Transmission help: Standing start launch

• Thread starter TheClarky
  • 2 comments
United States
New York
dmclark190
Self explanatory, I need some pointers on how to tune first gear for an optimal jump off of the line. I need the info since I run in a DTM league, and the start of the race is a grid start, and I would like to pick up easy spots right off the bat.

A flipped transmission helps as it creats a trans with a tighter gearset...very helpful on cars with peaky or narrow power curves. Useful when you can pull almost a car length out of every corner by keeping the engine in the sweet spot.

As a 1/4 mile drag racer I usually tune first gear (sometimes launching in 2nd or even 3rd) so when wheels are spinning the revs hold near the peak HP and not bouncing off the rev limiter, on cars with a lot of low end torque you can get away with the car launching and holding revs at a much lower rpm like 5k, each car is different...pay attention to the HP/torque curves.

The above is fine for full throttle launches but spin out in a corner and you may find yourself wasting time due to 1st bogging at low rpms...again the severity of this problem is dependant on the car (HPA Golf is a total slug in this regard) You may want to set up the car for a 1-2 quick shift off the line, this way 1st gear should work much better when trying to get onto the track from a sandpit.

If you run any aids such as traction control or skid recovery force then what I just typed is useless except for the flipping part.

If you search for 3k drag transmission tunes they tend to work quite well on circuits too.

A flipped transmission helps as it creats a trans with a tighter gearset...very helpful on cars with peaky or narrow power curves. Useful when you can pull almost a car length out of every corner by keeping the engine in the sweet spot.

As a 1/4 mile drag racer I usually tune first gear (sometimes launching in 2nd or even 3rd) so when wheels are spinning the revs hold near the peak HP and not bouncing off the rev limiter, on cars with a lot of low end torque you can get away with the car launching and holding revs at a much lower rpm like 5k, each car is different...pay attention to the HP/torque curves.

The above is fine for full throttle launches but spin out in a corner and you may find yourself wasting time due to 1st bogging at low rpms...again the severity of this problem is dependant on the car (HPA Golf is a total slug in this regard) You may want to set up the car for a 1-2 quick shift off the line, this way 1st gear should work much better when trying to get onto the track from a sandpit.

If you run any aids such as traction control or skid recovery force then what I just typed is useless except for the flipping part.

If you search for 3k drag transmission tunes they tend to work quite well on circuits too.
I dont run any assists, so ill try it out

Latest Posts

Back