France
Paris
BlueShift
Usually the "tranny trick" is done in a few steps :
- Lowest autoset speed (or highest)
- Highest final ratio (or lowest)
- Lowest 1st gear ratio (or highest)
- Then staging the other gears
- Then changing the final depending on the track.

It seems that the bolded part doesn't change the individual gear's minimal ratios, at least on my GT350, did you noticed that ?

What's the purpose of changing it, then ?

It seems the tranny trick is no more...

Bolded part is first step. The number you enter here will change the individual gear ranges, but you wont see them change until you move the auto slider

Last edited:
The trick does work, if you can call it a trick.
It's actually just one method among many.

I find it to be very usefull in GT6 so far.
The only thing I've found different in GT6 compared to how it worked in GT5, is that the first 2, sometimes 3 but usually just 2, gears don't reflect the same way at all.
Those first 2 are so vital to the whole transmission.
You can, and it usually do, set the rest of the gears just like we used to. But then setting the first 2 is another story entirely.
You need to find out how much torque the car needs to get 'motivated' at a relivent speed, as far as first goes.
And second, needs to back that gear up, sometimes being slightly higher, but often slightly lower.

The funny thing is the HOW MUCH is needed doesn't seem to follow the same way on every car. As in, not every FR car with around 1,200kg, and around 400hp is going to want the same settings for 1st and 2nd.
But, technically, they should. I mean, I think this is where the game is becoming more realistic then before.
Like, a classic GMC v-8 versus a v-6 made from Nissan, with the same weight and power, will react differently in real life. I believe the game has adjusted for this difference now, where in the past it hasn't. Which is cool and all, but now makes us work harder when it comes to the fine tuning.

I do this to get the gear spacing where I want:

GranTurismotransmissionsettings_zps238debfe.png

I first set the Final Gear to the lowest or close to the lowest. I set the Max Speed far right. I use the lowest value available for 2nd and the highest value available for my top gear. I plug them into my Excel calculator, and set my final for what works best on any given track.

I find that often, with the typical 6-speed transmission, I have to use the 5th speed for my top gear in the calculator, and adjust 6th.

I generally set 1st gear to the lowest value available, but I assume there are low power cars that one might want to have more torque at the wheels in first rather than less. A low power car might work better with higher numbers, but for high power cars... minimum is best.

Note that for brevity in calculating, I dropped the decimal points. If you want to use the decimal points, then in the formulas with "round," change the "0" to "3"

Back