Truck racing online. Loads of fun!

  • Thread starter Thread starter chuyler1
  • 4 comments
  • 707 views

chuyler1

Premium
Messages
4,547
United States
New Hampshire
Messages
chuyler1
First video was with boost off. All trucks tuned for 450pp on racing soft tires. Real close and relatively clean racing (the draft provides just enough boost to make things interesting).



Second video was with boost on. Some people picked minivans thinking they'd be quicker on this tight course. What they didn't plan for was the sheer weight of the trucks which are not as easily upset when bumped. I wish the microphone audio was included in replays because this was a hilarious race.



Join us Monday nights from 9:30-12:00 EDT.
Details: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=193193
 
Believe it or not, at 450pp the trucks are quite competitive. They've got wide enough tires to compensate for their added weight. I can run lap times within a second of some of my fastest 450pp sports cars.
 
I was interested till I saw Racing Soft, again. Trucks should be lumbering, understeering and oversteering through the corners and roaring down the straights. All the fun of trying to slow it down and then balancing the car is taken out of it just for faster lap times imo.

I know I've posted something similar in another of your threads, and I'm not trying to have a go, but I see so many rooms on the list that I would be really interested in joining, if they did not use crazily sticky tyres which basically (especially at the lower end of the performance scale) remove 90% of the car control aspect of racing. And I really cannot work out why they do that. :(
 
Occasionally I forget to switch out the tires and i start running laps. Aside from changing brake points and corner speeds, if a car is dialed in right it doesn't make all that much difference. I ran 10 laps on SS tires in my RX-8 running clean 1:33s instead of 1:30s at Trial Mountain wondering why the car was so slow. It felt fine but was a little short on grip. Then some asked me if I had the right tires installed. Sure enough that was it.

Tire selection may be a difficulty selector in A-spec mode, but it is just a speed selector online. The cars will still oversteer/understeer/drift, but at higher speeds. People who are used to SS tires consider it arcade-like because they simply aren't pushing the tires to their limit.

However the one place you've got me at is wheel spin. Most cars at this power level will not break loose the drive wheels. This removes some of the challenge but it also equalizes FF/FR cars with AWD cars and makes downforce a non-factor.
 
Back