Trying to get used to no ABS

• Thread starter Toast999
  • 24 comments
United States
Anywhere, USA
iH0pey0uch0ke
So, in this installment of Forza, I'm trying to not use ay driving aids at all. The only driving aids I use were ABS, but I'm tired of it. I seem to brake too early because if the AI is on my tail, they will run into me. I know not to just slam on the brakes, so what's the best way to brake & corner without ABS?

Oni
Without ABS, walls become your best friend, so its been hard to ween my self off ABS!

The ABS is a lot stronger in this game? I never used it because I stopped using it with the F-Class races, and those cars seem to take forever to reach 110mph, so they were super easy to brake, but atm I'm doing B-Class races and I feel slow going in and early.

The ABS is a lot stronger in this game? I never used it because I started using it with the F-Class races, and those cars seem to take forever to reach 110mph, so they were super easy to brake, but atm I'm doing B-Class races and I feel slow going in and early.

So for corners without ABS, slow in and fast out, much like unprotected sex. Those F-Class racers take forever to do anything, let alone 110.

Oni
So for corners without ABS, slow in and fast out, much like unprotected sex. Those F-Class racers take forever to do anything, let alone 110.

Opps, I meant Stopped using ABS in F-class races:dunce:

If you're feeling up to some light reading, look up threshold braking techniques. Basically you have to find the point where your wheels are just about to lock and try to hold your braking there as much as possible. This will give you the maximum stopping force possible, and you'll be faster than when you were using ABS. Good luck!

A good way to practice is to bring up the telemetry and switch to the tyre grip screen.

As you brake you can see how close you are to braking too hard. After a while it will just become second nature.

Practice with the Senna NSX-R race in Rivals. That car is super sensitive on the brakes, makes driving other cars seem easy later on. Good car to learn throttle control too.

I try to get used to it too but I notice there's no difference between no abs and with abs until you lock the breaks. At that moment if you have abs well you can still get out of the corner with minimal casualties, without abs well you have to react super quick release the break and reapply but without locking again. Much harder to correct.
So yeah until F to A class I use no abs, higher I still use abs.

I find you can go much harder going into corners without ABS, using the gears at the right points and trail braking help it to turn in, feeling like ABS hinders my lap times rather than helping them. I turned it off one day, when I was mucking around, and havent looked back since

I haven't used ABS from the start. A few races in I found the right pressure needed to stop quickly without locking up the wheels.
Playing with 360 controller.

I might turn it on to see if it lowers my lap times.

Put a sponge behind the Microsoft Wireless Wheel brake pedal also makes it easier to brake with ABS off. MWW pedals are not strong enough to wear shoes but works fine barefoot or with socks.

I found no ABS to be easier in FM4 than FM3. I also set my brake pressure up to 130%, though that's personal preference more than anything else.

I found no ABS to be easier in FM4 than FM3.
At least with a controller, no-ABS was never worth it in the previous games, IMO.

The new larger "sweet spot" makes no-ABS much more playable, even preferable, but the 360's trigger is awful for brake feel. I still play Enthusia, and one of the interesting things I found more recently is that the PS2 controller's shoulder buttons make for good analog triggers (better than the SA/DS3's actual triggers, which give me hand cramps). The throttle control is adequate, but the feeling of modulating the brakes is excellent. Just press and adjust the pressure, like the real thing.

Between this and the worthless "manual w/clutch" option due to impossible button placement, I wish the 360 had something along the lines of that HKS PS3 controller.

Back