Tranny Trick made no difference

• Thread starter poopity
  • 7 comments
United States
MT
This is more a comment then a question.

I ran two laps on Trial Mountain (this is my standard track to practice and setup). First lap was with default tranny settings and the top speed set slightly higher then my top speed on the track. The second lap was using a tranny trick i found on this site.
Results were nearly identical in lap time, just hundreths apart.

I suppose if i had any question it would be, does the tranny trick work well on some tracks and not others? I say that because i never went below 3rd gear at any time on the track, using a 6-speed transmission, but there are some tracks that you are constantly shifting on (Cote De Azur comes to mind).

It depends on the car you use and the track you drive on. As you say tracks which require lots of shifts might make better (or worse) use of a custom transmission setup. If you compare to the stock transmission of course it also depends if the car in question has bad, good, or even very good gears when stock, how these gears interact with the current specs of it (engine power for example), and how this configuration can be used in combination with the track of your choice.

This is more a comment then a question.

I ran two laps on Trial Mountain (this is my standard track to practice and setup). First lap was with default tranny settings and the top speed set slightly higher then my top speed on the track. The second lap was using a tranny trick i found on this site.
Results were nearly identical in lap time, just hundreths apart.

I suppose if i had any question it would be, does the tranny trick work well on some tracks and not others? I say that because i never went below 3rd gear at any time on the track, using a 6-speed transmission, but there are some tracks that you are constantly shifting on (Cote De Azur comes to mind).

If you never dropped below 3rd gear, then you've done something wrong. You've probably not adjusted your final gear so that your indicated top speed (top right hand corner of the transmission screen) matches your desired speed for the track.

Detail the car and exactly what you did, then we'll stand a chance of fixing the problem for you...

{Cy}

EDIT: I guess it is possible to never dropped below 3rd gear, but I would expect at least 2nd gear going into the second tunnel, at the end of the straight after the same tunnel and at the top of the hill after that straight. Maybe you're amazingly quick and don't need to drop the cogs that far down...

If you never dropped below 3rd gear, then you've done something wrong. You've probably not adjusted your final gear so that your indicated top speed (top right hand corner of the transmission screen) matches your desired speed for the track.

Detail the car and exactly what you did, then we'll stand a chance of fixing the problem for you...

{Cy}

EDIT: I guess it is possible to never dropped below 3rd gear, but I would expect at least 2nd gear going into the second tunnel, at the end of the straight after the same tunnel and at the top of the hill after that straight. Maybe you're amazingly quick and don't need to drop the cogs that far down...

I usually set shorter low gears so not using 1,2 on TM is normal for me.

If a car develops a relatively flat power band high up in the revs towards the redline, stock trannys will keep you in there just as well as the tranny flip. You should see some benefit however from lowering the Final Gear Ratio because it alone provides some speed benefit.

{Cy}

I think you are right, I probably am amazingly quick. LoL, right.

What are your numbers before and after? This is the tool that I use to compare gear boxes. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Akr4MBOtjOcqdGw1RjVpOS14R0htZXQ4NEZDUzBRWmc Praiano uses another method that produces similar results.

To say, "I did the tranny trick and my lap times weren't faster" isn't enough detail to diagnose the issue. What problem were you trying to solve? Some gearboxes don't need to be flipped.

I have seen it posted that the real value of the tranny trick is that it makes the gears more close together, a closer box. That's not entirely true. Sure they will look closer together as you raise final all the way and lower top gear all the way, but that all changes back as you lower the final again. You can take a normal gearbox and move the gears closer together and achieve the same gear spacing. The real difference and the reason to do the tranny trick is that you can make 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd have less torque than the stock box. This can be helpful for 1st gear launches and for more control off of slower corners with higher powered cars.

If you don't need this extra control off of the slower corners, then I wouldn't expect that the tranny trick would help lap time. In fact, on low powered cars, it could actually be slower as you may end up bogging down 2nd or 3rd gears?

What are your numbers before and after? This is the tool that I use to compare gear boxes. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Akr4MBOtjOcqdGw1RjVpOS14R0htZXQ4NEZDUzBRWmc Praiano uses another method that produces similar results.

To say, "I did the tranny trick and my lap times weren't faster" isn't enough detail to diagnose the issue. What problem were you trying to solve? Some gearboxes don't need to be flipped.

I have seen it posted that the real value of the tranny trick is that it makes the gears more close together, a closer box. That's not entirely true. Sure they will look closer together as you raise final all the way and lower top gear all the way, but that all changes back as you lower the final again. You can take a normal gearbox and move the gears closer together and achieve the same gear spacing. The real difference and the reason to do the tranny trick is that you can make 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd have less torque than the stock box. This can be helpful for 1st gear launches and for more control off of slower corners with higher powered cars.

If you don't need this extra control off of the slower corners, then I wouldn't expect that the tranny trick would help lap time. In fact, on low powered cars, it could actually be slower as you may end up bogging down 2nd or 3rd gears?
The 2 benefits of the tranny trick are getting the gears closer together, and lowering the final gear.

And of course, you don't have to make them longer than needed. (no bogging needed)
To think out loud, you barely need the tranny trick anymore with PL, so I wouldn't expect more than small gains on a lot of "tests".

Back