Trouble With GT4 on PS2

  • Thread starter Thread starter 88mph
  • 16 comments
  • 754 views
Messages
10
Something is wrong with my game. For a while now, the game has been running slowly, but I haven't done anything to it to possibly make it slower. My memory card has tons of room on it, so that's not the problem. Finally, last week, it quit on me, and my console won't recognise the disc. Trying the console with other discs proved successful. In an attempt to solve the mystery, I purchased a new disc, with the exact same results. If anyone can help solve this mystery, I'd be much obliged.

88mph
 
Sounds like the infamous "Disk Read Error", that can affect older PS2s.
Unfortunately, this means your PS2 is on its last leg.
 
Last leg? I got that console in 2004. How can the console be on it's last leg if it's only two years old? Besides, all my other games work well on there.

88mph
 
Sometimes it only really affects one game. It may not be DRE, but that's just what it sounds like.
Do you have an original PS2 or a Slimline?
 
The PS2 console I have is an original; like I say, purchased in 2004, and used for the past two years without problems until now.

88mph
 
Well the original is more prone to DRE. And mine only lasted about 3 years before I had to get a slimline.
 
How am I able to solve my problem short of getting a new slimline console?

88mph
 
Do some reseach on the net, there are ways that have been done that might work, just look around, you might be able to DIY. Just find the solution that matches the symptoms for your PS2, and you might be able to give it a shot. It may turn out it is not DRE, just look around a little.
 
Thanks, 3 Wheel Drive. By the way, can you please find & post a picture of a Slimline for future reference?

88mph
 
No problem, man.

Here's a slimline:
_40879774_ps2_203.jpg

It's tiny, quiet, and so very awesome.
 
Thanks, 3 Wheel Drive. I'll post back here if I need anymore help.

88mph
 
This thread is getting lenghty with just us. If you need more help, just PM me.
 
88mph, I purchased a repair manual last winter. The address is www.videogamerepair.com. The manual is 19.95 and most if not all of the solutions for common diagnoses.
 
88mph
Thanks, 3 Wheel Drive. I'll post back here if I need anymore help.

88mph
Just do a search here for [SEARCH]disc read error[/SEARCH]
 
Ive had my PS2 for years and it was suffering from bad grinding noise, I did 30 minutes research on the web for the info and ended up opening the machine to give it a general spring clean, adjusted the lense and cleaned and lubricated the worm carriage...now it works like a brand new machine!

Doesnt cost a penny, just be very careful, have a good workspace and the right tools and get as much info as you can before you start.
 
these dre and all that are interesting,i had my ps2 since 2002 and never had a problem once,never froze,nothing and i have it on alot,i guess i got one of the good ones.But i also vacume the vents on the ps2 to keep it dust free :)
 
Back