Travel advice wanted

• Thread starter Boffin
  • 7 comments
Australia
Australia
I’m planning a bit of a car-related trip over to Europe starting sometime early in May (yes, I am leaving the final touches a tad late!). I’m reaching out here as I figured GTP is probably the place where I fit in with enough people who could possibly share experiences with any given event, or help out with some tips for any other aspect of the journey. I’ve saved up a bit to try and make it happen, and I am probably going to leave my work so I don’t have to deal with time constraints - its all a bit of a motoring pilgrimage for me, filled with things I have wanted to do for years and years.

Ideally, the events that I’d love to go to would be:

Mille Miglia

Nurburgring 24hr

Le Mans 24hr

Goodwood FOS

Also being considered if the timing is right:

British F1 GP

Wimbledon

Goodwood Revival

Spa 24hr

Have you been to any of the listed events? How did you find them? Were they worth it? Would you have any advice for any of it (getting there/ticket access/vantage points)? Am I missing something?

I shall be bringing my camera to perhaps try and score a small amount of work on the side. Shooting for a motoring publication has always been the professional ‘big picture’ but the industry in Australia is sadly lacking, with only a few names regularly shooting and a great deal of the visual content outsourced from European counterparts. I’ll be shooting for the fun of it, but I’d be really keen for any opportunities that I stumble upon or people I can talk to. I’ll have to look into visas if I go that route and really push for it.

Logistics-wise, my initial plan was to buy an old beater car shortly after my arrival in the UK, as I have no idea how I’d otherwise tackle something like the 24hr races in backpacker guise, or see the Mille Miglia. I’d need something biggish, so I can sleep in it if necessary (hello Volvo 740), however I understand that the main killer is the insurance prices (I’m 25) and perhaps renting something for each event out of the UK might be cheaper?

I don’t really have anyone coming with me, save for the odd relative joining for trip to Goodwood, so I’d love to meet up or even tag along with anyone going to any of the events.

I’ve not booked anything yet as (very ironically) there might be a nominal chance of an opportunity at a local magazine, but they’re such small odds and I really should start planning the trip for when it most likely falls through.

Just thought I’d throw a line out there as I’d imagine quite a few people who might impart some wisdom with literally any of the aspects of this trip, and any advice, stories, warnings, car-buying/renting tips, (even web/magazine connections) would be greatly appreciated.

<3

I'd be reluctant to recommend the British GP. Ticket prices go up and up and your movement around the circuit just gets more and more restricted. There are very few places now where you get much of an overall view of the circuit and for a fast track, you never get a good sense of speed, even when it's F1. If it's F1 you want to see, i'd be more tempted by either Spa or Monza. I'd even consider Baku. The tickets seem really cheap and it looks an amazing city. If Silverstone is a 'must see', the Silverstone Classic would be a better way to enjoy the circuit. Not only would it be cheaper, but there'd be more to do and see away from the on track action and the racing will be more entertaining anyway.

As for buying a car over here, i guess it depends on the cost of insurance as a foreigner over here with no fixed abode. But it's certainly worth looking into the cost over hiring a car every time. Bigger cars over here tend to be cheaper used than smaller cars are, due to a majority of used car buyers wanting something small. You could get a Volvo V70 petrol or diesel for about £750 with plenty of room with the seats down in the back to sleep in. You'd not loose much when you come to sell it when your time here comes to an end either.

Sent you a PM.

Cheers awfully 👍

I'd be reluctant to recommend the British GP. Ticket prices go up and up and your movement around the circuit just gets more and more restricted. There are very few places now where you get much of an overall view of the circuit and for a fast track, you never get a good sense of speed, even when it's F1. If it's F1 you want to see, i'd be more tempted by either Spa or Monza. I'd even consider Baku. The tickets seem really cheap and it looks an amazing city. If Silverstone is a 'must see', the Silverstone Classic would be a better way to enjoy the circuit. Not only would it be cheaper, but there'd be more to do and see away from the on track action and the racing will be more entertaining anyway.

As for buying a car over here, i guess it depends on the cost of insurance as a foreigner over here with no fixed abode. But it's certainly worth looking into the cost over hiring a car every time. Bigger cars over here tend to be cheaper used than smaller cars are, due to a majority of used car buyers wanting something small. You could get a Volvo V70 petrol or diesel for about £750 with plenty of room with the seats down in the back to sleep in. You'd not loose much when you come to sell it when your time here comes to an end either.

Ahh this is exactly the sort of knowledge I was after! To be honest, I wasn't all that set on the GP, and I don't have a great need to visit Silverstone like some of the other places. Its just that I have never been to a GP race and Melbourne has never really tickled my fancy as a race circuit. Baku would certainly be an interesting alternative and Monza would be fantastic, but I completely understand the point about the events getting more and more closed off and increased spectator regulations. I'm really on for a more 'open' event where I have half a chance of getting some good shots.

I'll have to tott up the pricing for used cars/rental cars - only problem is every UK based online car sales site requires a postal code, so I'll have to get one of my relative's and work off that. Resell was part of the considerations, too. I guess it'd be much easier to own the car and take it everywhere, but if I get stung the cost price of the car as insurance for driving it for a few months, it might change my mind a tad..

Cheers for the help!

-----------------------

Has anyone been to the 24hr races? What was it like as a spectator? Is it the sort of thing where you have a set seat and stay in one place or can you pitch a tent and walk around the fence of the circuit as you please? Would you be able to drive from one area to another once it is underway?

@Boffin, are you in the US? Are you a naturally born US citizen or a VISA holder? Just keep in mind immigration issues before leaving US soil.

I'd highly recommend the FOS. Such an open event, can be quite expensive but it is worth the price you pay. I've been twice before and I am returning this year.

I can sit here all day and tell you all about it which you've likely heard from others who've been before and/or seen it on TV etc. But I feel that you don't really understand what it's all about until you actually go.

Back