Trouble keeping pace at hairpin

• Thread starter Baunez
  • 8 comments
Denmark
Denmark
Hi guys.

I have serious trouble getting on the throttle out of hairpins.
Its turn 11 at Suzuka and turn 1 on Spa. When I race in daily race or against other peoples ghost, I can see I loose about 0.3-0.5 sec.
So when I watch replay very carefully on where other people breake, and when they go on the throttle, and I try to repeat that, my car simply wont turn enough and I exit wide out of the hairpin.
I have tried all the different breake bias settings and tried all kinds of lines through the corner... and Im left frustrated.

I use a G29 wheel.

Have you guys any idea of what Im missing?

Trail braking is the most important skill I have learnt since racing on GT Sport.
In the case of Spa T1 if you brake just past the 100M board, use the turn in cone and trail brake until you take a late apex and feed the power on as you run the car to the exit kerb.

Hi. I also have some hairpin troubles. I can sympathize completely with you over the Suzuka hairpin.

Recently I've been finding/thinking that the turn in point and acceleration point are more important with hairpin turns than others. I've been going a little faster through the Suzuka hairpin by turning in later than before, which allows me on to the power a little quicker.

The Spa hairpin I don't find as bad - especially right after that horrible, joyless chicane. There is a lot of track on the far side of this turn so I'm turning in straight over the kerb and running a shallow wide line out to the far side.

I think these ways are a little quicker than taking the corner "straight up" or just by the feeling of flow into the corner. Hairpins are an important part of any quick lap because a good exit is always needed. Try to prioritise speed coming out of the corner, even if this means sacrificing a couple more MPH on your way into the turn.

Keep trying, experimenting. The more different ways you can get around a particular corner the less of a pain it will be when you don't get to drive your ideal line there because of traffic.

EDIT: Also trail braking.

Yeah trail breaking is something I do too.
Lets focus on T1 at Spa. Its really the only corner in sector 1, so its fairly easy to compare how well you do the turn.
I saw kie25´s time for sector 1, its 42.49x, in the Mclaren 650. For me, it takes 3-5 tries to simply get a 42.8xx. I once did a "fantastic" 42.61x.
Most often I do a 43.0xx.

How well do you guys do sector 1?

Racing isnt as simple as it looks on TV, is it? haha :embarrassed:

I watch replay very carefully on where other people breake, and when they go on the throttle, and I try to repeat that, my car simply wont turn enough and I exit wide out of the hairpin.
One tricky thing with a wheel is the amount of steering input. You can't see other people's steering input in a replay, once it's beyond the end of the range of the red dot. Are you turning the wheel too far and getting understeer, in an attempt to turn more?

One tricky thing with a wheel is the amount of steering input. You can't see other people's steering input in a replay, once it's beyond the end of the range of the red dot. Are you turning the wheel too far and getting understeer, in an attempt to turn more?

Yes I turn the wheel too far, its a bad habbit. But does it affekt the turning in a bad way? Then I must work on that part too ;)

How long have you been racing GT Sport or other Sims?

I bought the wheel december 2018, thats when I startet :) Since I have a full time job and kids and so on, I cant spend many hours every week playing, but I try to do it serious when I have the time. My PS ID is Baunez, so you can go see my Kudos Prime if you want ;) Im an A and S driver :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great ratings!
I asked because I am new to the game and my overall opinion is that I am pleased that the game is difficult/realistic. It really is very sensitive to input information as others have said above, the speed and extent of inputs will affect levels of grip and momentum. As a new sim racer my next goal is to reduce audible tyre squeal as going sideways isn't going forwards. Smoothness has been my focus so far and it has rewarded me with some decent laptimes and race results.

Thats what I appreciate too, the level of difficulty and reward when doing it right :)
But... loosing up to 0.5 sec in 1!! corner, that needs to be taken care of! ;)

Back