Trouble drifting at high speeds...

• Thread starter Chojo
  • 10 comments
hello...

I've been watching lots of GT4 drift videos lately, and notice that many people enter drifts at very high speeds... how exactly do you do it?

I've read all the FAQs and everything but still don't have it down right... I always have to slow waaaaaaay down before a turn to have an *almost* proper drift. Especially for U turns, and even wide U turns, I need to slow down to about... 60-80 k/h before I start the drift o__O. And this is definetly not the speed I've seen dozens of people initiate drifts at. The problem is that if I go any faster, there's HUUUUUGE (and i mean HUGE, FREAKING, FATTT) understeer!!!!! I do the lift off the pedal thingy which is supposed to give you over steer... and BAM, I go in a perfectly straight line, right off the road and into the grass.

What do you reccomend? Should I just start the drifts earlier at high speeds? Oh, and also, how do I maneuver the drift around a U turn? When I drift, It kinda goes in a straitish line and doesn't really curve AROUND the U turn... actually, now that I think of it, I don't think I've EVER gotten ALL the way around a U turn by drifting, no matter how wide it was, cause my car doesn't curve around it, it kinda goes at like a 45 degree angle and I have to knock the drift off about halfway through the turn before I get thrown into the sand...

Like, I think to solve my slow drifting problem, I just needa start it earlier... and I try to do that... and it seems like it almost works... but my car never curves around the turn, and I can't find out how to make it do that.

Can anyone help me with this? Am I doing something very wrong? ^__^;

I think that if you're going -too- fast, you'll almost always lose it and slide a lot more forward into the grass/wall. try inniateing the drift sooner, slowing down, or etc.

Sometimes when people dirft they make the car sideways before a turn so that they slow down while sideways. It's very hard to time right when you need to start going sideways though.

its hard to tell what you're doing wrong from here though.

Yeah, I tried the sooner thing... and tried slowing a bit down (but still more than 70 k/h, lol...) but I still can't get the car to swing around the curve, it just swings more in a straight 45 degree angle and off the middle of the curve. And plus, when I go slower, I find that my drift just kinda stalls half way through the drift.... it actually gets really annoying, haha...

You might want to try loosening your front suspension, making it less stiff. That way the car has more gove and the weight transfer is more effective.

It all depends on the corner, you'd have to show us very specificly whats happening, otherwise you'll have to figure it out by feel alone, along with our suggestions.

Sometimes lift-off oversteer wont really occur. For example I can't get the m3csl sideways like that for the life of me. Try fainting before you enter the turn, and just as the car starts to go sideways give it gas. That way, you'll have a big angle to start off with and you can usually hold it longer like that.

I'll wait for your picture though and reply again.

Drifting high speed? First of all it depends on what kind of drifting you want to do, race drifting is fast but you would use very little angle and try to get as much grip as you can.

In terms of entering a drift fast you will have to learn to judge what the the car is willing to do,most people don't realize this but no matter how good you are you can only do so much with a car,practice and see what the car wants to do,some cars will be very easy to control at high speed and or stay sideways longer and are very forgiving when it comes to snap back(Honda NSX is one of those cars in my opinion), of course no one who would want to go fast would want to drift. . .not if you want to make good lap times anyway.

Do you mean when you come to a corner at the end of a long straight like on grand valley speedway? because this is the problem i have, when i do slow down i then don't have enough power/speed to make it all the way around the corner.

If the car does not understeer like that at low speeds then you should try increasing front downforce by 3-8. Downforce has less affect at lower speeds, so this really only seems to affect high speed drift. I would also try different techniques to entering drifts like feint (like slo-car said). I always fine tune my drift settings with manjis because feinting is my primary method of drifting. I actually tune some drifting cars at the test track. While accelerating during a manji, if you have a hard time kicking the rear out as the car gets faster, then you add front downforce/ lower rear downforce. If the car becomes snappy and uncontrollable, then lower front downforce/ increase wing.

Latest Posts

Back