Back