• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 10 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
This is a general thread on three-wheeled motorcycles. Riding on two wheels can be quite fun no matter what kind of bikes you're into. But adding one more wheel can make your bike more like a car. I've seen customs which have a custom rear to them that makes them half-car, half-bike. Post and talk about some of your favorite tricycles.

My all-time favorite trike is the T-Rex by Canada's Campagna Motorsports. Here is a bike that has a character imbalance- part of it is a Formula One race car for the road while the other part is a MotoGP race bike for the road. Read more about this awesome machine by visiting this link: < http://dgycom.wordpress.com/2008/02/12/t-rex-campagna-three-wheeled-motorcycle >. Should you manage to see one of these on the street, it is guaranteed to be a head-turner. The rear of the T-Rex isn't shown in the link I provide, but the back end of it is a motorcycle.

Now on to something that just crossed my eyes earlier Saturday. Thoroughbred Motorsports created a three-wheeler called the Stallion. T.M. is based in the city of Troup, Texas. Though I am a native of Texas, I have no idea where Troup is. What I'm hearing is that it's in the hills of eastern Texas. Anyhow, Thoroughbred Motorsports created a machine called the Stallion. The TM Stallion uses a lot of Ford parts to create a unique three-wheeler. It packs about 155 horsepower. The horsepower numbers put it on par with some of the more high-end motorcycles. It can seat two-people a bit like a touring bike. Find out more about the TM Stallion by visiting this link: < http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/14/thoroughbred-motorsports-stallion-trike >. This thing doesn't come cheap. The cost of this thing is expensive for motorcyclists. About $29,950 gets you this bad boy. It's a marriage of motorcycle and Ford parts.

You all can talk about your favorite three-wheelers. Three-wheelers are usually considered motorcycles, so I'm bringing them up here.

Heres a couple I saw at the Harley Drags..

ettrike.jpg

trirod1.jpg

You could say one specific motorbike is MP3 compatible. In fact, the Piaggio MP3 scooter ( http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/15/piaggio-mp3-three-wheel-scooter ) has three wheels to it. And if you ask me, they look like alien vehicles. They are more like aliens with big eyes and a large mouth ready to bite into anything it comes into contact with... or just to scare off children. I don't even think they can be "cute" if you colored these MP3's in pastel pink with a red bow stickered onto the lower portion of the windshield. A caption someone made was "for those afraid to ride on two wheels. Well if that's true, then explain the T-Rex three-wheeler. I hear these scooters could be capable of 170 miles per gallon. They may look like aliens or alien vehicles, but are rather unique scooters.

I always think of these dirt tricycles that were stupidly unsafe.

white3wheeler.jpg

But I haven't seen one, even at the sand dunes, for years now.

That's because they were stupidly unsafe, and we have quads now. :sly:

The liability issues being what they are, nobody sells them in the US, and haven't for quite a while.

And if you ask me, they look like alien vehicles. They are more like aliens with big eyes and a large mouth ready to bite into anything it comes into contact with... or just to scare off children.

But they look awesome, the Piaggios. I've seen a few, and they stand out of the regular scooter-crowd as much as a CBR or Ninja. Perhaps even more, because after realizing what it is, you realize just how weird it is.

Plus, reviews of them put their cornering in a league of it's own - logical, seeing as it's got twice the wheels up front. One reporter said: "most bikes have an easily-reachable maximum cornering-speed. This one probably has one, too, but it's further away from the limits of my driving, that's for sure."

My favorite trikes are definitely the trikes with the rear VW engine, tranny, and suspension such as this:
Trike.JPG

Back