Trident Magna Diesel 2012

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 7 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

As manufacturers, consumers, and governments try to make performance cars greener, a lot of attention has been paid to plug-in hybrid and battery-electric sports cars. But what about a diesel?

687atj.jpg

Diesels may routinely win the 24 Hours of Le Mans, but they haven’t really been accepted in performance road cars. The British Trident Iceni hopes to buck that trend, adding new body styles to its proposed diesel sports car.

The Magna fastback , regardless of the body style, the Iceni’s styling is classic sports car. This is no Volkswagen Jetta TDI.

Of course, the main selling point of the Magna isn’t its styling, but its diesel powertrain. It consists of a turbocharged 6.6-liter V8, connected to a six-speed automatic transmission.

With 395 horsepower and 700 pound-feet of torque on tap, the Iceni will do 0 to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds, and reach a top speed of over 190 mph, according to Trident.

Yet the diesel engine should also make the Magna incredibly fuel efficient. Trident estimates its cruising range at around 2,000 miles.

Trident is currently taking orders for all three body styles of this best-of-both-worlds sports cars, with prices starting at around 96,000 British pounds (around $161,000 at current exchange rates). While it hasn't built any cars yet, Trident says the Iceni will be available globally.

magna-front-34-nearside-970x548-c.jpg

magna-black-34-nearside-970x548-c.jpg

magna-side-black-970x548-c.jpg

trident_logo.jpg

THE OTHER TRIDENT IS HERE

Last edited:
Actually looks quite good. Altho' not for one second I believe that range of 2000 miles....especially if you drive this the way it was intended.

Actually looks quite good. Altho' not for one second I believe that range of 2000 miles....especially if you drive this the way it was intended.

Me either. No way of 2000 miles running in 100-190 mph :crazy:

Holy Christ. we found the second messiah :lol:

I'm kind of worried about throttle response though. It's a common issue with diesel cars IIRC.

Holy Christ. we found the second messiah :lol:
I'm kind of worried about throttle response though. It's a common issue with diesel cars IIRC.

From the manufacturer
Trident announced final specifications and pricing for its two-seat supercar which in its standard form promises a top speed in excess of 190mph and a cruising range of 2,000 – yes, 2,000 – miles.

It's unbelievable, but they are talking here about: 2000 miles miles with one full tank cruising at highway speeds.

Let's wait and see.

Back