Trick to taking off...

• Thread starter Serum
  • 28 comments
Japan
Aokigahara
What is it? I always get left when say, headed uphill at suzuka east (section). Everyone takes off as a group and the group pulls away from me on the straight.

Is it because I'm a fanboy and stick to the jdm roots and i'm not in a super/pseudo-super car, grippy car or muscle car?

To little throttle? I say little because when I lay on it (like everyone else whose bouncing limiter yet pulling away) it's worse.

More hp?

Sup?

I usually tap the throttle like a maniac to the point where I get traction and power, that usually minimizes the wheel spin.
(I do this method since I'm not able to adjust the gearing and use the H-pattern shifter)

Or the guys you were following don't believe in courtesy rolls?

@Serum

You need to drift with other people, that actually want to tandem with you. I don't mean this in a rude way to you, in fact it's the other people you've experienced being rude.

They were basically ignoring you, good tandem etiquette is to courtesy roll the guy following you to the first initiation so that a close and fair (of course FUN) tandem can be had. :)

If your car is slower off the mark, it doesn't matter, they shouldn't leave you behind like it's a drag race.

/

On take-off, I start in 1st going through the gears to 3rd or 4th depending on section.

I usually just use 1/2 to 3/4 throttle for take-off (Yes I'm using DS3 but I can still modulate throttle input to a degree).

/

Add me if you want to tandem some time - MCR-Streets

:cheers:

What Streeto said ^
It's NOT a drag race !
(I posted this somewhere else, don't exactly remember where now, perhaps it was on the GT memes thread?)

10358133_507135582746373_3630441260541315197_n.jpg

I've seen those types of lobbies way too many times. People in their corvettes blasting away before the pack returns, causing collisions etc. Theyre not worth it to tandem with anyways so I'd sugest just to stay put and wait till theyre gone :lol:

@Streeto, it's not that they don't want to tandem because everyone waited to line up. I think the lead car didn't know because there was so many cars behind
him. I'll add you tonight.

@Djhashbrown @nk4e I think it may come down to gearing. Come to think of it, that may be why my z32 does so well when taking off. I use an h-pattern shifter aswell so I feel you on gearing hash. I wish Kaz would fix this because a clutch could be used with a dog box. I want an os-giken 1st-3rd gear set in my 180sx Kaz.

@Isho, You know it. That little $*** shikamura does it all the time. Those lobbies are fun though, because when I get sick of being rammed I pull out my aventador on rs and go hunting.

What I do is wait with my friend and after everybody go, we go, result is better and more organized tandems.

As others have said, don't waste your time with those kind of people. They're ego is all they care about :lol:

I too consider myself to be slow off the line. It's probably a combo of my gearing, reaction time, internet connection, mixed with the fact I don't give a 🤬 about drag racing to the first corner. I think a large part of it is that many people just simply don't get the fact that even a difference of half a second between when two cars start, can lead to a gap of several car lengths opening up by the time you reach the initiation point.

I've kind of given up on asking for courtesy rolls at this point. I've realized that if I need to ask someone for a courtesy roll, they're not really someone I consider worthy of my time. Unless you're drifting for your first time, you should know what a courtesy roll is, and how to do them properly (slowing down by brake checking someone is not a courtesy roll, FYI).

I've had people laugh too, and call me and/or my car slow, when I ask for a roll. The funny thing is though, when doing full laps, these same people can't keep up to save their lives :lol:, in cars that are supposed to be "fast".

I'll go out on a limb and make this statement, but I really feel that courtesy rolling is a skill that a large number of drifters lack. I'll go even farther and say that a large number of people who consider themselves as "good" don't even know how to check their mirrors (ie look backwards) when leading.

What the Canadian said :lol:

Actually answering your question @Serum, I've come to not give a flying ****. I'm slow off the line, I accept it, and I don't care. Least I can hit the CP's and carry a decent line throughout the section/track.

Let's be honest, that's what really matters.
GS300 problems :lol:

It does pretty well actually bro, 1400kg puts down the power better than some.

I've got about 100kg in the rear, I don't like 50/50 in this game so 53/47 or 52/48 is the sweet spot for me.

I ain't one of those Formula D drag racers anyway so... :lol:

;)

Maybe I'll try that, I always run 50/50 on everything I drive. (if its possible on the car)

Maybe I'll try that, I always run 50/50 on everything I drive. (if its possible on the car)

Yeah I did that in GT5, but I feel it gives you too much rear grip in GT6.
Same here, I used to run 50/50 (or more) in GT5, but like @Streeto said, I find it gives too much rear grip in 6. I also found that too much weight in the rear was causing the car to over rotate during transitions. Now I run 53/47 to 51/49, depending on the car and power.

I ain't one of those Formula D drag racers anyway so... :lol:

;)

slow-clap-gif.gif

I wish there were more people like this not only here, but online also.

I was in a lobby once where I was asked about what I thought about some FD outcome. I told them I'll sit this conversation out, because I don't care about wins or losses, only car style. I haven't watched kept up with FD since Tommy Roberts. Someone responded, "whose that?" I said, exactly.

Mr. Wang has me convinced I should start watching again.

I have alot of trouble in my 1J supra also. I tend to sit next to the guy I wanna follow as I generally get left behind anyway. Otherwise I only tandem with the people that wait for me, or I ask them to wait if they want a decent tandem.

I'm so jealous of all you tandem drivers, affording to complain about courtesy rolls. I can't even take up the rear of a train on Suzuka without hitting something or dirt-dropping. Especially uphill. I am useless at take-off leading and following too. Anyone wanna babysit me for a while???:dunce: :D

At least you've had the experience to tandem with someone. I've never tandem before at all. Hell, I just recently learned how to chain drifts on Suzuka East, but tandem is a different ball game. I'm still trying to get drifting down without fail. I've got it down, but not to the point of where I can confidently say I'm back to where I was in GT5. *sigh* one day I'll tandem with you all.

Back