Transmission Gearing Glitch - Found on Short Ratio non-adjustable trans...

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 14 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
So I noticed something today after running a couple races at Suzuka East with my Demio Cup. Per the series rules, a short ratio 5-speed transmission is required to participate. While running at Suzuka East, the car with this transmission should top out at 75mph in 3rd gear, and be right at redline in 5th gear before braking for turn 1.

A few of the cars in the race were able to hold 3rd gear through the esses, at 80+ mph, and were not hitting redline on the front straight. I know using a fully adjustable transmission you can usually hear the gear whine in the replay, and I use this to make sure people are compliant. After the race I asked them to confirm they are using the short ratio trans, and they are.

So, is this a weird glitch of sorts? Anyone else come across it?

After some testing(car was built to the specs found in your signature), I found that it depends on weather you equip the short ratio 5-speed transmission before the engine mods or after (10kph difference in 3rd gear). Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Either boost is on by accident, or a lobby glitch.
Apeers I was treed by the return of the "transmission glitch":nervous:

After some testing(car was built to the specs found in your signature), I found that it depends on weather you equip the short ratio 5-speed transmission before the engine mods or after (10kph difference in 3rd gear). Hope this helps.
Well that's not cool. Looks like I will have to make a "do this before doing this" adjustment to my series specs. Will do some testing tomorrow and confirm and post the correct procedure.

Well that's not cool. Looks like I will have to make a "do this before doing this" adjustment to my series specs. Will do some testing tomorrow and confirm and post the correct procedure.
I've just done a bit more testing and a definite order and list of power parts fitted when the trans is fitted is needed.
Here are some results;
With transmission fitted before the power parts, 3rd gear tops out at 139kph with 224kph top speed. With all of your specified power parts installed before the trans, 3rd gear tops out at 129kph with 209kph top speed. Then I tried removing the computer, sports exhaust, exhaust manifold and trans(leaving the cat &intake), then re-installed the trans followed by the rest of the power parts and got results roughly halfway between, 3rd gear tops out at 135kph with 218kph top speed. Many different ratios for one box depending on the order fitted. I knew this was the case for the race trans but never thought it would affect a fixed ratio box (the ratios do change).

I've just done a bit more testing and a definite order and list of power parts fitted when the trans is fitted is needed.
Here are some results;
With transmission fitted before the power parts, 3rd gear tops out at 139kph with 224kph top speed. With all of your specified power parts installed before the trans, 3rd gear tops out at 129kph with 209kph top speed. Then I tried removing the computer, sports exhaust, exhaust manifold and trans(leaving the cat &intake), then re-installed the trans followed by the rest of the power parts and got results roughly halfway between, 3rd gear tops out at 135kph with 218kph top speed. Many different ratios for one box depending on the order fitted. I knew this was the case for the race trans but never thought it would affect a fixed ratio box (the ratios do change).
LOL wow. Way to go PD...

Thanks for taking the time to figure it out. Did you test online or offline?

That's exactly it, and is on the game since release, i dont think it should be classified as a glitch. And the gearing will change depending on the amount of power you add (same modifications = same gearing). The best thing to do is to fit the transmission at the end, if it's already installed, you can reset it to default and the gearing will be changed to match the current power.

If everyone follow the same order or reset it to default at the end, the gears will be the same.

So what about going the opposite way? Say for example, you restrict the engine power using the limiter to say 80%. Will changing the trans first still give you a speed increase, or would the opposite occur, you loose speed?

Let's see if i can make it clear.

The game calculates the gears based on top speed and the modifications you have(more rpm), ( the power limiter, weight reduction and aero parts dont affect it). The final gear never change.

Lets say you instal a 6-speed on you car, and the top speed that the tuning sheet shows is 230 km/h. Your engine is capable of 7.000rpm(stock), you go to the track and in 6th gear you reach 227km/h @ 7.000rpm.

Now you instal a bunch of engine mods, and your engine can reach 7.700 rpm. You instal a 6-speed again(or reset to default) and you will see your gears get shorter (ex: 0.842 to 0.926).

Why? Because the game wants you to reach the same top speed that you had before(227 km/h), but since you have more rpms it shortens the gears, now you will reach 227km/h @ 7.700 rpm.

So the only way for you to gain top speed is to instal the 6-speed transmission before all the engine mods, this way the gears will be longer and you will reach 248km/h @ 7.700rpm.

Last edited:
Another potential answer to al those; "why am I so slow online" threads!

;)

@R1600Turbo, i hope that my previous post was clear enough for you to understand what is going on in your Demio Cup.

Some guys are able to hold 80+mph in 3rd gear and not reach the redline because they are probably installing the transmission before all the engine mods, so the game calculates the top speed based on the original redline.

@R1600Turbo, i hope that my previous post was clear enough for you to understand what is going on in your Demio Cup.

Some guys are able to hold 80+mph in 3rd gear and not reach the redline because they are probably installing the transmission before all the engine mods, so the game calculates the top speed based on the original redline.
Yeah, thanks. Although the game is doing something it shouldn't be, but I guess we will just have to live with it.

This applies to all transmission types, not just the fixed ratio boxes.

It's also been this way for a long time, I'm pretty sure since GT2. It was definitely this way in GT5.

It is only a problem with modifications that alter the RPM range.

It has certainly been there since GT3 where with some cars the order you install power upgrades effects overall power and the power curve as well. So you you could build up a spec car for time trial competitions just randomly install the upgrades and your car could end up with around 15bhp more or less then someone elses, then after all that your gear ratios could be different as well.

So with no absolutely no intention of gaining an advantage your could be posting times using a car with a few more horsepower and better ratios for that track. Alternatively you could be losing tenths on the straights and be completely oblivious.

There is a lot to be said for stock racing (depending on oil changes and running in mileage of course!)

Back