Trading In GT4

• Thread starter Rport03
  • 25 comments
[Ive tried searching for this topic but came up empty handed]

Now in GT4 they have the option of trading cars with another memory card. But when I try to trade all I can do is buy cars from the 2nd memory card. Now that kind of defeats the purpose of TRADING. So naturally I look at the manual and all it says is, you can TRADE AND BUY cars from another memory card. So the question is,

Why can't I trade cars? Why is it that when I try to do it, I can only buy them?

Last time I checked it was called Trading not Buying. Anyone one else have this problem or know how to fix it?

Anyone ever just give you several thousand dollars? Probably not. You can "trade" cars with another memory card, presumably your buddy's, buy purchasing a car from his garage. You must have enough credits to make the transaction. This works just as in GT3. You can see the sense in not just letting us toss cars back and forth, no? That way I could buy the game and come over to your house and star my career with a shiny new MInolta. How fair, or fun would that be?

why are the cost of cars when you trade cheaper than buying new :confused: going to trade/ buy my opera s2000 to modify it. new it costs 150,000Cr, trading costs 129,000Cr (or somthing like that)?

thebigmacmoomin
why are the cost of cars when you trade cheaper than buying new :confused: going to trade/ buy my opera s2000 to modify it. new it costs 150,000Cr, trading costs 129,000Cr (or somthing like that)?

Because technically you are buying a 'used' car. The car you are buying is owned by someone (the other memory card), therfore you are buying a used car. If you buy it from a showroom it is a new car.

Just like in real life, when you buy a used car, the value will be less than a new car because of depreciation.

Here is a tip though, when you buy the car from another memory card, though you won't get the modifications that were put on the car, you get it at the mileage it was ORIGINALLY purchased at. For example, buy a new car with 0 miles and drive the hell out of it...say 1000 miles. Make a copy of your save file in PS2 browser, then buy the car from that card. It will have 0 miles on it! Just like new (again)!

I see, but doesnt that defeat the purpose of the "TRADE" name in GT4, I never traded with anyone in the older GT's so I have no idea how it was before. But IMO if they have the name Trade, and the icon says Trade you should be able to Trade and not Buy from another card. Eh oh well. Thanks for the help everyone.

Dictionary.com defines "Trade" as:

1. The business of buying and selling commodities; commerce. See Synonyms at business.
2. The people working in or associated with a business or industry: a textile-exporting publication for the trade.
3. The customers of a specified business or industry; clientele.
4. The act or an instance of buying or selling; transaction.
5. An exchange of one thing for another.
6. An occupation, especially one requiring skilled labor; craft: the building trades, including carpentry, masonry, plumbing, and electrical installation.
7. The trade winds. Often used in the plural with the.

Number 4 is an interesting one. The ACT, or an instance, of buying OR selling. Transaction.

In the GT series, that's precisely what a trade is - the act, or an instance, of buying. A transaction.

still its kinda stupid that the manual says "trade or buy". in this sense the definition of trading is Xcar for Xcar and buying is Xcar for Xmoney.

5. An exchange of one thing for another. - in this case a car for money.

Exchanging one thing for another thing of the same ilk, regardless of value, is known as "swapping".

Famine
5. An exchange of one thing for another. - in this case a car for money.

Exchanging one thing for another thing of the same ilk, regardless of value, is known as "swapping".
I think the confusion comes where it says we can trade AND buy. Sure, by definition, a trade can be a purchase, i.e. trade cash for car, but the manual is misleading in that it implies a difference.

To be fair, in the context shown, it's not an inclusive "AND" but a bridging "AND".

They're saying "You can perform this function AND IN DOING SO create this outcome."

A comma would have been nice, to clarify it - "You can trade, and buy cars from another memory card."

On the other hand the PAL manual says "You can trade or sell cars to another memory card", which is patently horse s***.

Well Famine I do understand what your saying. But yes it is misleading IMO aswell because of that and. Even though this isnt the best example in the world but when you ask someones what trading is they usually say its a trade of something for something (car for a car).

At Webster.com they have this

Main Entry: 1trade
Pronunciation: 'trAd
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle Low German; akin to Old High German trata track, course, Old English tredan to tread

1 a obsolete : a path traversed : WAY b archaic : a track or trail left by a person or animal : TREAD 1

2 : a customary course of action : PRACTICE <thy sin's not accidental, but a trade -- Shakespeare>

3 a : the business or work in which one engages regularly : OCCUPATION b : an occupation requiring manual or mechanical skill : CRAFT c : the persons engaged in an occupation, business, or industry

4 a obsolete : dealings between persons or groups b (1) : the business of buying and selling or bartering commodities : COMMERCE (2) : BUSINESS, MARKET <novelties for the tourist trade> <did a good trade in small appliances>

5 a : an act or instance of trading : TRANSACTION; also : an exchange of property usually without use of money b : a firm's customers : CLIENTELE c : the group of firms engaged in a business or industry

6 : TRADE WIND -- usually used in plural

7 : a publication intended for persons in the entertainment business -- usually used in plural
synonym see BUSINESS

I tihnk number 4 and 5 explain it pretty well and it makes perfect sense in the way PD wrote it in the manual, with Trading and Buying. I just think they should of let you either buy it or trade a car for a car, just like what the manual says but then again too late now huh :D

Famine
To be fair, in the context shown, it's not an inclusive "AND" but a bridging "AND".

They're saying "You can perform this function AND IN DOING SO create this outcome."

A comma would have been nice, to clarify it - "You can trade, and buy cars from another memory card."

On the other hand the PAL manual says "You can trade or sell cars to another memory card", which is patently horse s***.
Ahhh. See, it's the comma that makes all the difference. "...trade, and buy..." is different than "trade and buy". 👍 Good work, man.

Famine
Dictionary.com defines "Trade" as:

1. The business of buying and selling commodities; commerce. See Synonyms at business.
2. The people working in or associated with a business or industry: a textile-exporting publication for the trade.
3. The customers of a specified business or industry; clientele.
4. The act or an instance of buying or selling; transaction.
5. An exchange of one thing for another.
6. An occupation, especially one requiring skilled labor; craft: the building trades, including carpentry, masonry, plumbing, and electrical installation.
7. The trade winds. Often used in the plural with the.

Number 4 is an interesting one. The ACT, or an instance, of buying OR selling. Transaction.

In the GT series, that's precisely what a trade is - the act, or an instance, of buying. A transaction.
For a guy named Famine, you certainly are a feast of information. :) :) :)

Can I buy/trade prize cars to?

Now that the new Nissan GTR PROTO is out I'm really starting to miss my GTR Concept in GT4.

Could I do the licence again on my other memory card to get the GTR Concept prize car and then buy/trade it to my first savegame?

You can't buy the GTR Concept in GT4, only win it. But can you buy/trade it from another memory card??

The GTR PROTO looks great!!!

IMG_0959.JPG

http://www.gtrproto.com

Fletch
Can I buy/trade prize cars to?

Now that the new Nissan GTR PROTO is out I'm really starting to miss my GTR Concept in GT4.

Could I do the licence again on my other memory card to get the GTR Concept prize car and then buy/trade it to my first savegame?

You can't buy the GTR Concept in GT4, only win it. But can you buy/trade it from another memory card??

YES!!!

You can trade/buy "non buyable" cars. 👍

I got all silver on the IA test on my second memorycard and got the GTR Concept.
Switched cards and went into the trade function, choose the GTR and got a message saying "although this cars has not been given a prize, 200.000 cr are needed for a trade-in"

So now I have my lovely GTR Concept again :)

There is a gotcha:

If a car is not initially available in Arcade Mode, when you win it or buy it in Simularion Mode, it normally becomes available ("unlocked") in Arcade Mode. However, if the only way you have acquired such a car in Simulation Mode is by "memory card trade", then the car is not made available in Arcade Mode.

A related question:

Why aren't the mods that were bought and equipped to the car in the trade equipped to the car?

The parts were on the cars in GT3, but aren't in 4. :grumpy:

I believe the technical reason is because the parts and settings information is maintained in main memory for only the current car. In order to import the parts and settings information for a car purchased by trade, it would need to force you to make that car you current car.

But it definitely reduces the usefulness of memory-card trade compared to former versions of the game. I doubt they made the change to intentionally prevent the importation of tuned cars; it was probably just a side-effect of the "autosave required when switching cars" feature which allows a 1000 car garage.

They could have switched your current cars for you when you bought cars via memory-card trade, but that would have been a pain too. Overal it would have been worth it, though. :(

The reason new and used car purchases, and even prizes, can be added to your garage without switching your current car is that they are obtained in a known standard state, and so, we assume there is simply a short list of "acquired cars" in main memory which will be saved when the game is next saved. So you can view the new method of memory-card trade purchases as a bug or oversight. The game designers arranged to purchase the cars in the same way as you acquire cars from within the game, forgetting that the owner of the garage may have modified them extensively.

A nice benefit of this is that you can always "get back" your cars in nearly their original state. I'm not sure how mileage works, however.

Ran into how unnatural this is again.

You'd think they'd have managed to transfer mileage, chassis wear, and oil state during trade, but apparently not.

And I guess the price reduction is fixed, independent of how far you have driven the car.

My PS2 is unavailable at this minute, but I'll check sometime what mileage you get when you clone a used car using trade.

And also, the seller doesn't get the money spent for the car, i don't THINK they lose the car, and the buyer loses the money (obviously)

Interesting. I knew the original "owner" doesn't get any money for the trade, but I never thought to see if mileage and stuff gets transferred. I'm in the habit of trading cars to different memory cards without actually driving them beforehand.

Perhaps I'll check to see how this works tonite and report back.

Last edited:
Anyone know if you are able to utilize cars that are only available in other regions?

To explain...

If I have an NTSC version of the game, and a friend has a PAL version and I want to trade/buy one of his cars that is only available on PAL (ie; Esso Ultraflo Supra '01 which I believe is only available in PAL, JPN versions of the game), will it be playable once I get it in my garage?

There is a gotcha:

If a car is not initially available in Arcade Mode, when you win it or buy it in Simularion Mode, it normally becomes available ("unlocked") in Arcade Mode. However, if the only way you have acquired such a car in Simulation Mode is by "memory card trade", then the car is not made available in Arcade Mode.
Strangely, I ran into this again today. And hadn't remembered discovering it before. So I went looking for confirmation. And found myself.

So the Cougar XR-7 '67 was not available in Arcade Mode because I am redoing S16 on a secondary memory card to collect colours.

Latest Posts

Back